Caliber Choice for a "Meat Buffalo" Which of these three????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I want to repeat something I mentioned before, but after having some PM inquiries... I am not connected in any way other than being a satisfied customer, with the High Adventure Ranch. That said I will say that 1. repeat customers get a discount on their second and additional hunting trips at the Ranch. and 2. If one of you guys mentions my name as a referring person when you book a hunt with them, I will get a $25 'referral discount' on my next trip. That is not a giant moneymaker, but it does acknowledge that they recognize the value of 'word of mouth' advertising.

So if you do decide to go, please mention my name when you book your trip. The upcoming Bison Hunt will be our 4th visit to the Ranch. Considering the very cold weather today, we are watching the weather for that part of Missouri closely. The long range forcasts for our weekend over there shows 51 degrees and sunny for both days ... That would be super, if it holds up.

Thanks again to all for the encouraging support. The .338 Win Mag tested out just fine....it is looking better as the primary choice... Here are my take alongs... The Ruger .338 Win Mag, The Ruger .308, and my backup Ruger SBH 44 mag.

Attachments

• 338 winmag 3.JPG
      338 winmag 3.JPG
      139.5 KB · Views: 3
    • 338 winmag 4.JPG
      338 winmag 4.JPG
      184.8 KB · Views: 4
    • IMG_3826.JPG
      IMG_3826.JPG
      284.9 KB · Views: 5
    • Handguns EL JEFE Ruger.JPG
      Handguns EL JEFE Ruger.JPG
      531.5 KB · Views: 3

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well I am late to the party again. I had the opportunity to shoot two Buffalo for the meat about 10 years ago. I borrowed a Remington 7MM Mag for it with 170 grain jsp remington factory loads. The first shot was from dead on at about 8 feet. I aimed for the X between the eyes and ears. I pulled the trigger and the buffalo went down. I thought that it wasn't so bad. Then it got back up. So I shot it again in the same spot. It went down again and got up a little slower. Another guy there was able to get a better shot from behind the ear and it went down. On the next one I waited until it turned it's head and I was able to get a shot from behind the head. From my own experience do not shoot them in the forehead. You'll just make them mad. These buffalo were about 1.5 years old. We butchered 5 of them that day. After all of this I bought a 45-70. If I ever do this again I think that I will borrow a 375 H&H Mag to save the trouble of not getting the perfect shot.

Good Luck on the shooting.

.375H&H will certainly do, as it's arguably the single most proven tough-game caliber on the planet.

I think .338-class guns would also work well, the trick is HEAVY bullets. IMO, you want a MINIMUM of the 250gr slug, preferably a 300gr loading if possible. A 250gr Partition is likely to be a good choice. The best is probably a 300gr Berger Elite Hunter, though.

Heavy, high-sectional density appears to be the consensus for the big, tough critters.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Since it 'warmed up' a bit today, we were able to get out and do some zeroing and qualifying with the .338 win mag. It really isn't so bad in the recoil area. I used 12 rounds at 100 yards and managed to hit what I was aiming at 10 out of those 12 shots. The Ruger action is pretty smooth considering that it is brand new. if memory serves, I have put about 40 rounds thru it ...all target shooting, since I got it last Spring.

I am keeping my focus on the prime target, now just 10 days away...
    12794.jpg

FYI- The Bison at the top-center of the photo,facing to the left, is 160 yards from the point where I was standing.
    We will be looking for one of the closer critters to give us a good shot at about 100 yards.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Do real Bison hunts exist or are they all basically target practice? Not judging anyone, I'm just curious. As someone that is interested in having buffalo meat --I'm wondering if the "hunt" is worth the cost over just buying one locally after it's been butchered....

