• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My sister bought several acres just south of Monrovia. It is mainly wooded with steep sided valleys. The property was less expensive as you do need some sort of motorized transport to get to some of it and it is a natural setting for shooting. Had a few issues with some locals over property lines but after we came down and had a few shoots these issues went away.
    Stay within a half hour drive time to a decent shopping center and the wife will eventually come around.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    My sister bought several acres just south of Monrovia. It is mainly wooded with steep sided valleys. The property was less expensive as you do need some sort of motorized transport to get to some of it and it is a natural setting for shooting. Had a few issues with some locals over property lines but after we came down and had a few shoots these issues went away.
    Stay within a half hour drive time to a decent shopping center and the wife will eventually come around.
    I would love to be able to do that. Unfortunately, my wife's job would not allow for a drastic move. We are limited to the area surrounding Richmond. She's willing to live 30 minutes out as long as we don't live in NC school distric.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We just moved out to a couple acres and I shoot on occation in my backyard. The main thing is that I wouldn't plan on shooting anything bigger than a 22lr within an acre or two of a neighbors house no matter what. It's really easy for all the guys here to say buy 10 - 100 acres and build a cabin until they have to pay for it or convince a pretty wife to do it.

When we first got out there the first thing we wanted to do was to be cool with the neighbors and at least not upset them all right off the bat so I held back on shooting any guns back there, but they did see a good sized mound of dirt get pushed up out back. After I'd been outside for a few weekends it was pretty clear that I wasn't the only guy living nearby who was a gun owner/shooter. Once I had heard plenty of shooting, of plenty different directions, I knew I'd be alright and nobody has complained yet (knock on wood).

You may be surprised but you may find your neighbors are gun folks too. One of my neighbors and I were chatting and discussing my backstop and before you know it I'd found out he was a gun guy with an AR-15 and he mentioned that he'd go halves on a clay pigeon thrower if we ever wanted to get into shooting clays. The biggest thing I'd recommend is being cool with your neighbors first. You're always going to get more better long term results being known as a good neighbor first, and a gun guy second.

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    We are sort of in the same situation...but a few steps ahead of you. We just purchased a new place...hopefully the neighbors don't mind us being gun enthusiasts. :)

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Just check the laws for where you are considering. Personally I live quite near Noblesville but am actually in the township not in the city limits. In Noblesville, as well as most towns and cities, discharging a firearm is illegal. But outside the limits you are subject to county regulations and there is not currently a Hamilton County law against discharging a firearm.

I don't have a square mile, just about 4 acres and I do shoot some target and small varmints on my property. Some of the neighbors do the same. I really don't care if any of my neighbors are gun hating liberals, they can just move as far as I'm concerned.

As always, though, SAFETY is important. That "be sure of your target and what's beyond it" applies no matter what. So I usually position myself in a higher location so that the ground is beyond my target. That way I don't get into the situation where the bullet goes beyond my property.

I've shot handgun rounds, .22LR, and .223 Remington.

A good friend has a nice place in northern Hamilton Cty just east of Atlanta. No problem shooting there. The closest neighbor to the east, the direction we shoot there, is about 2.5 miles. There is a conveniently placed ridge about 300 yds out that stops any high shots.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We were in the same boat a few years ago moved to Indiana from South Dakota we moved to unicorporated area where it is legal to shoot on your own property. I rember playing socer out back with my son and the Nearest Neighbor cam roarng over on his 4 wheeler and promptly proceeded to tell us he bought his house for privacy for a reason, My response to him was well i guess you should have purchased our home and property when you had the chance. He told me he was From Chicago and I guess he brought his elitist mentality with him to Indiana. Last spring I was out teaching my son how to shoot. with a Henry 22lr lever action. Once again same thing he came roaring over while driving his 4 wheeler across seveal trees he had just planted to order me to stop shooting or he was going to call The Porter county sheriffs department on me. Me says fine we will stop shooting then. My son weas really upset I told him not to worry we would just walk up to the house and get the 20 gauge shot gun and some 3 inch shells and the Mini 14 and do a little more target practice. Sure enough about a half hour later Porter County shows up at my door for a shots fired call. My wife sent him back to our back fourty where my son and I were still having a ball picking off tin cans and water jugs in front of our 8ft back stop which is in front of two rail way berms that go up about 15 feet from ground level. Thats from an abandoned rail way that is on our property. Needless to say the officer appologized and went over to have a little chat with Mr. Happy pants have not had a problem since. Good luck

