Bystander helped foil armored car heist, but at what risk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What strikes me as the most hypocritical is the fact that you can search local news websites right now and find headlines like "Police need your help finding .... home invasion suspect ... burglar ... carjacker ... murder suspect ... etc."

You can't constantly ask for the public's help then scold them when they get involved. I'm glad Jeff didn't shoot the guy in the back, we all can agree that wouldn't have ended well for him, but I agree with the thoughts above, that if more citizens got involved and took action, criminals would have to think twice before committing violent crimes.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Could Jeff's statements of the "attempted shooting" still possibly get him into trouble? Granted it would be a dick move for the prosecutor to pursue charges but is it possible?
    I do have to say making statements without a lawyer ESPECIALLY TO THE MEDIA is another stupid move by Jeff.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What strikes me as the most hypocritical is the fact that you can search local news websites right now and find headlines like "Police need your help finding .... home invasion suspect ... burglar ... carjacker ... murder suspect ... etc."You can't constantly ask for the public's help then scold them when they get involved. I'm glad Jeff didn't shoot the guy in the back, we all can agree that wouldn't have ended well for him, but I agree with the thoughts above, that if more citizens got involved and took action, criminals would have to think twice before committing violent crimes.

I think we are all smart enough to distinguish between 'help us identify who this guy is' and what is under discussion in this thread. I encourage people to intervene in situations they are physically and mentally equipped to do so, but let's not pretend those headlines are about the same thing.

Could Jeff's statements of the "attempted shooting" still possibly get him into trouble? Granted it would be a dick move for the prosecutor to pursue charges but is it possible?
    I do have to say making statements without a lawyer ESPECIALLY TO THE MEDIA is another stupid move by Jeff.

Sure, depending on the details. "Attempted" is the same charge as the actual crime under IC code. I'd say its not very likely with the current prosecutor, but if they were considering it I would bet they'd send it to the Grand Jury to decide.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think we are all smart enough to distinguish between 'help us identify who this guy is' and what is under discussion in this thread. I encourage people to intervene in situations they are physically and mentally equipped to do so, but let's not pretend those headlines are about the same thing.

I'm not calling out the police with my statement above. This is more a criticism of the media.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    My comment about discerning who is good or bad was not meant as a way for a private handshake. What I meant was is their a certain way to hold the gun or stand or anything that will keep a new not as well trained/ experienced officer from rolling up and just shooting. For example in this situation just hypothetical once the man was down would you be better to stand over him asking him to stay down with gun in hand but not pointed directly at the man so when an officer pulls up you are not pointing the gun directly at him but if he tried to get up and threaten you then you could react by simply raising your arm. Again I know there is no good answer just trying to have a conversation that may keep one of us good guys from being shot. I understand the detainment until the facts are sorted out on scene.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was assuming the shooter tried to comply with regulations and just missed 3 .22 long rifle rounds in the pocket of his jacket in his carry-on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My comment about discerning who is good or bad was not meant as a way for a private handshake. What I meant was is their a certain way to hold the gun or stand or anything that will keep a new not as well trained/ experienced officer from rolling up and just shooting. For example in this situation just hypothetical once the man was down would you be better to stand over him asking him to stay down with gun in hand but not pointed directly at the man so when an officer pulls up you are not pointing the gun directly at him but if he tried to get up and threaten you then you could react by simply raising your arm. Again I know there is no good answer just trying to have a conversation that may keep one of us good guys from being shot. I understand the detainment until the facts are sorted out on scene.

The simple answers are as follows:

1) Try not to have a gun in your hand when police arrive. They aren't sneaking in. There will be a light show and a lot of noise. You may have auditory exclusion and tunnel vision. Fight it by forcing yourself to look around. This is one reason I will not use a holster that doesn't allow for one handed reholstering. I understand this may not always be an option, but if it is, utilize it.
    2) Comply with all orders immediately. Do not argue. Do not try to tell them you're a good guy. Even as an off duty officer, I fully expect to not be recognized even if its an officer I personally know. Do what they tell you to, it will get sorted out when no one has a gun drawn any longer.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Most aren't. I think that was the point.

Well then, it goes without saying that most shouldn't (and that includes police officers, as well). I'm a pretty fair shot, and disregarding the obvious issue of shooting a man in the back, I'm not dumb enough to start popping off rounds in a crowded area where there's no immediate threat.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok I personally think Jeff did not do anything wrong. From how I read the article he heard two shots and thought the guard was shot.
    If that was the truth would he have been justified in shooting?

Top Bottom