• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Obama restored the Endangered Species Act in March 2009, which requires agencies to seek approval of the Fish and Wildlife Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in order to to determine if actions will affect endangered species.

All summer long California farmers have been receiving the shaft due to them being denied water due to an endangered fish. Farms are turning to dust, workers laid off, people's livelihoods are being destroyed. This will lead to rising cost of produce and higher unemployment.

Thank you President Obama, for supporting minnows before Americans.
    California Farmers Say Feds Making Drought Worse

california_drought_0610.jpg

FIREBAUGH, Calif. — The road to Todd Allen's farm wends past irrigation canals filled with the water that California's hot Central Valley depends on to produce vegetables and fruit for the nation. Yet not a drop will make it to his barren fields.

Three years into a drought that evokes fears of a modern-day dust bowl, Allen and others here say the culprit now isn't Mother Nature so much as the federal government. Court and regulatory rulings protecting endangered fish have choked the annual flow of water from California's Sierra mountains down to its people and irrigated fields, compounding a natural dry spell.

"This is a regulatory drought, is what it is," Allen says. "It just doesn't seem fair."

For those like Allen at the end of the water-rights line, the flow has slowed to a trickle: His water district is receiving just 10% of the normal allocation of water from federal Bureau of Reclamation reservoirs. He says he's been forced to lay off all his workers and watch the crops die on his 300 acres while bills for an irrigation system he put in are due.

"My payments don't stop when they cut my water off," Allen says.

Although some farmers with more senior water rights are able to keep going, local officials say 250,000 acres has gone fallow for lack of water in Fresno County, the nation's most productive agriculture county. Statewide, the unplanted acreage is almost twice that.

Unemployment has soared into Depression-era range; it is 40% in this western Fresno County area where most everyone's job is dependent on farming. Resident laborers who for years sweated in fields to fill the nation's food baskets find themselves waiting for food handouts.

"The water's cut off," complains Robert Silva, 68, mayor of the farm community of Mendota. "Mendota is known as the cantaloupe capital of the world. Now we're the food-line capital."

Three years of dry conditions is being felt across much of the nation's most populous state.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a water emergency in February and asked for 20% voluntary cuts in water use. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Drought Monitor lists 44% of the state as in a "severe" drought.

In arid Southern California, cities and water districts have raised rates to encourage conservation and imposed limits on use.

In Los Angeles, restaurants are banned from serving tap water unless diners ask for it. Residents can't hose down driveways or sidewalks. Lawn watering is permitted only on Mondays and Thursdays.

This drought is in line with conditions two decades ago, says Elissa Lynn, senior meteorologist for the California Department of Water Resources. But the new federal rulings to protect smelt and salmon have limited water pumping from the Sacramento and San Joaquin River Delta, a vital link between water and its users.

Here in the state's biggest farming region, fingers are pointing at the government, not nature.

"As California standards go, this is not a drought," says Bill Diedrich, a Firebaugh farmer and director of a water district. "It is the pumping restrictions."

The federal restrictions arise from environmental suits brought under the Endangered Species Act that argue pulling water out of the delta harms fish. A federal judge in 2007 ordered new biological studies and restrictions on water pumped out of the delta for farmers.

A group of water authorities filed countersuits. While the issue remains unsettled, the rulings have idled the water pumps for 11 months a year, Westlands spokeswoman Sarah Woolf says. Environmental groups say water officials and farmers are overstating the problem.

"This is not a fish vs. farms problem," says Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute, an environmental research group in Oakland. "I believe they're using the drought as an excuse to try and overturn these environmental decisions."

Richard Howitt, professor of agriculture and resource economics at University of California-Davis, estimates that statewide about 30% of the water shortage is a result of the environmental restrictions and 70% is drought. But the impact of the regulations hits particularly hard here in the farm region, he says, because complicated water-rights laws leave Allen and his neighbors at the end of the line in water distribution.

Howitt says his studies suggest that the restrictions could put as much as 45% of irrigated acreage in the Fresno area out of production — jacking up prices for melons, broccoli, tomatoes and other produce. The area also is a big producer of almonds, pistachios, lettuce and wheat.

