• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So you are saying you didn't pull any building permits, or complete any inspections?

I built a 4400sf house and 4000sf pole barn. I got permits but to my knowledge, other than the septic inspector, no other inspector ever set foot on my property. I wired the entire house, barn, and from the meter base to each. The only electrical inspection I got was the head REMC linesman looking at my meter base and 1 of 4 electrical panels.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    no permits or inspections.....

This amazes me, every county i've ever lived in required permits and inspections.

I built a 4400sf house and 4000sf pole barn. I got permits but to my knowledge, other than the septic inspector, no other inspector ever set foot on my property. I wired the entire house, barn, and from the meter base to each. The only electrical inspection I got was the head REMC linesman looking at my meter base and 1 of 4 electrical panels.

In the county I live, and in the county I will soon be build in the required inspections are as follows:
    Footing, foundation, meter tag, structural rough-in, insulation, plumbing rough-in, electrical rough-in, final inspection, and the Certificate of Occupancy for any livable dwelling (meaning anything with at least 1br, 1br, and kitchen)

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    this house would pass any inspections in the state......

I wasn't trying to imply anything, I am just shocked that Greene County doesn't require any building permits or inspections. I honestly thought that was a state requirement to have permits and inspections to ensure compliance with building codes.
    I do think the number of required permits and inspections are ridiculous... I just had to pay $50 for a permit, and submit a plan for a driveway... a gravel driveway on my property on a county road, outside of any town. It gets worse when you start considering the cost of other permits. When I build my barn this summer, that permit will cost me $300-$400 :(

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I wasn't trying to imply anything, I am just shocked that Greene County doesn't require any building permits or inspections. I honestly thought that was a state requirement to have permits and inspections to ensure compliance with building codes.
    I do think the number of required permits and inspections are ridiculous... I just had to pay $50 for a permit, and submit a plan for a driveway... a gravel driveway on my property on a county road, outside of any town. It gets worse when you start considering the cost of other permits. When I build my barn this summer, that permit will cost me $300-$400 :(

i didn't mean it like that.....yes in Monroe county you have to jump threw all kinds of hoops and pay threw the nose......my sister had to beg the commissioners to build a garage 40ft from the property line.....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not all counties have plan commissions established so some still do not have inspections. State codes should still be followed, but with no inspections it is really a buyer beware situation for anyone moving into those areas. Our county did not have building inspections when we built here and we had no idea that there were counties that did not have them until we called for our footing inspection and got laughed at.

We have inspections now and it has improved the quality of the homes being built. There are some pole building homes here and many of the older ones do not meet state code due to not having footings/foundations like a house is required to have among other things. Some don't have required number of window openings, doors, etc.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    In the State of Indiana, an individual constructing a home for his own occupancy is not required to be permitted or meet 675 IAC 12

Per Indiana Code, Title 36, Article 7, Chapter 8, Section 3, Sub-section d:
    Indiana Code 36-7-8

See also: Robinson v. Monroe County, Ct. App (1996)
    Robinson v. Monroe County :: 1995 :: Indiana Court of Appeals Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: US Case Law :: US Law :: Justia
    ROBINSON v. MONROE COUNTY | Leagle.com

It may still be best practice to build to code, but it is not required by the State if you build your own home for your own occupancy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    In the State of Indiana, an individual constructing a home for his own occupancy is not required to be permitted or meet 675 IAC 12

Per Indiana Code, Title 36, Article 7, Chapter 8, Section 3, Sub-section d:
    Indiana Code 36-7-8

See also: Robinson v. Monroe County, Ct. App (1996)
    Robinson v. Monroe County :: 1995 :: Indiana Court of Appeals Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: US Case Law :: US Law :: Justia
    ROBINSON v. MONROE COUNTY | Leagle.com

It may still be best practice to build to code, but it is not required by the State if you build your own home for your own occupancy.

I would say that before you rely on the 36-7-8 rule and the case sited above, you would need to consult with an attorney. Relying on that particular rule could end up costing you a lot of money for legal fees, fines, etc. and still end up with problems.

