• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I hope they get it fixed for you. I read that Bushmaster sold out about 5 years ago to a company that Owns Remington, DPMS, Marlin, etc. I hear that's where the problem started. When they started producing rifles under the new company. The company I guess is building a DPMS rifle and putting Bushmasters name on it.

This is true but DPMS rifles aren't all bad! I've had two good shooting DPMS AR's and several friends with them! All companies screw up it's just a part of life sadly, hope they send it back with 0 problems! :yesway:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    From the symptoms you describe it sounds like it might be under gassed.

Is your carrier key tight on the bolt carrier? Is it staked properly? Do the gas rings on the bolt look sound? Did you offset the gaps in the rings? On a properly gassed rifle, you can run it with one ring, but make sure your ring gaps aren't aligned.

This ^^^

Short story. My friend had a problem similar to yours with his Bushmaster. It was basically a single shot rifle that required use of the charging handle after every shot or every other shot and failure to lock back. We tried all kinds of remedies (different buffers/springs and thorough cleaning). Two days ago he purchased a brand new RRA. While making the purchase he mentioned his Bushy. The salesman agreed to take the rifle and have his armorer take a peek at no charge (since he just bought a rifle). He got it back yesterday .... diagnosis was a loose gas key. They re-staked the key and replaced his gas rings for good measure. Test fired two mags without a hitch (something that hasn't happened in a couple years).

All that to say: check your gas system.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This is true but DPMS rifles aren't all bad! I've had two good shooting DPMS AR's and several friends with them! All companies screw up it's just a part of life sadly, hope they send it back with 0 problems! :yesway:

I'm not bashing DPMS as I have no experience with their products. Just referring to what I have read.

bbr1121

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    murca
    hope to have it back by the end of next week. like i said, i mentioned some different possibilities in the letter i included and also spoke with one of their representatives. as soon as i get it back, i'll let you guys know the diagnosis (and if they fixed it this time...). i really appreciate the help.

ChromeLined

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I have a Bushmaster with a 16'' barrel.A post ban made before Bushmaster sold out.
    Its a timing issue with steel cased ammo.Its a carbine problem.
    Mine has never liked steel cased ammo.

My gas key did loosen about a year ago.But that was probably a similar problem from the carbines timing.
    With the exception of trying steel cased ammo Iv turned mine into a smoothbore from all the brass iv shot with zero hickups.

PMC brass is going for $6.50 a box online, see if its reliable with brass, it should be.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

True indeed. I would rate DPMS way ahead of Bushmasters.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I hope they get it fixed for you. I read that Bushmaster sold out about 5 years ago to a company that Owns Remington, DPMS, Marlin, etc. I hear that's where the problem started. When they started producing rifles under the new company. The company I guess is building a DPMS rifle and putting Bushmasters name on it.

Remington bought Bushmaster in 2007. Nothing changed with the production of rifles until fairly recently. This year they shut down the BM plant, let go most of their 73 employees, and moved production to Remington facilities. They just started the production of BM rifles again at the new location with mostly all new employees.

My concern is that they lost all that knowledge when they lost the original employees. It will take years in some cases for the new guys to be as capable as the old crew. I'm glad my two BM rifles are from the original crew.

I hope Remington gets the OP fixed up. I hear mixed reports about their customer service. Keep us posted, and good luck.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Remington bought Bushmaster in 2007. Nothing changed with the production of rifles until fairly recently. This year they shut down the BM plant, let go most of their 73 employees, and moved production to Remington facilities. They just started the production of BM rifles again at the new location with mostly all new employees.

My concern is that they lost all that knowledge when they lost the original employees. It will take years in some cases for the new guys to be as capable as the old crew. I'm glad my two BM rifles are from the original crew.

I hope Remington gets the OP fixed up. I hear mixed reports about their customer service. Keep us posted, and good luck.

I'm also glad mine was made by the original crew.

ChromeLined

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Was it staked properly to begin with? A properly staked gas key should not come loose due to a gas timing issue.

Probably not lol, I actually just pulled my bolt carrier out to take a peak, its starting to loosen again.So I change my statement to a no lol

Its staked, it just seems like it was staked a half thread loose

Im overdue on my 1st barrel swap, I guess I should look into a carrier as well?