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do real Bison hunts exist or are they all basically target practice? Not judging anyone, I'm just curious. As someone that is interested in having buffalo meat --I'm wondering if the "hunt" is worth the cost over just buying one locally after it's been butchered....
    You mean like wild roaming bison that you'd be allowed to go after? Can't think of anyplace that would let you do that. Even the Yellowstone Bison that wander off are afforded protection from hunting, (although some permits have been issued to a few ranchers). Bison are, by and large farmed/ranched. Places like mayor al is going to are the norm if you want to get bison meat. Buying a whole one from a company or processor would be costly. Shoot, a 1# package of ground bison goes for $10 in most places, it just goes up from there for other cuts. Mayor al will be getting the whole shooting match. He gets to choose his animal, dispatch it himself, gets the skin, the meat and all the rest for a good price. Hard to beat, really.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I did read an article about hunting bison on an Indian reservation on the WY-MT border. They were pretty pricey and the guides were Indians that lived on the reservation. No fences, wild roaming buffalo.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You mean like wild roaming bison that you'd be allowed to go after? Can't think of anyplace that would let you do that. Even the Yellowstone Bison that wander off are afforded protection from hunting, (although some permits have been issued to a few ranchers). Bison are, by and large farmed/ranched. Places like mayor al is going to are the norm if you want to get bison meat. Buying a whole one from a company or processor would be costly. Shoot, a 1# package of ground bison goes for $10 in most places, it just goes up from there for other cuts. Mayor al will be getting the whole shooting match. He gets to choose his animal, dispatch it himself, gets the skin, the meat and all the rest for a good price. Hard to beat, really.

Hmmm. I figured as much. Thats crazy $$. Maybe I should raise Bison...

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Viper Jock- it is sort of an apples & Oranges comparison..but you make a good point. My neighbor just spent $100+ to get a sample of steaks and roast meat from a farmer in Sellersburg who raises and butchers Bison. Cost worked out to about $12-$15 per lb., Even if it were $10per lb, bringing home over 500 lbs of various cuts and ground meat would have a cost of over $5000.
    I get a weekend of an activity that I enjoy (3 days/2 nights) all lodging and meals, one day of guide service, full butchering and freezing of the animal to my specs--and we have a pretty detailed plan for that-- The head and hide, and we want the major bones for the Marrow. For this I am paying $3700 total (Plus $100 in tips to the guide and kitchen lady) Count my gas costs and the whole thing will run about $4000.
    The meat thing is a big deal for us. Things like Ox-Tail Stew, Smoked Tongue and some other less popular cuts will make this a special treat

I cannot afford to do a hunt like an Western Elk hunt...My mobility is limited, and the thought of paying out this much money ...or more and coming home after 4-5 days of 'camping out with nothing to show for it, is un acceptable for me at this point in my 71 year old life. So we opt for this compromise in the 'hunt' spectrum. It may not be the best sport...but it beats driving to a grocery store...

A week Friday, We will leave at midnight, arrive at the ranch early iSaturday morning then have Saturday Sunday and Monday (morning to get the job done and hae time to relax and enjoy watching the animals and the action as out meat is processed.

Attachments

• Hog Hunt 2013 Small 148aa.jpg
      Hog Hunt 2013 Small 148aa.jpg
      165.4 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I think there is a drawing hunt for truly wild (and genetically pure) bison in the Henry Mtns. of Utah. Of course, the odds of getting drawn are probably astronomical.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    That's my prime reason for finding the most 'natural' situation I could without the long-drawn out 'drawing', and total lack of assured success for a very large expense for the Utah type of hunt.

Without the meat coming home, I can't justify the weekend hunt, even at the rates the ranch quotes. So "Bringing Home the Beef" is the point that makes the whole thing worthwhile.
    AL

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I dont hunt buffalo but we have them at work and we kill several every year for meat. Basically they are glorified cows, that make great jerky. But butcher shows up with a trailer and then when they feed them my boss takes his rifle 7.62x39 at the feed and kills the ones he want and the guy butchers them at that time. Tasty tasty meat!

