• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Im interested in getting an AR15 and im wondering if im better off buying or building. I know it might not be the best time as prices are high and inventory is low. If i build what lowers are good to start with, i like spikes tactical but seems they are out of stock forever. Any suggestions on good lowers to start is helpful
    Im new here and have learned alot from all of you so thank you.
    Jaks

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    With the parts supply being so low I would say it will be easier to buy than to build.
    That is if you can find one that is to your liking, & with the features you want.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    If you build it you're going to spend between $900 and $2000. If you buy it you're going to spend between $900 and $2000 on the gun and another $500 making it yours. If you're not looking for your long lost AR lover, buy one. If you don't want to be out extra cash from the start, build it.

-Dobber

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would buy my first one then once you have spent some time with it, build your next.

I have a factory built olympic, a gunsmith built delton and a me built aero precision.

I personally doubt there's ten cents of difference between the lowers.

I think the parts kit can make a difference if you're building your own, especially the fire control group. I went with a spikes enhanced lpk on the aero precision and really do like the trigger.

Now is not the best time to buy an AR, you are right about that. Even knowing the market and that I expect prices to fall, if I lost my AR's through fire/theft/gambling/loose women or some other such misfortune, one of the first things I would do is to buy another one, prices be damned. AR's are exceptionally handy rifles. Get one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You don't have to buy a Spikes. Most any mil-spec forged aluminum lower is fine. It is a non-moving part of the rifle. When I built mine, I found a sale on an Aero Precision. I paid $99 from Bradis. I had just shy of $1000 in mine and it was a nice one. I looked and the closet one I could get similarly outfitted like mine was over $1300.

I had a lot of fun building mine. I would like to build a bolt gun now, but I think there is more to it to get supreme accuracy.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Why wouldn't you build? It CAN be cheaper, it is very easy, and you'll learn how your new rifle works!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would plan to build all the while being ready to buy. You never know what might come along while you are collecting parts.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    And building let's you spread the cost out if you want to/if that's a factor.

And you get one configured exactly like you want.

civilshoot582

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm in the same situation that you are. I contemplated building my first AR, so I created a spreadsheet budgeting out the price of all the parts needed to do a complete build the way I wanted it to turn out. I picked parts from popular websites (Brownells,PSA, etc.) that were priced in the middle of the road. That way I knew I wasn't getting the cheapest parts available but I also wasn't getting the very best. The total cost ended up being well over $1000. I think that I am going to buy my first rifle and then do a few builds later on down the road.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Not having any experience with the AR-15 platform, I had no clue what I wanted despite reading as much as I could find on the subject. I wanted to get my hands on one to get familiar with a proper rifle before venturing into assembling my own. My vote is to buy your first before trying to piece one together, unless you're already pretty familiar with them. You can always take apart the purchased rifle to get more familiar with it and swap parts a little easier than picking them out from nothing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Now is the time to sell not buy!

If I wanted one now and didnt have a ton to spend I would buy if no hurry take your time and build a sweet custom job.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have been working on building one myself. I started last Oct right before all the problems. Parts are tight for sure. I have been hunting for a reasonably priced BCG for what seems like forever now. You just have to be patient.

This is my first AR. I opted to go that way for several reasons. I figured it would be a fun project. Plus, as has been said, it is a great way to learn how the gun works.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I started several years ago with an INGO group buy on STAG lowers. Will put togeather my first one tomorrow .

I plan on shooting it some then make plans for the next. :rockwoot:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I think right now, buying is the best approach for a first AR, but that all depends on what you want to do with your AR, and if you can find one not over priced. If you just want a plinker, buying one would be your best part, mainly due to the availability of parts.

Building one is a great way to find out how an AR works and how to service one yourself if something breaks. However, with the supply of parts it will be more difficult than going to Midway and placing an order for everything you're going to need. Things are getting better. I have seen over the course of a few weeks all the parts needed to build a complete AR <$1000 online and in stock. Just need to keep an eye out, know what you want and need, and be ready to jump on it as soon as its available. I build all mine now, I just find it more fun then just spending the money.

Top Bottom