• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Well first off I have never been hunting in my life. With that said I feel that I may benefit from learning a thing or two about it due to the way I feel that or economy/world is heading towards. I'm not interested at this point in dressing the deer or anything (or other game for that matter) but I would like to find out some info.

From the info I have gathered I have come to see that you can hunt with 10,12,16,20ga shotguns. And some handful of handguns. My question is that you "hear" of people talking about how they took this or that down with a 30-06 or .308 but I didn't see those calibers listed. I have been looking at a 30-30 here lately and plan on picking one up weither or not the one I'm looking at falls through or not. So would I be able to hunt with this and if so what could I hunt? Also what are the seasons you can hunt in?

Thanks in advance Rich

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Well first off I have never been hunting in my life. With that said I feel that I may benefit from learning a thing or two about it due to the way I feel that or economy/world is heading towards. I'm not interested at this point in dressing the deer or anything (or other game for that matter) but I would like to find out some info.

From the info I have gathered I have come to see that you can hunt with 10,12,16,20ga shotguns. And some handful of handguns. My question is that you "hear" of people talking about how they took this or that down with a 30-06 or .308 but I didn't see those calibers listed. I have been looking at a 30-30 here lately and plan on picking one up weither or not the one I'm looking at falls through or not. So would I be able to hunt with this and if so what could I hunt? Also what are the seasons you can hunt in?

Thanks in advance Rich

nope 30-30 is not a legal cal to hunt with in this state..unless these people you are hearing talk about taking deer with 30-06/308 are taking deer under a special permit{or certain pistols} they are breaking the law and should be reported.
    you can use some rifles with pistol rounds such as the 357 and 44. im not sure of the whole list but those are the 2 most common rounds used for deer in this state. 30-30 would be the perfect round here but its not legal:noway:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    also...Ive got a small list of legal rounds somewhere..Ill look for it when I get home, but I think the 500 S&W is on that list, I know its soemthing to do with the case{has to be a straight walled cartridge} and the bullet diam. has to be no larger than a certain diam.{I think its .460 or close to it}

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I had seen the list on the DNR site. But just was curious as to the rest of the list.
    Handguns
    .357 Mag.
    .41 Mag.
    .44 Mag.
    .44 Spe.
    .45 Colt
    .45 Long Colt
    .45 Win. Mag.
    .35 Rem.
    .357 Herrett

Rifles with pistol cartridges.
    .357 Mag
    .38-40 Win
    .41 Mag
    .41 Spec.
    .44 Mag.
    .44 Spec.
    .44-40 Win.
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    The rifle cartridge must:

(A) have a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an
    inch (.357) diameter or larger;

(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths
    (1.16) inches; and

(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred
    twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The rifle cartridge must:

(A) have a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an
    inch (.357) diameter or larger;

(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths
    (1.16) inches; and

(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred
    twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches

Please note that these are the regulations on rifle cartridges for DEER HUNTING.

As far as shotgun shells go; cannot use "buckshot" in Indiana; only slugs. A FEW states still allow "buckshot".

There MAY be other restrictions on what can be used for other game animals, but I'm not familiar.

As far as your 30-30... go ahead and get it. Can always hunt squirrels with it.

And just because someone says that they took thus-and-such deer with a .308 or a 30-06 doesn't necessarily mean that they were in Indiana at the time.

-J-

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I may benefit from learning a thing or two about it due to the way I feel that or economy/world is heading towards.

If it gets to the point where game is your best option for food or survival , who cares about legalities?!?

For you purposes, if you want to hunt with a set-up like your 30-30, look at a .458socom. You can get this as close to as HP rifle as anything else, if not better than most of the alternatives. You can easily build it as a bolt and on a stevens action. Being centerfire, and boxmag fed you won't know the difference.

PM me if you want some suggestions for builders.

Gooch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Don't know for sure but have heard talk that the 30-30 will pass this year when DNR votes on deer calibers again. Sure hope so. It is a great gun. Go ahead and get one. You won't be disappointed even if you don't get to deer hunt with it. Shoot coyotes.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So besides plinking the 30-30 is useless? :):

Pretty much unless you just like shooting hundred year old obsolete guns and cartridges. I shoot my 45 cal Hawken rifle when I get that urge, I can legally hunt deer with that.

Just hint here for those considering the topic, it's a lot easier to just read the rules and buy the gun that's on the list than to buy something useless and then cry about how bad you'd like to hunt deer with it in this season or that season.

Another hint, when it get's so bad it's kill a deer or your family starves are you really going to care what the game warden thinks? What are the chances your family just happens to be starving during the hunting season for what is standing front of you?

Another hint, there's a good reason hunter gatherer societies transitioned to farming as soon as they mastered the technology. Buy yourself 10 acres and a couple pigs, some chicken (from the Amish), get some kind of plow and a tractor. You need a gun to keep people from the city who think they are going to make a run for your place and hunt it like it was their own more than you need a gun to provide your family with deer meat. 100 square feet of lettuce surrounded by an impaling fence will get you a lot more deer meat than any gun.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Don't know for sure but have heard talk that the 30-30 will pass this year when DNR votes on deer calibers again. Sure hope so. It is a great gun. Go ahead and get one. You won't be disappointed even if you don't get to deer hunt with it. Shoot coyotes.

I don't.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    As far as your 30-30... go ahead and get it. Can always hunt squirrels with it.

And just because someone says that they took thus-and-such deer with a .308 or a 30-06 doesn't necessarily mean that they were in Indiana at the time.

-J-

It's an even worse choice for squirrels than it is for coyotes.

JakeJ277

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Jack is right. If you're really interested in hunting from a survival perspective then learn to grow crops. Aside from their use for bringing in deer, plants are supposed to be the main staple in a human diet with small portions of meat (as sad as it is to actually put that in words). Small portions means that if you were to have a chicken salad to correct portions you would have a bowl of salad to a few ounces of chicken. Not pounds like you get a restaurants.

JakeJ277

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Another good point is getting into animal husbandry. If you can master growing crops and raising good livestock you may only need guns to silence intruders who plan to steal what you've worked hard to grow.

Am I alone or does that sound like a pretty darn good life? Good honest work for the sole purpose of survival. Let the idiots die out.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    So besides plinking the 30-30 is useless? :):

It has actually been labled in several articles as the worst round ever for hunting med to large game! The ballistics suck and the price isn't work sqaut in comparison to other 30 cals.

I am very curious to how the .30cal Icon is fairing to the 30 family.

Top Bottom