• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    i will soon be buying a sub compact glock but i cant decide between the glock 10mm (i think its the 29) or a glock 27 .40 anyone have any input for me

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Big fan of the 26. Sub Compacts are a bit more difficult to control. No matter which direction you go, try to get a ported one.
    yea ive considered a 26 but i want something a little more than a 9mm i currently have a pf9 and an lcp and have owned an xd9 and a 40 cal taurus...so im no stranger to the subcompact world lol

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    10mm is snappier then the 40...and the 40 is snappy, so if your not going 9mm, I would go 40 s&w. That said the 10mm is BA. So if recoil isn't an issue go 10mm! :)

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I've carried a Glock M 27 every day for several years in all types of weather.
    The .40 has a sharper recoil than the 9 mm but I'm not recoil sensitive so I chose the larger caliber.
    The 27 is capable of excellent accuracy as well.
    As long as the shooter does his/her part. ;)

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    yea im a fan of the .40 as well i just want to be a little different and thats why i considered the 10mm.....recoil isnt an issue but then again ive never shot a 10 so i might be surprised. im not sure how hard one is to find in a 10mm either so that could also play a factor in the decision

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    The 27 will be easier to find that's for sure. I would go with the 27 unless you need a trail gun or something like that. Also, I believe that the subcompact 10mm will be more like the size of a glock 19 or 23. This is a win-win situation though, you will like either gun you choose!

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    The 27 will be easier to find that's for sure. I would go with the 27 unless you need a trail gun or something like that. Also, I believe that the subcompact 10mm will be more like the size of a glock 19 or 23. This is a win-win situation though, you will like either gun you choose!
    yea i was just looking at the specs and the 27 is a little smaller so i will probably be putting one on layaway after christmas......

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Another consideration is the availability and price of good ammunition for the 10mm. Plus, if the gun is for personal protection and-or concealed carry, the .40 S&W actually outperforms the 10mm in terminal ballistics according to tests by the FBI Ballistic Research Facility in Quantico, Dr. Gary Roberts, and other reputable, independent operations.

The 10mm has greater pressure, muzzle blast, muzzle flash, and felt recoil compared to the .40. Those, coupled with the superior terminal performance of the .40 explain why the FBI, DEA, and about 2/3 of law enforcement agencies choose the .40; while exceeding few choose the 10mm (personally, I know of none).

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    10mm seems to cost about $5.00-$ 10.00 more for 50 rounds than .40 cal, this might be a factor for you in your choice.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Availability and price of ammo is a BIG consideration. I personally have decided on the .40 as my caliber of choice, both handguns and carbines (with a .357 bug). A 10mm would be fun, but as a carry gun I feel it to be impractical for my need as I don't run into a lot of armor plated rhinoceroses in Indy;) I am very interested to see what others have to say about the 10 though.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I shot a 27 one time and HATED it, too snappy for me. If your mind is still open, consider the GAP lineup. It's .45 caliber and fits the hand perfect. They're accurate, easy to shoot, and "push" instead of "snap".

Merry CHRISTmas and safe shooting to all!

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    . A 10mm would be fun, but as a carry gun I feel it to be impractical for my need as I don't run into a lot of armor plated rhinoceroses in Indy

Really??Their all over the place here in Bloomington!

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Ahhh, the great mystery of the 10mm. I find it amazing that, according to some experts, the same projectile going faster does "less" in their tests. Oh well, to each their own.
    Easy answer is to get the 40 - easier access to ammo, and can be a member of the S&W group (aka Short and Weak).
    One of the posts above mentioned the trail gun aspect. Nothing out there matches a 10mm's versatility of use. You can get some DoubleTap stuff and make that thing a fire breating dragon and have something that really will back you up (hogs, dogs, coyote's, 2-legged critters, etc.).
    I think it all boils down to the same thing - pick what you LIKE to shoot, and shoot the gun a bunch. Realistically, anything that needs shooting isn't going to be in a good position if you shoot it in the right spot with a quality bullet (i.e., DPX) from a .40, .45, 9mm, etc. Practice and experince with your gun trumps everything else.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are great so you can't really go wrong. The G27 will be cheaper to feed which means you can practice more :rockwoot: and the G27 is a little smaller. My EDC is the G27 and I love it!

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    i consider the 29 more compact not sub compact,its the same size as the G30 only with a smaller barrel, ammo is almost double the price of.40 cal and harder to find,,,that said i love mine its my edc and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it...just my 2 pennies worth.

SheriffMedic95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I qualified with a perfect score the first time I shot my G26...never could with the 27. If you are looking for accuracy, go with a 26. If you are looking to make a bigger hole go with the 29. But whats it matter if you can't hit the target : )

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The 29 is my favorite, but it's not in the same size class as the 27 by far.

I've owned the 29 since they came out and once you've practiced a bunch with full house 10mm rounds in it, every other Glock is a breeze to shoot. It's one of my EDC weapons.

As far as the ammo cost stuff, we hashed it out in this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/119511-first_10mm-3.html

As far as the poster claiming the 10mm being less effective, all I saw in that post was a bunch of unsupported assertions, I'd like for him to back it up since it directly contradicts everything I know about the round.

Top Bottom