• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Another good point is getting into animal husbandry. If you can master growing crops and raising good livestock you may only need guns to silence intruders who plan to steal what you've worked hard to grow.

Am I alone or does that sound like a pretty darn good life? Good honest work for the sole purpose of survival. Let the idiots die out.

I'm just buying time until it happens.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv83xYbf7xE]YouTube - Time Is On My Side[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg]YouTube - A Country Boy Can Survive[/ame]

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Thanks to those who gave constructive feedback and opinions, everyones input it is appreciated.

With that being said, I should have made my questions and statements more defined.

I wasn't wondering weither or not that it would be looked down upon by the DNR if I hunted with a 30-30 in SHTF scenario as I don't know anyone that would honestly worry about something like this in the given scenarios we have all pondered.

But as you will hear from almost everyone practice is what makes you better (for the most part). If the Marlin could be used to hunt with now then that would just give me the opportunity to hunt with the gun and get in some trigger time.

Maybe some more research would dig deeper into the topic but from what I have read the .30-30 seems to have some respect. Maybe it's the same as the 9/.40/.45 debate. :dunno:

Either way, I like the looks of the gun and feel that it's pretty solid and that with it's weight it should handle it's own.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    The best way to find out about deer hunting laws and regulations is to get a Indiana Hunting Regulations booklet for 2009, you can pick them up at most walmarts near the sporting good's section usually. As far as seasons, the only 2 that you can use firearms in, is shotgun season (usually mid-november) and muzzleloading season (usually end of November/beginning of December). As far as I know, you can't use anything but a shotgun during shotgun season, but you may have to double check that. If you can't find one of the 2009 hunting regulations booklets, call any DNR office and they can answer any questions.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The best way to find out about deer hunting laws and regulations is to get a Indiana Hunting Regulations booklet for 2009, you can pick them up at most walmarts near the sporting good's section usually. As far as seasons, the only 2 that you can use firearms in, is shotgun season (usually mid-november) and muzzleloading season (usually end of November/beginning of December). As far as I know, you can't use anything but a shotgun during shotgun season, but you may have to double check that. If you can't find one of the 2009 hunting regulations booklets, call any DNR office and they can answer any questions.
    You can use rifles here in Indiana. Pistol caliber rifles that meet specific criteria (commonly 357, 41 magnum, 44 magnum, 45LC, 454 Casul, etc) as well as some stubby rifle cartridges (458 Socom, 45 WinMag) and also some wildcat rifle cartridges (35 Gremlin, 358 WSSM, etc). Some of these cartridges are specifically mentioned in the Indiana regulations, but more importantly they list minimum/maximum cartridge & caliber guidelines, any cartridge that falls within their min-max would be legal.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    No it doesn't.

and why not? if your hunting in an area that isnt wide open{under 200yrds} and are not trying to preserve the hide then a 30-30 is just fine for yotes..dead is dead regardless of what rifle you choose and a 30-30 is just fine for killin. not my #1 choice as I prefer the 22-250 and the 204 ruger.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    and why not? if your hunting in an area that isnt wide open{under 200yrds} and are not trying to preserve the hide then a 30-30 is just fine for yotes..dead is dead regardless of what rifle you choose and a 30-30 is just fine for killin. not my #1 choice as I prefer the 22-250 and the 204 ruger.

"If if if, if wishes where horses everone would ride."

Because a lever action cowboy gun in 30-30 makes a better than nothing coyote gun, not a "great coyote gun".

Jerry C

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I may be mistaken, but I think the 30-30 is legal for deer in Ind. if you use a handgun such as a Thompson contender. I have taken deer with a 35 rem. contender so i would think the 30-30 is also legal.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    "If if if, if wishes where horses everone would ride."

Because a lever action cowboy gun in 30-30 makes a better than nothing coyote gun, not a "great coyote gun".

and again..dead is dead and when you look at it like that the 30-30 does make a great coyote round..so does a 50 bmg..RPG..etc etc. tho not very practical they all would make a great coyote killer.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    and again..dead is dead and when you look at it like that the 30-30 does make a great coyote round..so does a 50 bmg..RPG..etc etc. tho not very practical they all would make a great coyote killer.

Yeah, ok, what ever.