Potential solutions such as more dams or a canal to bypass the delta and bring water to users are pipe dreams for a state with a huge budget deficit.

Meantime, the roads along this farm area are filled with signs warning that less water means less food. "If you like foreign oil, you'll love foreign food," says a sticker on Allen's truck.

"I wish they'd just put humans first and turn those pumps on," Allen says.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twd59PrqCNg"]YouTube - Sean Hannity exposes the man-made drought in California[/ame]

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This has gone back and forth for years. The Left Coast only has so much water to go around, so the ones that suffer is either the fish or the farmers. Our wonderful VP Richard took the water from the fisherman and given to the farmers now Obama has done the opposite. When will the craziness ever end? When the leave The Left Coast!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    It's amusing to see liberals fighting over topics like:

Who should survive, humans or fish?
    What takes priority, humans or forests?
    Who's rights are more important, citizens or illegal aliens?

I'm predicting the winners to be: fish, forests and illegal aliens. :@ya:

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Hmmmmm..... sure, that makes sense....... let's devote the meager resources available to something so low on the food chain - something that is definately NOT a taxpayer, nor employer, nor anything important to the majority of the planet ( and yes, to all the dirty hippies out there, I recognize that animals have a right to exist.... with barbecue sauce!). And as such they should be caught in small batches, and preserved in captivity to ensure their future survival, while leaving the rest of the planet to cope with an already taxed ecosystem! Put the darned fish in a zoo, and get the farmers back to work on growing tasty things to go with my fish! :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm conflicted on this. One the one hand, I don't want to see the farmers ruined, but on the other, anything that hurts California and it's 55 electoral votes that did so much to get Obama to where he is can be seen as a good thing.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I'm conflicted on this. One the one hand, I don't want to see the farmers ruined, but on the other, anything that hurts California and it's 55 electoral votes that did so much to get Obama to where he is can be seen as a good thing.

When the fish have more rights than the farmers, it may be a sign that you should leave California.
    I can't imagine the weather is soooo great that it outweighs taxes, crime, yearly forest fires, water shortages, pollution, traffic, earth quakes, and Nancy Pelosi.:dunno:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    AH, but one of the Obama Czars believes animals should have the right to sue and be given taxpayer paid attorneys to represent them. I think some of the above comments have been defamatory to the little fish (god bless their little hearts)... I look forward to the day when they can sue over such hate speech.

srgothard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Cowan Heights, CA
    California as seen by CS Lewis

The new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland is coming out early next year. The way I figure it, CS Lewis was right when he penned this classic; right is left, up is down, black is white, right is wrong.... Reason and logic have left the building.

And California just proves this. A few small fish are so much more important than people that 40%+ of the nations agriculture is going to be shut down? Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more outrage on the part of not only the field workers who are now out of work but consumers who're going to have to pay markedly increased prices for foreign-produced food. And all this after Obama's insistance that his economic recovery plan is supposed to have created jobs!!

Where is the outrage, folks? Where is the Tea Party? Oh, I forgot, they can't get "brewed up" because their water's been shut off.....

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In diverting historical waterways for fun and profit it will be a constant fight between man and nature and ultimately nature will win. These people are farming historically arid land that was worthless until they came along and dammed and canaled the water to the locations they wanted. I'm not a tree-hugger by any means but nature worked for millions of years without our help! There are reasons bigger than any of us can understand "why" rivers, streams, grasslands etc are where they are. Remember 50-60 years ago when some smart person decided it would be so much better for mankind to drain the everglades? Well it seems like that wasn't such a good idea, underground fires, sinkholes, disappearing aquifers, range fires etc are all natures responses to mans "improved" everglades. How many billions of dollars will be spent restoring the 'glades to their natural waterways and allow nature to revive. And they are currently doing this, although more at a "visual progress" pace than an actual pace that will see this goal accomplished in the reasonable future.

How many millions of dollars are spent attempting to keep the Mississippi river in its unnatural course to satisfy mans endeavors. The old man has been trying to return to its' natural course for years but we keep standing in the way. All the while complaining about the increased damage from hurricanes, the loss of barrier islands etc. The delta is a mere pittance of its original boundaries.

