• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I think the bullied kid should have been taken out and got a cd, a handshake, and a pat on the back. He showed restraint for a bit, then decided enough was enough, and took care of some business.

Twig Boy got knocked down a peg or two, and maybe that will stick with him. Doubtful, but hopefully.

+1 to the bullied youth!

-MColford

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well some of use that don't believe in the zero tolerance policy most certainly have someone to blame in this scenario. Not disagreeing for the sake of argument, but because in my eyes the zero tolerance policy is just a way to shift responsibility away from administrators because a child's parent can't look at the educators registry and call a policy at home and harass them.

So you would blame a person that was told to follow a policy that they did not create nor that they necessarily agree with?

So let me get this straight. At your job your employer lays down guidelines of your job. Are you saying that you would blatantly ignore those guidelines and risk losing your job just because you don't agree with what they told you to do? I can understand doing that for something major (ie, your boss tells you to strip naked and dance in front of the office) but at that point you would probably be ready to quit your job anyways.

Lets say you work in HR. Your boss tells you that you will be in charge of firing people. One day your boss comes to you and says, "fire larry because I think he drinks too much coffee, and it makes him jittery, and that could be dangerous". Are you going to fire Larry like your boss told you to? Or are you going to retort to your boss, "No, Larry hasn't had any accidents yet so I see no reason why his jitters effect his performance at work, I won't fire him."

Wanna guess who is getting fired next? You, because you didn't follow the policy/guidelines/job description laid out in front of you by your employer.

That is the same situation here. There are those that write the policy, and those that administer the policy. If those two groups are exclusive from one another, then you can't blame the person that administers the policy for what the policy is. Blame the right people. If you don't like the policy, then blame the people that wrote the policy. The people administering it are only trying to save their jobs; a thing that anybody else would do as well.

ETA, I know at my job, I do what my job description/work detail says I should do. If my boss asks me to do something outside of that, I evaluate if I should or should not do it (strip naked in front of the office, vs. help do xyz task that is outside of my job description). If I refuse to do something that is in my job description because I don't want to do it, you can bet your bottom that I'm gonna go bye-bye.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    So you would blame a person that was told to follow a policy that they did not create nor that they necessarily agree with?

So let me get this straight. At your job your employer lays down guidelines of your job. Are you saying that you would blatantly ignore those guidelines and risk losing your job just because you don't agree with what they told you to do? I can understand doing that for something major (ie, your boss tells you to strip naked and dance in front of the office) but at that point you would probably be ready to quit your job anyways.

Lets say you work in HR. Your boss tells you that you will be in charge of firing people. One day your boss comes to you and says, "fire larry because I think he drinks too much coffee, and it makes him jittery, and that could be dangerous". Are you going to fire Larry like your boss told you to? Or are you going to retort to your boss, "No, Larry hasn't had any accidents yet so I see no reason why his jitters effect his performance at work, I won't fire him."

Wanna guess who is getting fired next? You, because you didn't follow the policy/guidelines/job description laid out in front of you by your employer.

That is the same situation here. There are those that write the policy, and those that administer the policy. If those two groups are exclusive from one another, then you can't blame the person that administers the policy for what the policy is. Blame the right people. If you don't like the policy, then blame the people that wrote the policy. The people administering it are only trying to save their jobs; a thing that anybody else would do as well.

I was just pointing out that it is flawed and my thoughts on why they do it. Like I said I wasn't arguing the point with you but as someone who has suffered and run through the dredges because of it I think it is a seriously flawed system.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I'll put in my two cents.

I was bullied in school (being the new kid perpetually didn't help matters, I moved a lot). I had a bully in the sixth grade that was twice my size. For 3/4ths of the year, he'd been a real PITA. One morning, I'd had enough. He made some off comment to me, and I called him a jerk. He decided that it was time to rumble, and promptly got his ass handed to him. We both got 3 days of in school suspension. He never picked on me again, and we became friends.

I was at another school as a freshman, and decided to stand up to a bully. I didn't get a whoopin', but he used his size to pin me down and try to choke me out. I kept fighting until he got off my back.