ChromeLined

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I was thinking about it today, I think Im just going to get a new upper and call it what it was.
    My entry into the ar15 world lol.

It has a fixed carry handle and iv been wanting to modernize it anyway.
    Iv kept very good care of it, that lowers worth a nicer upper and optics isnt it?
    I was thinking YHM unless anyone has any horror story's first lol, off to search for YHM threads.

But ''Ill be back'' lol

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have heard the complete opposite, my friend switched from DPMS to Olympic Arms. Of course I'm going off word alone. Most everyone I run into at the range own Bushmasters.

My DPMS has around 2000 rounds through it without a single jam or any other issue.

Of course I bought it back in '07, before the Barack Obama run where everyone was buying an AR15. Back in late '08 - early '09 some companies started pushing quantity over quality.

bbr1121

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    murca
    UPDATE......

Got the rifle back a few days ago. This time, I was very clear that I believed the problem was that the rifle was undergassed. Keep in mind, my rifle has now been back to bushmaster for warranty "adjustments" twice. ALL THEY DID THIS TIME WAS "ADJUST THE MAGAZINE LATCH." They didn't even bother to take the time to look at the gas system. Needless to say, the rifle WAS NOT fixed and was just as screwed up as it was out of the box. I am so fed up with this company at this point. 1000 dollars down the drain. Had I known that bushmaster joined a huge conglomerate called Freedom Arms that is controlled in part by George Soros, I would have never made the purchase. It really saddens me that a company that once was highly respected as one of the best in the business sold out and makes JUNK now.
    Just to freshen your memories, I bought a brand new bushmaster xm15e2s and have now have had it back to the factory to get fixed 2 times and it still doesnt work. Im so pissed right now i could ramble on for hours.
    I'm getting ready to call them and tell them they can either send me a new rifle, new upper or a refund. If they refuse, I will send the POS back and tell them to keep it and I'll write it off as a loss on my taxes. If they refuse to replace or refund the purchase, I just couldn't bring myself to sell it to someone in it's current condition.
    Thanks for all the input guys and STAY AWAY FROM BUSHMASTER JUNK...

bbr1121

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    murca
    UPDATE...

Got the rifle back a few days ago. This time, I was very clear that I believed the problem was that the rifle was undergassed. Keep in mind, my rifle has now been back to bushmaster for warranty "adjustments" twice. ALL THEY DID THIS TIME WAS "ADJUST THE MAGAZINE LATCH." They didn't even bother to take the time to look at the gas system. Needless to say, the rifle WAS NOT fixed and was just as screwed up as it was out of the box. I am so fed up with this company at this point. 1000 dollars down the drain. Had I known that bushmaster joined a huge conglomerate called Freedom Arms that is controlled in part by George Soros, I would have never made the purchase. It really saddens me that a company that once was highly respected as one of the best in the business sold out and makes JUNK now.
    Just to freshen your memories, I bought a brand new bushmaster xm15e2s and have now have had it back to the factory to get fixed 2 times and it still doesnt work. Im so pissed right now i could ramble on for hours.
    I'm getting ready to call them and tell them they can either send me a new rifle, new upper or a refund. If they refuse, I will send the POS back and tell them to keep it and I'll write it off as a loss on my taxes. If they refuse to replace or refund the purchase, I just couldn't bring myself to sell it to someone in it's current condition.
    Thanks for all the input guys and STAY AWAY FROM BUSHMASTER JUNK...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Can I ask a dumb question? Besides the fact that you shouldn't have to take a new rifle to a gunsmith, why not take the rifle to a trustworthy gunsmith and have them do the repairs since you seem to already know exactly what's wrong with the gun. Apparently their customer service has gone downhill since the time I sent an upper into them. I only had to send mine in once and it's been 100% ever since. Post a pic of your rifle, someone may be more than willing to take on the rifle as a project and make the repairs you've already spelled out.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Where are you at bbr? if you live close enough to me I can fix your rifle for you.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Go to M4carbine.net, and click on "I bought a Bushmaster before I knew better" knowledge base thread, it will show you how to overcome some bm issues.

Top Bottom