• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Use the silvadine cream as prescribed, then when the scabs go away...go buy some vitamin E capsules and rub the gel in. That will help with the scarring a bit. I had my hand pulled into a meat grinder, and it really helped with the scars elasticity, not so much with the arthritic pain with barometric changes. :(

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    baken-ets-traditional.gif

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I have never been burned like this before.

I posted in the "Funny Work Stories" thread. Short version, I splashed super hot oil from a fryer all over me, and it soaked my arm. ER has me on pain meds and got me this huge tub of Silvadene cream.

Now, I have not gotten to change the bandage yet. I only have pics right after the burn, they aren't that interesting. I have multiple blisters from these bad second degree burns. One I can feel, the biggest, and it's at least 4+ inches long. I hope it is still there in the morning LOL so I can see it and get pics to post. If it gets popped in my sleep, I will be pissed, it will soak everything.

Anyone get second degree burns before? Do they generally leave nasty scars?

Fryer burns are the worst! Had my fair share through out the years.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Update.

Plastic surgeon today by family doc and ER orders.
    Doc said possibly 3rd degree, but she did not want to touch it before the surgeon today.

It doesn't hurt, no pain meds needed. That big blister popped lol!

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Awwwww sorry to hear on the plastic surgeon appointment! That really stinks. Hopefully you won't require any serious care.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    WOW, that's crazy. Sorry about your luck. Hopefully the plastic surgeon is just precautionary. Ill give you some rep, hopefully it will make you feel better.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks for the vitamin e tips!

Good news, docs were overly concerned. Plastic surgeon burn doctor said even if I had 3rd degree burns the live skin around it would have me in agony. He said they are all 1st and 2nd degree. He said family doctor was overreacting. And getting a little carried away talking about skin grafts and stuff. He said everyone is different and my burns didn't hurt because I have a higher tolerance.

No plastic surgery needed only weekly follow ups. He said he is not a fan of silvadine and to use bacitracin instead.

He tortured me though, took scissors and tweezers and peeled away the slimy gooey flesh. It is all red and bloody looking underneath. NOW it hurts haha.

By the way all my doctors let me OC to all appointments. Nobody even brought the firearm into a discussion. +1

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Kinda surprised at the OC thing. but that's good nonetheless

Well went back today and this reception lady said she was all for guns but she thinks it is illegal to open carry if not LEO.
    I was nice and said you can carry almost anywhere and however* you want here in IN even a bank.

She then asks to see my LTCH. I gave it to her and she said it is illegal to carry in an office. I said nope, but I think VAhospitals are off limits.

She asks where she can get trained and I gave her Guy Relfords info. She then took my BP and said doc would be right in.

Doc didn't even mention the firearm. All went well. Then I go get a follow up in a month per docs orders and lady said as a private business they have a right to have a no gun policy and next time signs will be up. I said OK well cancel that appointment I will go see another doctor. Dr was standing there and he was silent. I'm guessing he would rather lose a patient than an employee he likes? She then says I can leave it in my car.

I said no, that's a good place for it to get stolen in indianapolis and kept walking.

Also for those interested I ended up buying active Manuka 15+ honey and using it in place of silvadene. The stuff really worked great.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a 2nd degree blister on my thumb from hot melt glue (pro-tip, hot melt is not what you want to use on your skin) but it spanned the joint. Wound up having to slice it in quarters with an Xacto and heal each section individually. Hurt like a bad place, but wound up healing faster overall.

Bad blisters there, but as long as it's blisters and not cooked/seared, you should heal ok, even if it's a bit unsightly. I also have various grease and solder and whatnot burns, mostly permanent, but nothing that big.

The expiration date on your medication is kind of an imaginary thing. Liquids die out fastest, but solids like pills are generally considered good for a full year past the expiration, some even more. Good data are understandably hard to find.

Top Bottom