• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The AR15 Bushmaster is the most evil of the most evil black guns, according to many in the government. You do trust the government, don't you?

For a rifle within the $1K to $1.5K range, the Bushmaster one of the top brands. However, I have heard that the Bushmaster quality is not what it used to be when it was made in Maine. At $900, my Bushmaster is Maine Made and is just fine for me. My Knight's Stoner SR25, at 5 times the cost is more expensive, but better? I am a Eugene Stoner fan and that is the only reason I have one.

However, If I were back in th jungle unarmed and in need of a rifle and then I came across a M16 and an AK, both with all the ammo I could carry, I think today, I'd grab the AK. This is not to say the M16 is a bad rifle.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would not buy a new Bushmaster. I had one that was built in Maine before Bushmaster sold out, it was a good rifle. Just do some research on You Tube. I have also known a couple of people with newer Bushmaster rifles as well. They are not what they used to be. I would look at RRA, Stag, etc. in that price range.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've had my Bushmaster XM-15 E2S for 10 years and have not had a problem with it. Like the others have said, mine was built in Maine and I don't have any experience with the newer rifles. Just look around and search the interwebs, plenty of great companies that build AR-15's out there.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Was in the military 7 years beginning in the early 70s both as an enlisted man and as an officer. Was assigned as a range officer for a period of time. Lived with the M16 (AR15) most of those years. On the range we would [FONT=&quot]had a very low [/FONT] failure to feed/eject mostly feed problems from cheap magazines. When ARs became available and affordable I purchased a Colt. Thought it was a good gun. Then purchased a Bushmaster from a Deputy Sheriff buddy and was amazed at how much better the Bushmaster build quality was. I have shot the Stag and Rock River ARs and my opinion is that the Bushy was/is a slightly better built weapon. I think the Stag and Rock River ARs are quality weapons irrespective of my personal subjective comparison to Bushmaster ARs. I now have 2 Bushmasters, a 5.56mm and a 6.8mm. Both have been completely reliable. The AR industry has had 50 years to perfect the AR platform and I suspect that most ARs from the quality manufacturers will run extremely well if properly maintained and good magazines are used. I have no opinion about the current Bushmaster production quality as I am unfamiliar but the gun writers still think highly of the Bushmasters irrespective of the youtube "experts". Were you to acquire a Stoner type AR or a piston operated AR from a reputable manufacturer, the reliability of the AR platform is as good as any other high quality gun platform such as the 1911 based on my experiences over the last 40 years.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is Indiana, not Afghanistan. Any name brand AR-15 will do just fine. Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt (paying for the name), the M&P-15, etc well all be more than capable of handling anything you are going to do with it......
    Unless you're a super tacticool mall ninja who gets into regular, super high round count, crazy instenstive, gun battles in the jungles of Indiana with the Taliban for weeks on end without any real chance of doing real maintenance on the gun.....you'll be fine.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Unless you're a super tacticool mall ninja who gets into regular, super high round count, crazy instenstive, gun battles in the jungles of Indiana with the Taliban for weeks on end without any real chance of doing real maintenance on the gun.....you'll be fine.

Dang, that means a Bushmaster's off my list. :D

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    For the Price of that bushy, you can get a colt LE6920, or a double star (my personal favorite of the mass produced black boys).

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Comparing the Patrolman I have side by side to a colt 6920, I find absolutely no difference. It has been a great rifle so far (though I have not even shot it yet)

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Comparing the Patrolman I have side by side to a colt 6920, I find absolutely no difference. It has been a great rifle so far (though I have not even shot it yet)

Visually - yes, materials, testing and QC - BIG difference.

How can it be a "great rifle" if you haven't shot it?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

A side by side comparison? You know besides the exception of polymer, most mass produced AR15's these days (2008 and up more specifically) have the same standard for their receivers and visual parts for that matter. Also with the exception of junk (IMO) polymer receivers, its the internals and shooting moa that is to be compared.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is Indiana, not Afghanistan. Any name brand AR-15 will do just fine. Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt (paying for the name), the M&P-15, etc well all be more than capable of handling anything you are going to do with it......

Speaking from what experience?

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I got an AK shorty on 8/19/04, during the ban. Worked fine. After the ban I swapped in an Adams Arms upper and a Bushmaster collapsible stock. So now I only have the lower, but am really happy with it. I use it for 3 gun, so it gets a few rounds through it each year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom