• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have never been burned like this before.

I posted in the "Funny Work Stories" thread. Short version, I splashed super hot oil from a fryer all over me, and it soaked my arm. ER has me on pain meds and got me this huge tub of Silvadene cream.

Now, I have not gotten to change the bandage yet. I only have pics right after the burn, they aren't that interesting. I have multiple blisters from these bad second degree burns. One I can feel, the biggest, and it's at least 4+ inches long. I hope it is still there in the morning LOL so I can see it and get pics to post. If it gets popped in my sleep, I will be pissed, it will soak everything.

Anyone get second degree burns before? Do they generally leave nasty scars?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Keep the blisters intact. They are nature's bandaid and protection from infection. Shouldn't scar too much unless it burned deeply. They do hurt like crazy.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Ouch! Definitely do your best to keep those blisters intact. Once they pop, any contact will hurt like crazy.

I know it's not quite the same, but here's a shot of some serious rope burn I received last summer courtesy of my dog. It took months to properly heal and that first shower after the fact was probably the most painful thing I've ever felt! I have some pretty gnarly hyperpigmentation scarring there now that tends to get a lot of stares.

IMG_6158.jpg

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    Do not let the blisters burst and dry. The bandage will stick to the burn and when you peel it off it will take some skin with it. Get some no-stick gauze pads and keep the silvadine on it. Also keep the skin stretched or it will shrivel and hurt every time you move. I had a 2nd degree electrical burn earlier this year and had to do this stuff to help it heal. No scars but a little red for about a month after the new skin grew.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yep, I was told to keep them intact, it only feels like a sun burn right now, and not even a bad sun burn. And that's only because I took Norco at 4. It has probably worn off by now. Before I hardly even felt anything.

If it doesn't scar, will the hair grow normal? I think it would look weird to have arm hair grown in patches hahahaah!

I was dying to look under the bandage, so I got a peek. It felt good to air it out too!

ETA: Yes, employer took my to CVS and bought me a whole bag full of non-stick dressings, some wraps, and cleaning stuff. I will for sure not put any of those 1st degree burn products that create a "artificial scab" over my burns. When it comes time to remove those things, they will peel all my skin off! And regular gauze wills tick to the skin too, yep.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Oooh! You did a number on yourself!!! I'm assuming your burns aren't deep enough to have damaged the hair follicles. The big patch on my leg still doesn't grow hair.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ouch! Definitely do your best to keep those blisters intact. Once they pop, any contact will hurt like crazy.

I know it's not quite the same, but here's a shot of some serious rope burn I received last summer courtesy of my dog. It took months to properly heal and that first shower after the fact was probably the most painful thing I've ever felt! I have some pretty gnarly hyperpigmentation scarring there now that tends to get a lot of stares.

IMG_6158.jpg

My gosh, yep, that for sure would leave a scar! Good thing about my burns is that water doesn't hurt :D as long as it's cold water. Yours the skin is like gone, I bet it felt like a thousand needles!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've only had one bad burn blister. Just on the pad of my middle finger when I flipped a burner cover off the stove because I had turned on the wrong burner and was scorching the burner cover. I don't remember being in that much pain except for direct pressure. But I do remember having to go to piano lessons that week and making all kinds of hand contortions to play the piece I was working on. Played it perfectly despite it being a piece I'd been having trouble with. The things we remember, huh?

I hope it doesn't get painful and that the blisters don't pop.

Oooh! You did a number on yourself!!! I'm assuming your burns aren't deep enough to have damaged the hair follicles. The big patch on my leg still doesn't grow hair.

They make less painful ways to remove hair, ya know? :D

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    It was 1986, I was 14, and my family was going to a pitch in dinner and swim party at the local Moose Lodge where my parents belonged.

Crock pot of green beans - 1
    Indytechnerd - 0

Crock pot got tipped, and sloshed directly onto my left foot. Wearing a sock/shoe helped, but where the shoe wasn't very tight, it took the top layer of skin right off. And, I picked up some nice blisters. Still have faint scars on the top of my foot from them. What truly sucked is that I had 0 participation in the event as the accident happened almost immediately after we got there.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Smoked my arm on metal around 800 degrees 2 weeks ago. Blister quick, popped at day 3.
    Just a red mark now (all damaged layers peeled, no crust, just pink and red smooth). Was 3"x2", small one this time.