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    OK Guys, I am a fairly experienced hog and deer hunter and certainly not full of youthful 'flakiness' ! (no digs at any age group intended). I get excited as the normal deer season approaches each Fall, as most hunters do.... But right now I feel like I am getting ready for that big Prom Date, or to sign over my winning Powerball ticket. You can call it Senior-Citizen Buck Fever if you want to, but I am losing sleep each night as I make lists and Hyper-plan the coming Bison Hunting Trip.

I swear The truck has been loaded and rearranged several times (in my minds eye), and I have the rifles bagged and ready---but they get a daily inspection anyway-- The emergency crap is boxed and ready to load (flashlights, chargers for phone and cameras and C-paps breather). No laptop this trip I will bring my photos home and do the editing here. One 150 qt and three 120 qt coolers are stacked ready to load. Two smaller 50 qt coolers will be in the crewcab. Made a Costco run yesterday for some jerky and trail mix and trash bags for the head and hide..

I will have a walker for use when I have to move around outdoors, and my cane for the indoor times, The Meds and stuff like that will be organized by my wife ( a nurse) with reminder notes attached to everything. I do a daily check of the forecast for the area we are headed for near ROLLA, MO and so far it looks to be partly sunny and in the upper 40's next weekend.

I don't recall being this keyed up over a weekend trip, even a hunting trip, before.

Am I that far "Round the Bend", or would you be getting "Antsy" a week before you did this sort of adventure. (Leaving next Friday night.)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    My experience is that, like everything else, bison is cheaper in bulk...I used to buy it by the half from a farmer near Hagerstown (who has since retired).

I know there are others; the only other farm I've been to in central Indiana is English's, near Bainbridge. They no longer sell bison by the side, and their prices look about the same as high end beef.

Home

Bison is awesome...as they are so lean, the steaks are best done medium-rare or even less cooked, else they may be tough.

Edit: While looking for other bison ranchers in Indiana, I found these folks, who also offer deer and bison hunts: http://www.cooksbisonranch.com/guided-hunts.html

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Any recommendations for a Hide Tanning Business in Southern Indiana or the Louisville area of KY ?? We will boil the head to make a trail-marker style Skull Trophy ourselves.... but the wife wants a Couch-throw/ Blanket-robe-coverall soft tanned Buffalo Hide... not a stiff rug, it will have to be something comfortable for her.

I have heard of a guy in Irvington, KY who does this sort of treatment...but need to find some alternate choices. Hope you guys can give me some suggestions.
    Thanks , AL

OK, A LITTLE COMPUTER SEARCH AND I GOT MY ANSWERS ABOUT PROCESSING THE HIDE. !!!

Another afterthought taken care of.

Last edited:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    We leave tomorrow ! Weather shows lite snow for the ride over...then sunny and 42 on Saturday and sunny and 52 on Sunday. We come home Monday afternoon. The truck is loaded. Got both rifles ready (the .338 win mag and the .308 GSR) plus my Ruger 44 mag SBH. Plenty of snack crap and cokes/beer for the playoff games Sunday afternoon...gotta hope tha Payton holds up the Broncos and beat the Patriots.

We will bring home the Hide, for a local (Elizabeth, IN) taxidermist to convert to a blanket/robe for us ($300+ depending on size) and the head which we will boil to make a skull "Trail Marker" type of wall mount (kit form). We shuffled the big freezer contents around to be sure we have room for the meat...... now to get out there and nail that critter !

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    My experience is that, like everything else, bison is cheaper in bulk...I used to buy it by the half from a farmer near Hagerstown (who has since retired).

I know there are others; the only other farm I've been to in central Indiana is English's, near Bainbridge. They no longer sell bison by the side, and their prices look about the same as high end beef.

Home

Bison is awesome...as they are so lean, the steaks are best done medium-rare or even less cooked, else they may be tough.

Edit: While looking for other bison ranchers in Indiana, I found these folks, who also offer deer and bison hunts: Guided hunts for whitetail deer, wild turkey, buffalo, bison in Northern Indiana

Midwest Woodlots also has Bison. Have a great time on your trip! I'm assuming there will be an AAR?!

Top Bottom