My parents always told me to let them throw the first punch, and be willing to throw the second. So long as I wasn't the instigator, I was never going to get in trouble at home. It's the same thing I tell my son.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    Looked to me like the big kid used MAXIMUM restraint. As a dad to a big kid, well, he's 25 now, 6'4" 280+, I saw a lot of this in his school days, and the 'bullying' policies didn't make it go away or get any better. And so, yes, he spent a lot of time kicked out of school which didn't help his situation any.
    The last straw was of all things a GIRL who said he had threatened her with a knife at a school dance he did not attend. Of course there was the school rent a cop, wanting to search my home (like he wouldn't find a knife :rolleyes:). I told him to bugger off, so then I was 'uncooperative'. We finally had a little meeting/showdown with school officials and cops. They tried to really turn up the heat on him and got him all crying, and then asked if he was willing to take a lie detector test. He said yes. Did the same thing with the girl, she refused. So, they 'tended to believe' my stepson. Principal points out (as always), how my stepson 'brings these things upon himself':xmad:!!!
    FIT TO KILL, we pulled him out of school right there. I sometimes fear he still needs some couch time as to why kids jack with fat kids with zits, but he's older now and has moved on.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was just pointing out that it is flawed and my thoughts on why they do it. Like I said I wasn't arguing the point with you but as someone who has suffered and run through the dredges because of it I think it is a seriously flawed system.
    Ok, I must've mis-read your post.

I completely agree with you that it's a flawed system.

I was just trying to say lets not blame somebody for the flawed system until we know who created the system. It wouldn't really be fair to blame somebody that is simply just carrying out policy in order to maintain their job. At least, if I were in that position I wouldn't want to be blamed for actually doing the job laid out before me.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^ Yep, clearly Twiggy's mom saying Twiggy deserved it and should apologize to Casey. As long as she maintained that attitude with her son at home in using it as a learning opportunity, kudos to her.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I posted something about bullying on my Facebook page today. What most people, outside Martinsville do not know, is that a jr high girl committed suicide the day before last and the primary cause was that she was bullied BY GIRLS at school--both mentally and physically.

A very good friend of mine has a daughter who is/was friends with this beautiful child. She is a victim of the same bullies. My friend claims to have confronted the school board and the principal and the gist of the response from the teachers is, "we don't make enough money to deal with bullying." That's the way it has been told to me anyway. WHAT???

I know, teachers have their hands tied--can't do anything cause parents of the bullies come down on them for reprimanding these problem children--blah, blah, blah. "Mr/Ms Teacher", you knew the water was both deep and dirty when you put on your swimsuit. DEAL WITH IT or find another profession.

I too was a victim of bullying in both grade school and high school. Being a scrawny band kid, I had to take the seat closest to the door of the classroom and literally had to run from one class to the other to keep from being sucker punched by some cro-magnon knuckle-dragging jock while his girlfriend stood there and laughed.

While God has very specific instructions in Romans, chapter 12 about overcoming evil with good and reserving wrath for Him; It is so difficult as an adult (who is now MUCH larger than the bullies I used to deal with) to accept the stupidity of those who are trusted with the safety and care of the youth and paid for by our tax dollars. I tell people that "meek doesn't mean weak" and "when Jesus saved me, he took away my sin, not my spine." End of sermon... Am I wrong here???

Now, there will be a funeral for a poor, beautiful, young girl in Martinsville because some idiot teacher/principal decided that they didn't make enough money to exercise any authority and some stupid parents won't accept responsiblilty over their hoodlum kid. ARGGGGGG!!! :xmad::xmad::xmad:

+11111 to Casey, you go dude! Cocky "twig boy" deserves what he got.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I posted something about bullying on my Facebook page today. What most people, outside Martinsville do not know, is that a jr high girl committed suicide the day before last and the primary cause was that she was bullied BY GIRLS at school--both mentally and physically.

A very good friend of mine has a daughter who is/was friends with this beautiful child. She is a victim of the same bullies. My friend claims to have confronted the school board and the principal and the gist of the response from the teachers is, "we don't make enough money to deal with bullying." That's the way it has been told to me anyway. WHAT???

I know, teachers have their hands tied--can't do anything cause parents of the bullies come down on them for reprimanding these problem children--blah, blah, blah. "Mr/Ms Teacher", you knew the water was both deep and dirty when you put on your swimsuit. DEAL WITH IT or find another profession.

I too was a victim of bullying in both grade school and high school. Being a scrawny band kid, I had to take the seat closest to the door of the classroom and literally had to run from one class to the other to keep from being sucker punched by some cro-magnon knuckle-dragging jock while his girlfriend stood there and laughed.

