Caliber Choice for a "Meat Buffalo" Which of these three????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From an internet search, I found that the most common .45-70 loads used 330, 350, 400, 405, and 500 grain bullets. The heaviest bullets were the best choice for hunting buffalo. I hope your little 30 caliber will get the job done for you. (I'm teasing)

I have used my Marlin Lever Gun in 45-70 Government with a Lyman Peep Sight. It's as authentic as you can get in a modern lever action. It gets the job done, but she does kick a bit and I'm in my mid-sixties.

Good luck to you and happy hunting.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    BOY, Talk about "Buck Fever" or the Anticipation Jitters... Our hunt is two weeks off, not next week. While I am leaning towards the 308, I have a bunch of 250 gr .338 win mag ammo that has quite a bit more energy than the 180 gr 308 does. So Both guns will go with us, and the decision made based on conditions "On-Site".

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    BOY, Talk about "Buck Fever" or the Anticipation Jitters... Our hunt is two weeks off, not next week. While I am leaning towards the 308, I have a bunch of 250 gr .338 win mag ammo that has quite a bit more energy than the 180 gr 308 does. So Both guns will go with us, and the decision made based on conditions "On-Site".

mayor al,
    Do you mind letting us know, or I can PM you if you prefer, how this hunt goes and what you think of the ranch. I am seriously considering such a trip as well and would love to get a Bison for the meat. I'm not much of a trophy hunter, myself.

Thank you!

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    mayor al,
    Do you mind letting us know, or I can PM you if you prefer, how this hunt goes and what you think of the ranch. I am seriously considering such a trip as well and would love to get a Bison for the meat. I'm not much of a trophy hunter, myself.

Thank you!

Dan,

We have done Hog Hunts at this ranch three times in the last two years.
    I really like the place for several reasons--
    1. Closer, and easier drive to Central Missouri than to the Texas Hog Hunting locations we used in prior years. Saves a lot of time, gas and motel money. The ranch is 6 hours from us here near Louisville.
    2. No Game , No Pay, is their policy. We have never been skunked, so I have not tested that rule, but if you don't get the critter, you only pay for room and board, nothing else.
    3. Comprehensive fees...One prices covers everything, except your voluntary tips to the guide and the Kitchen Lady. Meat butchering and freezer wrapping is included...and they will follow any special plan you have for what gets cut, and what gets ground-up etc. We will bring home the head and hide to do our own boil-skull trophy, and my neighbor wants to tan the hide...but they will arrange taxidermy if you want it...optional. Many other places have nickel and dime fees for everything and trophy animal fees etc. This place has it all in one...helps keep the budget straight.
    4 It is not the Ritz-Carleton, but it is clean, the cabins and lodge are quite comfortable bedding etc is provided, and the food is 'home-made' but outstading. The dining room can seat 30 or so, but there have never been more than 6 folks in the whole place on any of our visits, so you are not crowded and get plenty of personal attention.
    5. On our visits during Summer and Fall there is plenty of space for you get get out and feel like you are in the 'woods', the fences around the five sq mile property are well disguised, so you don't get that shooting in a barnyard feeling. This time it will be mid-winter and we will see what the place is like as far as ease of travel etc in the cold weather.
    6. I posted photos of our hog hunt in a thread here last fall , try a search for them, and if I can find them I will add a link here to show you more about the place.

The total cost for two people (one shooter, I tag-a-long friend non-shooter) for a large meat hog and a 3-4 yr old Bull Bison is about $3500..with 3 days and two nights of room and board, the guide, the processing of the meat all licenses etc. I will add $100 in tips for our guide and the cook. That's not to bad for three days of real relaxation, the hunt, great food, free fishing if you want too, and some great photo opp's when not hunting.

OK More when I find the link to the hog hunt post.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

Just curious as to what bullet are you using in the 308? Also, did the ranch give much feedback about the different rifle options or loads?

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    If we use the 308 it will be with Remington Core-loc 180 grain PSP ammo. If we jump to the .338 win mag, It will be Remington 225 gr. or 250 gr. SP ammo.. I have a couple of boxes of each.

The only info the ranch shared with us is to make a .270 or larger caliber choice. They do not permit Bison Hunting with anything smaller than 270. A lot of the hog hunters use 223 and those are allowed for hog, and regular deer, but the Elk and Bison require larger caliber. If you come unarmed, they will rent you a 30-06 for about $50 a day. (Some folks fly in and don't want the hassle of flying with firearms...)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I wasn't aware the core-lokt would penetrate enough to get to the lungs reliably. Good to know.