If you county requires permits, you will need to get one. Most counties (maybe all?) allow the homeowner to build their own home and sign a form stating they are doing the work themselves. Inspections would still be required to insure that the home meets code to protect the owner, as well as anyone who might buy the home later on down the road.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I would say that before you rely on the 36-7-8 rule and the case sited above, you would need to consult with an attorney. Relying on that particular rule could end up costing you a lot of money for legal fees, fines, etc. and still end up with problems.

If you county requires permits, you will need to get one. Most counties (maybe all?) allow the homeowner to build their own home and sign a form stating they are doing the work themselves. Inspections would still be required to insure that the home meets code to protect the owner, as well as anyone who might buy the home later on down the road.

That's not a rule, that's a State statute that's also now been well-established by caselaw and there are not - to my knowledge - any cases which supercede or overturn it. No, one does not need to get a permit from the county in which they reside in order to personally construct their own home for their own occupancy, that's the point of IC 36-7-8-3(d). No, one does not need to submit to inspections, that's also the entire point of IC 36-7-8-3(d). Selling later could become quite the problem, if one were going to later sell, and that's the point at which I would spend the money on an attorney, to find out how to do so without invoking the wrath of the State.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Headless is correct. That is the Log Cabin rule. We had a customer who it was going to cost him $45,000 to build a $15,000 pole barn in Hendricks County. He negated the Health Department septic inspection process by going log cabin and building it himself......

We have built a few homes over the years. I will build it for a % of finished cost, 7-10% depending on size of structure. I will oversee entire project, collect bids and discuss with homeowner our past experience, pros and cons with different sub-contractors, help you choose materials, etc. You can basically make your own decisions and know you have an experienced builder running the subs. If you think you may be interested you can email me at Randy@chcroofing.com

I work mainly in Hendricks & Putnam County.

Randy

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Headless is correct. That is the Log Cabin rule. We had a customer who it was going to cost him $45,000 to build a $15,000 pole barn in Hendricks County. He negated the Health Department septic inspection process by going log cabin and building it himself......

We have built a few homes over the years. I will build it for a % of finished cost, 7-10% depending on size of structure. I will oversee entire project, collect bids and discuss with homeowner our past experience, pros and cons with different sub-contractors, help you choose materials, etc. You can basically make your own decisions and know you have an experienced builder running the subs. If you think you may be interested you can email me at Randy@chcroofing.com

I work mainly in Hendricks & Putnam County.

Randy

I'm rather familiar with the "log cabin rule" and while it may be legal, that does not mean it works well for the majority. I know it is a state statute, but counties can implement their own rules and ordinances that can be more strict than what the state requires. The state code is the minimum, but county rules can require more and need to be checked so that people do not end up in legal trouble over advice given that may not apply to them. Building a pole barn is quite a bit different than building a home.

The other aspect to consider when deciding to use the "log cabin rule" to build your home and not get permits or inspections (other than potential legal consequences that could get expensive even if you are able to prove you are right at some point) is whether or not you are going to be able to obtain home insurance. Insurance companies are pretty picky these days.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I agree it may not work for the majority, but he is still correct about it being a state statute. I would never recommend someone build a home in this manner, although I do know a guy who has a beautiful home inside his 14,000 Sq foot pole barn.

I live in one of the strictest counties in the state when getting permits, they get no worse than Hendricks County, well maybe Hamilton, but anyway. We have engineers, county inspectors, town inspectors, health department....you may spend $1000 in fees to build a pole barn, and that's if you know where the septic is. A lot of older homes don't have proper septic...they will try to make you put in a new septic to build a garage. Its just a way for them to make money. A good amount of time the inspectors are useless anyway...and have to be corrected. They try to learn by reading books, what we have spent a lifetime learning by doing.

I know of a few people who have used the log cabin provisions....and honestly, I know of not a sole who had problems (other than a guy who built his garage without permits on his finger system). The hardest thing is getting our courthouse to work with you, they don't like to acknowledge the log cabin provision. We have a local real estate attorney who assists folks with getting them.

Top Bottom