• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    anyone ever built their own gun storage box or cabinet? if so, have any pics or ideas to share...been thinking about it for a while now

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I used a electrical cabinet from the factory my brother works in. I made a couple of shelves for ammo and parts, It holds about 15 rifles/shotguns.
    I think theres some pics of it in my photo album here on INGO

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    This is a great idea. If the house I lived in was mine I'd do this in a heartbeat, but alas my landlord would probably not be happy if I did this.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I built this a few years ago after looking at some in the different stores. It's not exactly burglar proof, but it keeps the dust and humidity out. All together I put about $100 in materials including 1/2" and 3/4" plywood, lexan sheet, and hardware (found the locks at menards with 3 digit key codes on the labels so all the locks have matching keys.)

One of my first woodworking projects, and if I were to do it over again, I wouldn't skimp on the wood (I bought absolutely cheapest I could find for everything.) It's held up well, and way heavier than I'd like...so I would have also built it in 2 pieces that bolt together if I'd known how much of a pain it would be to move. Also, the "glass etching" is not so much...they're static clings that I found at the covered bridge festival the following year.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to elaborate. I found a pic online of one I liked, and simply duplicated it with my own measurements.

guncabinet1.jpg

guncabinet3.jpg

4yearslater.jpg

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I saw one built in to a closet in a house the wife and I were considering buying. Looked pretty ordinary, painted like the surrounding walls and trim, except door and frame were all thick metal and had a small but sturdy dial type lock and safe handle in place of a door knob.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Thanks for the positive responses guys. At the time, Kmart had a similar cabinet for sale, so I sorta copied the design. I was so excited to build it, and in such a hurry...the shelves aren't tall enough to actually store books, hahaha. But they work nice for storing random stuff, so it wasn't a total loss.

All said and done, I used: a table saw, miter saw, cordless screwdriver, and a hammer. Lots of patience for sure, but believe me when I tell ya'll this was one of my first projects and I still am by no means an "experienced" woodworker.

The biggest hurdle is getting up the nerve to try it!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I built a false wall cabinet into a closet when I was a teenager; you'd never know it was there unless you took some measurements. Funny, an AR fit in it nicely.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    anyone ever built their own gun storage box or cabinet? if so, have any pics or ideas to share...been thinking about it for a while now

Hey Fats,
    I'm basically in the same boat. What it comes down to for me is a matter of time and materials to build one vs what is already made available on the market. Some of the questions i would have would be- dimensions-would it need to fit into a particular space? fireproof? moisture/waterproof? Could it be used for anything other than guns if i or someone else wanted to? Would you want it to be hidden so that it appeared that no guns are in your house?:patriot:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    IIRC someone here built a cabinet that held guns but looked like a piece of furniture. The guns laid in it horizontally. Unless you knew it held guns you wouldn't give it a second thought. Not fire or water proof, but was a good hiding place.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    IIRC someone here built a cabinet that held guns but looked like a piece of furniture. The guns laid in it horizontally. Unless you knew it held guns you wouldn't give it a second thought. Not fire or water proof, but was a good hiding place.

I remember that, It looked like a dresser. And it was pretty.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I was wanting to build in 2 handgun safes into the wall by the bed, so the wife and I would both have one, want it to look like shelves with picture frames on it.. have the fingerprint lock. what you guys think

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Thanks for the positive responses guys. At the time, Kmart had a similar cabinet for sale, so I sorta copied the design. I was so excited to build it, and in such a hurry...the shelves aren't tall enough to actually store books, hahaha. But they work nice for storing random stuff, so it wasn't a total loss.

All said and done, I used: a table saw, miter saw, cordless screwdriver, and a hammer. Lots of patience for sure, but believe me when I tell ya'll this was one of my first projects and I still am by no means an "experienced" woodworker.

The biggest hurdle is getting up the nerve to try it!

Is that an old Kaw KZ 750 there? I sold one that looked similar to that here in central Indiana.

Top Bottom