Should a small fish stand in the way of making a buck? Probably not, but that small fish feeds a bigger fish, feeds a bigger fish, etc. I'm pretty confident that one of these days they'll find out that it was as big a mistake to water the Kalifornia desert as it was to drain the 'glades and then how many billions of dollars will be spent undoing the damage man has done? I guess on the upside, all of those Kalifornia farmers and pickers, both legal and illegal will have new jobs in the booming industry of habitat restoration.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Rambone:"Farms are turning to dust, workers laid off, people's livelihoods are being destroyed. This will lead to rising cost of produce and higher unemployment."

They are probably illegal immigrants picking lettuce, so now you're saying you care about their jobs?

"Thank you President Obama, for supporting minnows before Americans. "

Thank you Rambone , for suggesting that Californication be allowed to wipe out natural resources so we can grow bad tomatos in the desert. Have you been to Easter Island?

srgothard: "A few small fish are so much more important than people that 40%+ of the nations agriculture is going to be shut down?"

Sounds like an internet statistic, where an estimated 56% of statistics are made up by 76% of the population, and are believed by 84% of the readers, and are usually 100% incorrect.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The farmers have to admit that those lands are not 'naturally' suited for agriculture. They have always needed to transport water for irrigation. They just assumed that they would never be playing second fiddle to animal habitats.

This is only an indication that again the government puts people in their place. You don't think they really care about the fish either, do you?
    Money talks. And the farmers have not or probably can not pay campaign contributions to the thugs in office.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Rambone:"Farms are turning to dust, workers laid off, people's livelihoods are being destroyed. This will lead to rising cost of produce and higher unemployment."

They are probably illegal immigrants picking lettuce, so now you're saying you care about their jobs?

The fact that he doesn't want illegals taking up jobs does not mean he wants to see those jobs eliminated completely. Logic fail.

"Thank you President Obama, for supporting minnows before Americans. "

Thank you Rambone , for suggesting that Californication be allowed to wipe out natural resources so we can grow bad tomatos in the desert. Have you been to Easter Island?

If by "Natural Resources" you mean "Fish", and if by "Wipe out" you mean "slightly decrease a tiny fraction of their population" and if by "bad tomatos" you mean "a large amount of edible produce", then this statement just barely starts to reflect reality. Have you ever been to earth?

srgothard: "A few small fish are so much more important than people that 40%+ of the nations agriculture is going to be shut down?"

Sounds like an internet statistic, where an estimated 56% of statistics are made up by 76% of the population, and are believed by 84% of the readers, and are usually 100% incorrect.

The 40% statistic was only talking about the one county, so you're kind of right here. But even a broken and totally obnoxious clock is right twice a day.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Read Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner for an interesting history of water and the government in the American west.:)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland is coming out early next year. The way I figure it, CS Lewis was right when he penned this classic; right is left, up is down, black is white, right is wrong.... Reason and logic have left the building.

And California just proves this. A few small fish are so much more important than people that 40%+ of the nations agriculture is going to be shut down? Frankly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more outrage on the part of not only the field workers who are now out of work but consumers who're going to have to pay markedly increased prices for foreign-produced food. And all this after Obama's insistance that his economic recovery plan is supposed to have created jobs!!

Where is the outrage, folks? Where is the Tea Party? Oh, I forgot, they can't get "brewed up" because their water's been shut off.....
    Just a heads up, but C.S. Lewis wrote the Narnia books. Mathematician and Reverend "Lewis Carroll" wrote the adventures of Alice. Both are excellent reads. California does bear a resemblance to the lunacy of the mad hatters party, tho.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    But its not fish that are at stake here....remember, they're "Sea Kittens" now. Who wants a poor sea kitten to go without water?!?!

You know, I'd be perfectly ok with California turning itself into a barren, crime ridden cesspool if it had absolutely NO effect on the rest of the country...but unfortunately, it does. Californians have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted with the power of the vote, and since many of them have no respect for the Constitution anyway...maybe its time we simply don't let them elect their own representatives anymore, as they always make such **** poor choices.

I say we let Texas elect California's politicians from now on. Their citizens seem to pick some good ones.

Top Bottom