Absolutely right. If you've got your coyotes trained so every one you see stays close enough for a 100 year old under powered cartridge in the least accurate designed rifle ever made it'll be just dandy.

If you've already got one a 50 bmg, RPG, or a 30-30 makes a better than nothing coyote gun, not a "great coyote gun".

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Yeah, ok, what ever.

Absolutely right. If you've got your coyotes trained so every one you see stays close enough for a 100 year old under powered cartridge in the least accurate designed rifle ever made it'll be just dandy.

If you've already got one a 50 bmg, RPG, or a 30-30 makes a better than nothing coyote gun, not a "great coyote gun".

I'm glad your so smart...we need more people like you in this world to keep dumb asses like me in check. please forgive me for showing my ignorance.:bow:

Hail Jack Ryan! the furor of firearms!

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I'm glad your so smart...we need more people like you in this world to keep dumb asses like me in check. please forgive me for showing my ignorance.:bow:

Good to know you got in line with the rest of us finally. Kinda hard to associate with someone who hates life and everyone in it isn't it? If I were truly that un-social I sure in the hell wouldn't join a community of friendly gun owners, unless it were to bring amusement to my life for running everyone and everything they have into the ground. I see no point in the actions some people take.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Why get so worked up over this? You yourself said it wasn't your own prefered round listing off 22-250 and 204 I think. Then you turn around and tell some one else a 30-30 is a "great coyote" gun?

You educate me then, compare the 30-30 in any gun you want to a 22-250 and tell me what exactly is "great" about buying a 30-30 for a coyote gun? If that's what you want or any one else wants go for it. If the guy asking wants to go spend his money on a 30-30 to go coyote hunting then it's his money. Only reason I care enough to post is to keep some one from throwing their money away on about the worst choice there is to hunt coyotes.

No one who hunts coyotes regularly or kills a lot of coyotes hunts them with a 30-30 unless it's the only gun he owns.

Those are the plain facts. Sorry if it upsets ya but there's not much I can do about it.

Heres a forum full of coyote hunters.

INDIANA PREDATOR CENTRAL, online home of hoosier fox & coyote hunters - Message Board - Yuku

Go tell 'em how a 30-30 lever action cowboy gun makes a "great coyote" gun worthy of being recomended to newbies as a "great coyote gun". They may tell ya I'm full of schtt but I bet they don't recomend you go out and buy a 30-30 to hunt coyotes with.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Why get so worked up over this? You yourself said it wasn't your own prefered round listing off 22-250 and 204 I think. Then you turn around and tell some one else a 30-30 is a "great coyote" gun?

You educate me then, compare the 30-30 in any gun you want to a 22-250 and tell me what exactly is "great" about buying a 30-30 for a coyote gun? If that's what you want or any one else wants go for it. If the guy asking wants to go spend his money on a 30-30 to go coyote hunting then it's his money. Only reason I care enough to post is to keep some one from throwing their money away on about the worst choice there is to hunt coyotes.

No one who hunts coyotes regularly or kills a lot of coyotes hunts them with a 30-30 unless it's the only gun he owns.

Those are the plain facts. Sorry if it upsets ya but there's not much I can do about it.

Heres a forum full of coyote hunters.

INDIANA PREDATOR CENTRAL, online home of hoosier fox & coyote hunters - Message Board - Yuku

Go tell 'em how a 30-30 lever action cowboy gun makes a "great coyote" gun worthy of being recomended to newbies as a "great coyote gun". They may tell ya I'm full of schtt but I bet they don't recomend you go out and buy a 30-30 to hunt coyotes with.

Im not getting upset at all. and he wasnt asking for the best coyote gun either..he was simply looking for an excuse to buy a 30-30 so I threw in my 2 pennies,which was use it for coyotes as thats about the only thing int his state you can use it for and its more than enough gun to take down a yote..yes not the most accurate gun in the world but more than capable of killin yotes.
    if he was to ask "whats the best yote round" or "can someone recommend a GREAT yote round for a newb?" my answer would of been more like...
    "go get yourself a decent bolt gun or a single shot in 223..which a 223 is a great round,can be very accurate and more than enough power to take down a yote at most any range and cheap to shoot. I prefer my savage in 22-250 just because Im confident with it but have been known to use anything from a 12ga loaded with buck shot,22wmr,204 ruger all the way up to a 308.
    I see what your saying and thats all fine and dandy but my point is a 30-30 lever gun is just fine for killin yotes or shootin paper. we all buy guns that wont see much use.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    "he wasnt asking for the best coyote gun either..he was simply looking for an excuse to buy a 30-30"

Hammer meet nail, cause you hit the nail on the head.