I heal really fast (genetically predisposed to klutziness), with minimal scarring (burns fade but take about a yr to fully disappear).

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have no plans on suing.

If the fryer exploded I would. But I was cleaning it, and technically we are suppose to wear arm length safety gloves, and a safety apron, but nobody does unless we are cleaning the bottom of the vat and the element, my fault, nobody else's.

Even the managers don't wear the safety stuff when they clean it. I for sure know it's going to be lead by example, and they will start wearing all the safety gear, and tell us we have to as well all the time.

Especially since I was the second person that day it happened to.

That picture I posted last night is outdated :D This is from this morning, and now it is even worse, it has extended 180+ degrees around my arm, and is huge!

I didn't take a pic this afternoon but here is the one from this morning, it's even bigger than this now though.

I actually only took pain meds right after it happened, and then 1/2 a dose before I went to bed. I have not taken any since then. It doesn't hurt, and it feels sort of numb to the touch, but I can still feel it. Doc appointment tomorrow. She said not to pop the blister, even if it gets bigger and bigger.

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had a couple 3rd degree burns... nothing big, but even 5 years later, I still have a scar from putting out a cig on my arm to impress a girl in HS... didn't end up with the girl, but she did say that it was bad-ass...

Second 3rd-degree burn I got was working with a cutting torch. The piece had stopped glowing at the end I was moving, so it didn't occur to me that it was still hot as hellfire. Long story short, it flopped onto my forearm, and I heard a nice sizzle. Yanked my arm down away from the piece and there was this nice piece of flesh that was now blackened. About a pea's width and about 2" long. Didn't hurt until I sanitized it. Still have a small scar from that, 3 years later.

2nd degree scars usually end up being lack of pigmentation scars. I've got a scar that comes and goes depending on my sun intake... from a 2nd degree burn I got 10 years ago...steam vent and clumsy 11-y-o me didn't get along well.

Also have a chem burn on my right trigger finger knuckle... tear in a glove when working with naval jelly at age 13.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    How bad did it hurt to put it out on your arm? That is crazy lol! I hope I never get a 3rd degree burn.

EDIT: Sigh :( unless a mod from INGO wants my pictures removed, they are staying. I couldn't care less if anyone here flags them off of imageshack, I can just re-upload them :D or I will link them from a different source.

These aren't even graphic.... it's just a big blister and some red skin. If you want to see graphic, go look at some dissected or shot animals over in the outdoor sub forum :D

EDIT EDIT: Pics are back up again!

Last edited:

Smokle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I had got a 2nd degree burn with blister on my arm the other day from a freakin bean burrito -.- **** feel on my arm and I just sat there saying owwww lol.. looked at it later and it was all bubbled up

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yea, I have touched and had some hot stuff fall on me before, and it always is instantly painful and I'm going OWWW.

I have never been burned with oil like this before. It was actually really weird. It all splashed on me, and I took my other hand ( I was wearing gloves to make food ) and started wiping it off my arm on the way to the back, to the sink. It didn't even hurt one bit. I had it under water, and within a minute it started to burn. Not bad at all though. As time went on it got red, and I got blisters, and eventually they said I better go to the hospital.

It did hurt on the way to the hospital and shortly after, but more like a sunburn.

Now it doesn't hurt at all, just is tight feeling, and like I said, the last time I took pain meds was at 12:00 midnight. So guess I now have almost a whole bottle left over, and the 1/3 bottle I had left over from my surgery a few months ago that is locked in the safe, which happens to be the same stuff, and same dosage lol.

They also gave me this huge tub of antibacterial silvadene cream. I don't see how I am going to use the whole tub considering the hospital gave me the opened tube they initially used.

Too bad medicine has an expiration date, this stuff could come in handy one day.

I heard in this thread, on other places that when you don't feel pain, that's when you worry, but I'm not complaining. By the looks of it, I DON'T want to know what it feels like. I haven't lost feeling in the arm either, it is just sort of numb to the touch. ER was testing it, they said I would be fine.

Top Bottom