• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Beretta 84 is nice if you find a Italian made one. Plus it is 13 rounds...

I'm not a fan of those, because of the double stack "feature." That gives you a .380 sized about like my XD9sc, just a bit smaller than a Glock 19. If you are going to carry a gun that size, why make it a .380 when you can have the much more effective 9mm?

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    We just shot our beautiful Beretta 85f cheetah. Single Stack, She did great with it, but it kicks hard and actually kind of hurt my hand, so we will be looking for a small 9mm. :)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Among the full-size .380s, the SIG is the best overall IMO. The Bersa is the best value for the money. The Walther PPK/S has a little of the James Bond panache, but at OVER 22 oz. for a .380 acp, I just don't get it. (?)

Might as well carry a 9 mm (like a Kahr CW9) if you're going to carry something that big and heavy.

The pocket .380s are another matter. I still like the Kel-Tec P3At better than the Ruger LCP. It's as good a pistol in every area where it counts and is cheaper. The Ruger beats it on fit/finish/cosmetics.

OldFaithful

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Starke County
    Another Bersa Recommendation

I've been CC for years with several different pistols, but my current favorite is the Bersa Thunder 380. It's small, yet fits my hand very well. Perhaps the best feature is it's ability to conceal completely, with no print. I've put hundred of rounds through it, with various types of ammo, and never had a jam or misfire. My only complaint would be that the slide is some soft, lightweight material and it has begun to show signs of wear at the points of contact with the steel frame. Otherwise I'd still recommend this pistol to anyone!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I haven't seen any .380 cartridges for sale anywhere in quite some time-where are you finding shells?

I was at Atterbury on Sunday and the SRO said he had a lot of .380. I was surprised that they had that ammo in stock. Not Wally world prices, but not bad. Probably because they aren't open through the week. :dunno:

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I haven't seen any .380 cartridges for sale anywhere in quite some time-where are you finding shells?

One thing about .380 ammo it is VERY hard to come by. I have been looking and looking for some for my new RUGER LCP to just break the little gun in with. And I had to finally buy some more expensive 50 round Independence 90 grain FJM for 29.99. It was tough to find even the more expensive stuff (here in NC I had to drive 30 minutes to find some, and even then I had to drive there twice because the first time they only had hollowpoints which I only needed one box for home defense as it was so spendy).
    So far I love my little Ruger LCP, but have not shot it as I just finally got ammo for it today after about a 20 days of looking for ammo. I do like that it is easy for me to rack the slide, but the sights leave much to be desired. I love it for my soon to be open carry and in the future after my conceal carry class I will love it more because it will be very EASY to hide. I think I would advise you to find a gun maybe that it is easier to get ammo for.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Rooster007, maybe a little insight into your decision process for deciding on a 380 for your wife would help us provide more helpful feedback.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Your quest mirror my own. When my wife fist received her LTCH, she wanted something concealable, controllable and powerful enough to get the job done.

This is what she chose as her first real handgun:
    channelandbullets.jpg

Bersa Thunder 380cc (Cost ~390 bucks)

After some time with the Bersa 380cc, she finally decided that she wanted more power and the utmost in reliability. This is what she now carries:
    rugerlcrchanel.jpg

golddots.jpg

Ruger LCR .38 Special (Cost ~390 bucks)

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Your quest mirror my own. When my wife fist received her LTCH, she wanted something concealable, controllable and powerful enough to get the job done.

This is what she chose as her first real handgun:

Bersa Thunder 380cc (Cost ~390 bucks)

After some time with the Bersa 380cc, she finally decided that she wanted more power and the utmost in reliability. This is what she now carries:

Ruger LCR .38 Special (Cost ~390 bucks)

Both are awesome choices.
    How's the trigger pull on the LCR? My wife has weak hands, and that is the only thing that concerns her about a revolver.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Both are awesome choices.
    How's the trigger pull on the LCR? My wife has weak hands, and that is the only thing that concerns her about a revolver.

The LCR has the best out-of-box trigger of any small frame revolver. That is the one constant theme you will see when you read professional and personal reviews of the LCR. My wife could not pull the trigger of any of the J-frame Smiths without having her hands begin to shake. She tried the LCR and said right away, "this is my new gun". The best part is that the LCR's trigger gets even better after a couple hundred pulls. My wife also learned right away how to stage the double action trigger for increased accuracy... She's a dead shot with it. She also learned to control recoil by changing her supporting hand thumb position over the back of her strong hand. She now says that the felt recoil is half of what is used to be... she's a happy shooter.

This video link shows the best way to shoot a snubbie revolver:
    Tiles with Categories

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The LCR has the best out-of-box trigger of any small frame revolver. That is the one constant theme you will see when you read professional and personal reviews of the LCR. My wife could not pull the trigger of any of the J-frame Smiths without having her hands begin to shake. She tried the LCR and said right away, "this is my new gun". The best part is that the LCR's trigger gets even better after a couple hundred pulls. My wife also learned right away how to stage the double action trigger for increased accuracy... She's a dead shot with it. She also learned to control recoil by changing her supporting hand thumb position over the back of her strong hand. She now says that the felt recoil is half of what is used to be... she's a happy shooter.

This video link shows the best way to shoot a snubbie revolver:
    Tiles with Categories

Awesome, thanks for the info!
    My wife likes the simplicity of a revolver, so we will have to give the LCR a look.

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    My wife has a Ruger LCP. It is by no means a fun gun to shoot but it gets the job done in a small package. 500 Rounds through and no failures what so ever. It's amazingly accurate for the size.

Last edited:

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    You might check out the Taurus PT138 line up. I bought one for my wife and I really liked the price and the trigger take up,grip, very reliable easy to rack slide also the new models have a thumb safety

Last edited:
    Top Bottom