While God has very specific instructions in Romans, chapter 12 about overcoming evil with good and reserving wrath for Him; It is so difficult as an adult (who is now MUCH larger than the bullies I used to deal with) to accept the stupidity of those who are trusted with the safety and care of the youth and paid for by our tax dollars. I tell people that "meek doesn't mean weak" and "when Jesus saved me, he took away my sin, not my spine." End of sermon... Am I wrong here???

Now, there will be a funeral for a poor, beautiful, young girl in Martinsville because some idiot teacher/principal decided that they didn't make enough money to exercise any authority and some stupid parents won't accept responsiblilty over their hoodlum kid. ARGGGGGG!!! :xmad::xmad::xmad:

+11111 to Casey, you go dude! Cocky "twig boy" deserves what he got.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it!

sorry, but people who commit suicide have more issues than just being bullied. This whole bullying rally thats going on is just another colored ribbon for people who feel entitled to wear, so they can feel like they are changing the world but at the same time make sure their own faces get on the cover of a magazine.

its the old "politician kissing babies" routine to me.

As a parent, I will make sure I handle bullying. I will teach my child to FIGHT back, and if that doesnt work then daddy will go kick the bullies parents ass if they refuse to control their neanderthal of a child. I dont need teachers or the president to put a fake rubber stamp on real life issues that have been going on since the beginning of time.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    While I'll agree that the bully deserved something, a 16 year old beating down a 7th grade bully (makes him what, 12?) isn't something that deserves a you go dude. About kids committing suicide over bullies, sadly most schools aren't educated in suicide prevention because of the impact that the topic has on parents and administrators. It isn't always about lack of pay, many times the teachers aren't equipped with the knowledge to handle the issue and that is the parents and administrators fault.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    sorry, but people who commit suicide have more issues than just being bullied. This whole bullying rally thats going on is just another colored ribbon for people who feel entitled to wear, so they can feel like they are changing the world but at the same time make sure their own faces get on the cover of a magazine.

its the old "politician kissing babies" routine to me.

As a parent, I will make sure I handle bullying. I will teach my child to FIGHT back, and if that doesnt work then daddy will go kick the bullies parents ass if they refuse to control their neanderthal of a child. I dont need teachers or the president to put a fake rubber stamp on real life issues that have been going on since the beginning of time.

If you read the quote carefully, you would have seen the words "primary cause" in the first paragraph. Please note that not all children will fight back. When I was young, violence of any kind made me ill. I would rather take the blow than propogate the violence. As that relates to your kid, that's strictly up to your kid and will have nothing to do with the way you raise him/her. My father didn't have a clue that I was getting beat up almost daily cause the culture is not to "rat out" the other kids or it would be worse.

Also, if you carefully read what I said about my friend confronting the school board, principal & I believe teachers, their response was along the lines of not making enough money. I'm fairly convinced that that sentiment is probably more universal than we know.

Children in this world have enough to concern themselves with and bullying should not be tolerated and it has been for way too long. It's not a Right or Left issue. It's a societial issue.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you read the quote carefully, you would have seen the words "primary cause" in the first paragraph. Please note that not all children will fight back. When I was young, violence of any kind made me ill. I would rather take the blow than propogate the violence. As that relates to your kid, that's strictly up to your kid and will have nothing to do with the way you raise him/her. My father didn't have a clue that I was getting beat up almost daily cause the culture is not to "rat out" the other kids or it would be worse.

Also, if you carefully read what I said about my friend confronting the school board, principal & I believe teachers, their response was along the lines of not making enough money. I'm fairly convinced that that sentiment is probably more universal than we know.

Children in this world have enough to concern themselves with and bullying should not be tolerated and it has been for way too long. It's not a Right or Left issue. It's a societial issue.

If that is truly universal, most of those people need to get out of teaching. I can understand the people saying that they don't know how to deal with it, because it isn't taught properly. I can understand when it comes to suicide stemming from bullying and the teachers and administrators not knowing how to deal with it, because classes focusing on suicide are only taught in a few programs across the country. If the people involved in teaching the children honestly feel that it isn't their job because they don't make enough, leave and go to Walmart. Teaching isn't a job that should be chased as a dream because the person wants money. Teaching should be chased as a career because the person wants to HELP society.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Has bullying increased or just the reporting of bullying? Has the definition of bullying expanded to include almost anything remotely confrontational? I don't remember it being this bad when I was in school (30 years ago).

H.S. had a pecking order and you learned to live with it. If you wanted to move up, do something! Join a sports team, club, etc.

Top Bottom