Last edited:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    We were in the same boat a few years ago moved to Indiana from South Dakota we moved to unicorporated area where it is legal to shoot on your own property. I rember playing socer out back with my son and the Nearest Neighbor cam roarng over on his 4 wheeler and promptly proceeded to tell us he bought his house for privacy for a reason, My response to him was well i guess you should have purchased our home and property when you had the chance. He told me he was From Chicago and I guess he brought his elitist mentality with him to Indiana. Last spring I was out teaching my son how to shoot. with a Henry 22lr lever action. Once again same thing he came roaring over while driving his 4 wheeler across seveal trees he had just planted to order me to stop shooting or he was going to call The Porter county sheriffs department on me. Me says fine we will stop shooting then. My son weas really upset I told him not to worry we would just walk up to the house and get the 20 gauge shot gun and some 3 inch shells and the Mini 14 and do a little more target practice. Sure enough about a half hour later Porter County shows up at my door for a shots fired call. My wife sent him back to our back fourty where my son and I were still having a ball picking off tin cans and water jugs in front of our 8ft back stop which is in front of two rail way berms that go up about 15 feet from ground level. Thats from an abandoned rail way that is on our property. Needless to say the officer appologized and went over to have a little chat with Mr. Happy pants have not had a problem since. Good luck

That's comical. Exactly what I want to avoid but comical.

I was simply thinking about ways to approach the situation from a political perspective. I want to keep the peace with my neighbors but I refuse to bend over backwards to keep the peace when faced with an irrational neighbor.

I have decided that I am going to advise our realtor that I intend to set up at least a 100 yard range in which I can fire .22 rifles and I will only consider properties where this is both legal and safe. Once we purchase our home, I will introduce myself to our neighbors atleast 1 time prior to engaging in any for of firearm discharge. I will then meet them again when I inform them that I am about to beging my shooting and invite them over to enjoy in the activities. If they don't like it? Oh well....... :ar15:

PhilDeez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than needed. Most people that have lived in the country anticipate neighbors shooting. Like other posters have said I rarely go through a day and don't hear gun shots from somewhere. I think a few friendly conversations to your neighbors about something else other than guns would help if your worried about it. Then start talking about guns but don't say "I intend to have a shooting range in my backyard." Say something like "ya I like to do some shooting on my time off and I'm glad i've finally got the property to do it on." I think you'll be suprised how little people care what you do on your own property. IMO country people are a little more laid back and understanding.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I grew up in one of the sections of indiana, that the population density is less than 1 person per square mile, and usually once we start shooting, the neighbors join in.

Ive even done the "shave and a haircut, two bits" thing with them.. lol

But living in Indy now, I cant imagine being able to shoot ANYWHERE less than an hour from here.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

I was simply thinking about ways to approach the situation from a political perspective. I want to keep the peace with my neighbors but I refuse to bend over backwards to keep the peace when faced with an irrational neighbor.

I have decided that I am going to advise our realtor that I intend to set up at least a 100 yard range in which I can fire .22 rifles and I will only consider properties where this is both legal and safe. Once we purchase our home, I will introduce myself to our neighbors atleast 1 time prior to engaging in any for of firearm discharge. I will then meet them again when I inform them that I am about to beging my shooting and invite them over to enjoy in the activities. If they don't like it? Oh well....... :ar15:
    Good thing is most people are really nice in the rural areas we just found the village idiot. Again the good news is our homes are about a quarter mile apart our property just happens to button up against his lot in our sw corner. Good luck

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Just have your wife introduce herself to the neighbors, and while she is doing that, start shooting your loudest your calibers down. When she gets back, ask her how many shots she heard. Anything she could hear at the neighbors, dont shoot before 11am or near dusk.

Or just let her chose the house she wants (making sure you have enough land to safely shoot) and then inform her that she chose a house with to close of neighbors and you need a whole set of suppressors for every caliber you own. She gets the house she wants, you get some new toys.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    66DF5749-6389-4007-AB3C-BC92D3AE0922-1658-000001B1C80F54AF.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

So what happens when the neighbors you make nice with move?

I guess I get trying to start off in a good way, but there is no guarantee that whomever you make nice will even live there next week...

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

Absolutely gorgeous!! Based on the amount of snow and the amount of daylight (assuming the photo was taken today), you must be in the NW corner of the state?

So what happens when the neighbors you make nice with move?

I guess I get trying to start off in a good way, but there is no guarantee that whomever you make nice will even live there next week...

Well, guess I will just have to make sure to have my friends over for a little range therapy every time the realtor has an open house.... :D

Top Bottom