• ...and so much more!
  • JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Talking about strange events. I visited a local gun store where you were required to sign a terms & conditions statement and then pay for the fireram. And when you're finished, they complete and run the background check. If you failed the check, they keep the firearm and charge you a re-stocking fee to get your money back. I've never seen that before. Make one wonder why!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Talking about strange events. I visited a local gun store where you were required to sign a terms & conditions statement and then pay for the fireram. And when you're finished, they complete and run the background check. If you failed the check, they keep the firearm and charge you a re-stocking fee to get your money back. I've never seen that before. Make one wonder why!
    Seems to me if I can recall correctly I remember noticing a sign something along the lines of this in an LGS stating there would be a fee for a failed background check. I just glanced at it in passing and thought it was odd. I purchased a firearm and the background check went through so it was'nt an issue and I did'nt give it a second thought.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I worked at the store for almost 2 and 1/2 years. I had to quit because of other jobs but they took the fun out of working there. The gun counter there is a joke. Even as an ex-employee i have to beg for someone to come and show me a gun. That is why i started shopping at Blythes again.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    My wife's best friend works the "form" counter and gun checkout counter at Cabelas. I won't give her name but she's good people. Knows her guns - has been working there nearly 2 years and can sit with me and BS about pistols till the cows come home. Bores the pants off the wife :D

They have a job to do and they do their best to please everyone but you can't please everyone all the time ;) So please be nice to them.

Or I get to hear about it...

Sonsofthunder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    The only significant problem I've had is special ordering a gun and having them mess up the discount on the balance. As far as the gun counter goes, I thought the new computer assisted registration application setup would speed things up, but did not. They need to work on streamlining that process. I picked up a gun from a warranty service and I was there longer than I would be to buy a new gun. Ended up talking to three or four people about my gun, while waiting for it, and every single person behind the counter handled it...but still took forever to finish the process.
    As far as getting help at the counter, I was just there a couple weeks ago and chatted quite a bit with a gun counter employee who shared similar interests in gun types, gave me some feedback on reloading. He was even nice enough to give me a heads up on a sale coming up, so I didn't buy something that day, that may be cheaper later. They are not really supposed to do that.
    I can see how they do get fed up after a day of dealing with different "types" of people. Just about every time I'm there, I'm standing next to some punk or thug who is only interested in a crappy chrome/nickel pistol, or any ak design with a hi capacity magazine. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not against most people owning automatic rifles, but for crying out loud, guns are for enthusiasts, collectors, hunters, and upstanding citizens, not some scum bag and his posse all sagging their pants below their a$$. If you don't like what I said, or think I'm "stereo-typing", you can kiss it, or take it up with a customer of mine who works with the ATF. Without unnecessary details, some of the big stores are constantly under more heat for being the source of guns that end up with the wrong people. They have the right to refuse service of any potential sale, and I know for a fact that they don't exercise that right nearly often enough.
    And if you think I'm just a grumpy old fart, you're dead wrong. I'm not nearly halfway to fartsville!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    If the gangbangers have gone legit and buying guns using 4473 forms, let em. Most thefts of firearms end up all over on corner/alley/crackhouse deals. Maybe Cabelas has some good people in sales, but after the sale is where the loyalty starts. #1. Customer is always right(gulp), or won't be a customer again.

Sonsofthunder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Going "legit" is often an issue of accessibility, and cost. It's also a means of business. Those pieces of trash are regularly buying weapons to sell back home for a big profit, mostly to people who can't just walk in and do the same - for obvious reasons. This isn't hypothesis, it's coming from someone who has to clean up after these poor judgment calls all the time.

If the gangbangers have gone legit and buying guns using 4473 forms, let em. Most thefts of firearms end up all over on corner/alley/crackhouse deals. Maybe Cabelas has some good people in sales, but after the sale is where the loyalty starts. #1. Customer is always right(gulp), or won't be a customer again.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    This is bittersweet - the good news is they are mobbed and selling a boatload of guns. The bad news is in my opinion - they could invent a better mousetrap and I have suggested that. I am guilty to the point I will browse but almost never buy a firearm from them. I get better pricing, service and expertise from Blythe's.......period (Except they did not have a belt I wanted).