Hope you have a great trip. It certainly sounds like it will be a blast.

Last edited:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Thanks for the encouraging words...

We worked today on zeroing the scopes on the 308 and the 338.. Complete takedown, cleaning and lubing. 4 mags of 308 loaded with the 180 gr. That one is ready to bag and go... The 338will require another round of zeroing then clean and lube. It is brand new, and has about 10 rounds thru it, and getting at least ten more this week as we check it out. My Ruger SBH 44 mag is always ready to go, but we lhave it in the Bandalero with ammo in the pouches, so it is ready.. One 150 qt and three 120 qt coolers are in the truck already. got a couple of smaller ones "just in case". Now to watch the Rolla, MO weather 10 day forcasts to see how cold and cruddy it will be. We want to "Dress for Success" (plus my walker has issues with slippery ground.)

Been reading everything I can from all sources about the hunt and the processing of Bison. We bought a sample pack of the Bison meat... 6 steaks of various kinds, one whole tenderloin (4.5 lbs) and a Sirloin Roast.. $150!!! But it gave us a real good idea of what "Non-Burger" Bison tastes like.
    Now just get us in the truck and get on the road....can't wait. Two Weeks from today we should bewatching the boys butcher our Buffalo.

Here are a couple of shots of the tenderloin steaks...fork tender and full of beefy flavor
    12871.jpg

12874.jpg

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    After seeing those steaks, I am pretty certain it's time to start saving for a hunt myself.

Enjoy those fine looking steaks & have fun on the hunt.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    A bison hunt would be awesome! I will be looking into one... Maybe later this year. The meat is delicious. My step fate her has a brother in Wyoming. He sends a birthday package from Jackson Hole Meat Packing every year with steaks, brats, hotdogs, burgers, and ground bison. My step dad doesn't care for it so I get a call as soon as FedEx delivers it! Happy Birthday to me!

i could use it as a excuse to get a new rifle.... Or just use my savage bolt action in 458 SOCOM....

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thanks for the encouraging words...

We worked today on zeroing the scopes on the 308 and the 338.. Complete takedown, cleaning and lubing. 4 mags of 308 loaded with the 180 gr. That one is ready to bag and go... The 338will require another round of zeroing then clean and lube. It is brand new, and has about 10 rounds thru it, and getting at least ten more this week as we check it out. My Ruger SBH 44 mag is always ready to go, but we lhave it in the Bandalero with ammo in the pouches, so it is ready.. One 150 qt and three 120 qt coolers are in the truck already. got a couple of smaller ones "just in case". Now to watch the Rolla, MO weather 10 day forcasts to see how cold and cruddy it will be. We want to "Dress for Success" (plus my walker has issues with slippery ground.)

Been reading everything I can from all sources about the hunt and the processing of Bison. We bought a sample pack of the Bison meat... 6 steaks of various kinds, one whole tenderloin (4.5 lbs) and a Sirloin Roast.. $150!!! But it gave us a real good idea of what "Non-Burger" Bison tastes like.
    Now just get us in the truck and get on the road....can't wait. Two Weeks from today we should bewatching the boys butcher our Buffalo.

Here are a couple of shots of the tenderloin steaks...fork tender and full of beefy flavor
    12871.jpg

12874.jpg

Al, you're killing me. I can smell the steaks through the internet.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Well I am late to the party again. I had the opportunity to shoot two Buffalo for the meat about 10 years ago. I borrowed a Remington 7MM Mag for it with 170 grain jsp remington factory loads. The first shot was from dead on at about 8 feet. I aimed for the X between the eyes and ears. I pulled the trigger and the buffalo went down. I thought that it wasn't so bad. Then it got back up. So I shot it again in the same spot. It went down again and got up a little slower. Another guy there was able to get a better shot from behind the ear and it went down. On the next one I waited until it turned it's head and I was able to get a shot from behind the head. From my own experience do not shoot them in the forehead. You'll just make them mad. These buffalo were about 1.5 years old. We butchered 5 of them that day. After all of this I bought a 45-70. If I ever do this again I think that I will borrow a 375 H&H Mag to save the trouble of not getting the perfect shot.

Good Luck on the shooting.

Top Bottom