• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I was at Cabela's in Kansas City, KS. asking about selling me a rifle. The sales guy informed me of their new policy but couldn't tell me why. Indiana is included in a list of around 11 states that they can sell no firearms to. Included in the list was the ones with a lot of gun restrictions you would expect to see but Florida, Indiana and Louisiana were also on the list. I have called their corporate office to try and get an answer but had to leave a message. I will post their reply when I get it.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Thank you for the link. I am still not sure if I am prohibited from buying out of state but it does give me some insight about what could be the reason. I will still post a reply from Cabela's if I get one.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was at Cabela's in Kansas City, KS. asking about selling me a rifle. The sales guy informed me of their new policy but couldn't tell me why. Indiana is included in a list of around 11 states that they can sell no firearms to. Included in the list was the ones with a lot of gun restrictions you would expect to see but Florida, Indiana and Louisiana were also on the list. I have called their corporate office to try and get an answer but had to leave a message. I will post their reply when I get it.

You COULD have purchased it, but then you would have had to pay them to ship it to your FFL here in Indiana

Tagged. I just bought another rifle from Cableas in Richfield, WI two weeks ago, no problem, no "policy".

Did you have to have it shipped?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    The sales guy I talked to said it was just a week ago that they received the memo about not selling ANY firearms to the 11 states listed. He did say that they could ship it to a Cabela's in Indiana and I could buy it from them. I am trying to find out from Cabela's exactly why the change from the last time I was in there. I have talked with their sales people in the past and asked about being able to buy long guns and they said they could sell to me.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Did you have to have it shipped?

Nope, walked out of the store, as usual, a pre-64 Winchester in 375H&H.

This is probably a case of a store manager not knowing the difference between "rules" and "law", and should be cleared up shortly. My money is on Cabelas doing the right thing.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I did not get a phone call from Cabela's today. I will give them a week in case the guy I left the message for is on vacation.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Cabelas in Owatanna MN, is still selling to IN residents (a Winchester Model 1895, 405 Win, made in 1925) Any call from KS yet?

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I did not get a phone call from Cabela's today. I will give them a week in case the guy I left the message for is on vacation.

If they dont want to sell you the gun then leave it at that.. Why do you want to give someone your money that does not want it? If you were selling a gun and you didnt want to sell to the person buying it, would you want them to keep calling you about it? Let it go. there are more guns in the world to buy.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm reasonably certain Indiana law says you can buy from adjoining states, but anything else needs to go through an FFL.

Indiana law limits rifle sales to residents of states bordering IN, but buying a rifle in a state nor bordering Indiana is OK. You follow the rules of the state you're buying in, IN law doesn't follow me to Minnesota.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Indiana law limits rifle sales to residents of states bordering IN, but buying a rifle in a state nor bordering Indiana is OK. You follow the rules of the state you're buying in, IN law doesn't follow me to Minnesota.

I'm curious about this.

The US will prosecute someone for going overseas and committing acts in another country that are illegal here. For example, some pedophile goes to Thailand and pays for child prostitutes. He comes back here, and will be prosecuted here if the feds find out about his trip. Another example... technically, I think we can also be prosecuted for going to foreign countries and buying Cuban cigars.

If the US can do that, why can't Indiana do that using similar logic?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm curious about this.

The US will prosecute someone for going overseas and committing acts in another country that are illegal here. For example, some pedophile goes to Thailand and pays for child prostitutes. He comes back here, and will be prosecuted here if the feds find out about his trip. Another example... technically, I think we can also be prosecuted for going to foreign countries and buying Cuban cigars.

If the US can do that, why can't Indiana do that using similar logic?
    They won't sell you a rifle unless you are from a neighboring state, it's still a legal firearm. If you head to Thailand and bring back a box of old grenades, different.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    They won't sell you a rifle unless you are from a neighboring state, it's still a legal firearm. If you head to Thailand and bring back a box of old grenades, different.

I see that, but I'm not talking about bringing anything BACK. You can be prosecuted here in the U.S. for going to Switzerland, buying a Cuban cigar, and smoking it THERE.

Top Bottom