I big problem is there lack of practical knowledge - I am looking for a gunbelt. I asked at the counter and they directed me to "Cowboy belts with holsters". I explained I wanted a high quality horsehide belt designed for Carry.....they looked at me like I had three heads.
    They sent me down stairs to the clothing dept. I reluctantly ask a women working there - she knew exactly what I was asking about...said they had nothibg like that but had had several requests.....I walked out scratching my head!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cabellas is my go to spot to buy ammo, I check out what ever guns I may be interested in purchasing there and if something catches my eye and its on a good sale, ill buy from them. Otherwise I take advantage of the internet... I wish I had a decent local shop to support, but as of now I do not...

1st congratulations on the smoking cessation! Hang tough!

2nd, I've found that I get treated like I treat people. I frequent the gun library at about 30% of the Cabela's stores in my trucking travels and have found them usually friendly and helpful. With the occasional knothead at Hamburg, PA. Bargain Cave has been good to me. I always hit it first. CAVEAT EMPTOR, but bargains can be had.
    I've noticed the ropes at Hammond but the sign apparently didn't impress me enough to read it. I've never had any trouble getting one of the guys to talk to me or show me a gun. They can be pretty proud of the merchandise, price wise. New guns at MSRP with no wiggle room and occasionally I've actually paid it for something I wanted NOW. Sales they have are sometimes a real opportunity for a deal. Especially if you have one of their discount post cards.
    The stores are amazing displays of wildlife mounts. The Whitetail mounts at Owotonna,MN are worth the trip by themselves. Never noticed any that looked fake. I know there are a couple castings of famous racks but they're labeled as such. If you want to look at a variety of outdoor toys they provide a good looking, clean venue to do just that. That store wasn't cheap. It's a business folks. They are there to make money.:yesway:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This is bittersweet - the good news is they are mobbed and selling a boatload of guns. The bad news is in my opinion - they could invent a better mousetrap and I have suggested that. I am guilty to the point I will browse but almost never buy a firearm from them. I get better pricing, service and expertise from Blythe's.......period (Except they did not have a belt I wanted).

I big problem is there lack of practical knowledge - I am looking for a gunbelt. I asked at the counter and they directed me to "Cowboy belts with holsters". I explained I wanted a high quality horsehide belt designed for Carry.....they looked at me like I had three heads.
    They sent me down stairs to the clothing dept. I reluctantly ask a women working there - she knew exactly what I was asking about...said they had nothibg like that but had had several requests.....I walked out scratching my head!
    A local leather shop has been my source for good leather carry belts. Moonshine Leather in Nashville, IN. Don't know if they have an internet presence or not.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

I have seen that Galco has a lot of good leather belts, and you can always try them online too, or call as well. I have had a couple good experiences with them. Although, sometimes they are backed up on various things, but im sure thats cause they are great quality, as I have never had any problems with any of the holsters that I have gotten from them. Good luck on your belt quest.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I was at Cabelas yesterday afternoon and I am happy to report two things.

1. They have gotten rid of the rope/barrier that keeps you from directly approaching the gun counter.

2. Many people were there purchasing firearms. Most notably, I saw several women checking out guns with their husbands or boyfriends. Not only were the women I saw all very attractive, I was happy to see that women are starting to take their safety more serously.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was at Cabelas yesterday afternoon and I am happy to report two things.

1. They have gotten rid of the rope/barrier that keeps you from directly approaching the gun counter.

2. Many people were there purchasing firearms. Most notably, I saw several women checking out guns with their husbands or boyfriends. Not only were the women I saw all very attractive, I was happy to see that women are starting to take their safety more serously.

:postpics:

but please not if they looked like this:
    there-are-no-girls-on-the-internet.jpg

:laugh:

Top Bottom