I already took this gun in on trade. I feel that it is a 9mm/.40/.45 type debate with this thing. IMHO I'm not worried about it being the best caliber for any one particular thing. Just wanted it in hopes of it being a nice SHTF gun. I don't disagree that there are better rounds out there but I can't see this being the worst round and the worst gun out there...:dunno:

We'll see what I say after a range trip or two.:popcorn:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Hammer meet nail, cause you hit the nail on the head.

I already took this gun in on trade. I feel that it is a 9mm/.40/.45 type debate with this thing. IMHO I'm not worried about it being the best caliber for any one particular thing. Just wanted it in hopes of it being a nice SHTF gun. I don't disagree that there are better rounds out there but I can't see this being the worst round and the worst gun out there...:dunno:

We'll see what I say after a range trip or two.:popcorn:

congrats on the new rifle! lever guns sure are pretty and fun to shoot! even if all you plan on doing with it is punching holes in paper youll still have fun with her.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I would reply but it looks like you guys have it covered.

Not at all, if you have some useful information then put it forward.

Now if you believe it to be "El Junk 'O' " then pass go and don't collect $200. :D

congrats on the new rifle! lever guns sure are pretty and fun to shoot! even if all you plan on doing with it is punching holes in paper youll still have fun with her.

Thanks, any tips? Ammo,mods (if any)...etc

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    OK, I give up.

I was wrong, totally lost in the thread with my own thoughts tangled around my own throat. I couldn't have been more confused by now about the intent of the thread or even much exactly what we are talking about by now.

I was wrong. You were right.

30-30 is an excellant choice. Nice gun, we should go shooting some time.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    30-30 is an excellant choice. Nice gun, we should go shooting some time.

Sounds good to me. Not sure if I want to bring a gun however as then it might be justified self defense if you shoot me. :):

As I'm sure you aren't serious about it being a great choice (previously posted thoughts) that is fine. I personally don't like M1's or SKS's, just ugly to me. Regardless if it can make a knat whistle dixie at 700yds. Everyone has there :twocents: and I would never dislike someone based solely on that. Thanks for your input over the topic. I'm sure that it could be used for something other than a paper weight and that was my main concern. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Sounds good to me. Not sure if I want to bring a gun however as then it might be justified self defense if you shoot me. :):

As I'm sure you aren't serious about it being a great choice (previously posted thoughts) that is fine. I personally don't like M1's or SKS's, just ugly to me. Regardless if it can make a knat whistle dixie at 700yds. Everyone has there :twocents: and I would never dislike someone based solely on that. Thanks for your input over the topic. I'm sure that it could be used for something other than a paper weight and that was my main concern. :D

Oh but I am serious. The best coyote gun in the world is the one in your hands when you see one. If it's what you already have it's perfect. I used a 30-30 Marlin to hunt ground hogs when that's all I had. Look in to those lever lution or something sounding like that, pointed bullets, to get the most out of it. That's where I really started getting some surprising looks after whacking one a little further than a 30-30 should. I was using 130 grain hollow point boat tails and just loading one in the chamber and one in the mag. Those new ones are suppose to be safe in a full mag. If that's what I had and coyotes is what I wanted to do with it, that's what I'd try first.

Pointed, light bullets, in a 30-30 and it will make you REALLY want a 30-06 bad. It'll make that gnat keep it's head down at a couple hundred.

My friend with his 22-250 was bragging up his ground hog gun and picking flys off the concrete gate post about 150 to 200 yards away. Bang bang bang bang, just shooting away and getting smart about my "100 year old obsolete cartridge" and I said I'd give it a try just for fun. Don't know that I was "hitting flys" but as the chunks of concrete fell off to the ground he was telling me to stop shooting the post by the third shot because I was tearing it down. Those were 150 grain flat tips.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom