• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newpaper Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Scottsburg IN
    I am starting the hunt for my first AR build or buy. I am just looking for some advice I have owned an ak and an a sks but have always wanted an AR while at the range with a friend ( An AR Owner) we compared the two and I found multiple tactical short comings of my sks. I have spent a bunch on all the tactical stocks, red dot sights and ECT. But it was never an AR so time to build my own rifle or buy one already built. I'm a hobbyist gunsmith every firearm I've owned has not worked properly when purchased. So I do like to fix things. So building has its own rewards. On the other hand I have no experience with ARs so I'm nervous about spending $600+ on something that will not work. I have looked and looked for the right style and I want it short (16") I want the rails for sight and lights and such. So flattop is the way to go. I have a $700 ceiling for my budget. ( per the wife) So which way should I go ( A. Car 16" kit $500 and Stripped Lower $129) or (B. New or Used rifle already in working order? $???) Please help a newbie out

Thanks in advance for the help
    Scott
    Scottsburg

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Well I'm building one as soon as my parts come in.So far this is what I have in it price wise
    PSA 16in Midlength CMV Upper. $314 to the door
    RRA Lower. $120
    PSA LPK w Magpul grip,trigger guard. $ 50
    PSA Milspec Buffer/ Stock. $ 40
    PSA Milspec Charging handle/Bolt $145
    Magpul MBUS rear sight. $ 50

So right now I'm in for a full build for around $720 bucks...

Last edited:

Newpaper Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Scottsburg IN
    I too want to know the inner workings so I can make my own repairs. But its a big gamble one I really can't afford to take.

That is why a beg your wise advice.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    It's easy enough to build from the how-to on AR15.com and dollar for dollar you can typically build a better rifle than you can buy. Built a couple for myself and have helped build 6 now. Imy vote is for the build.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    If you build your first you will get hands on time with everything as you put it together and things like swapping triggers,etc won't seem as daunting for you..It is quit simple to build one if you just take your time.Nothing wrong with even asking INGOERS for help if they live close by to supervise you as you put her together.
    Get the upper and lower that floats your boat,complete lower parts kit and castlenut wrench.If the LPK seems daunting just search Youtube for lower building instructions and follow them step by step.

Newpaper Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Scottsburg IN
    What about the barrel twist rate?????? I'm totally confused about this. I see 1:7,1:8 and 1:9 which is best for 5.56 and .223? I want it to be as close to a tack driver at 100yds at least. I noticed ammo is in the kinda light.

Last edited:

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    What about the barrel twist rate?????? I'm totally confused about this.

1 in 9 Will stabilize lower weight bullets like a 40grain varmint round and should do just fine firing up to 69 grain rounds

1 in 7 Can over stabilize a lightweight varmint round and the force of the faster spin can cause the lightweight jacket to seperate.It will also stabilize the heavier bullet weights such a s a 75 or 77 grain round better then a 1 in 9 would.

If your shooting the basic 55 grain - 69 grain ammo you probably won't notice much if any difference between the 2 twist rates...YMMV

I'm sure someone will be along to explain this a lot better then me

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I think it should be the other way around, build the first so you know more about the function of the gun for trouble shooting. Then build or buy doesn't matter.

I'm defintally in the.minority on this

I bought my first one and it was a build someone else did. I bought it because it was too good of a deal to pass up. When I went to change somethings up, I noticed bent springs, missing detents, and a few other really minor things. It worked fine but it annoyed me. I built my 2nd and will be building a 3rd. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another built AR, doesn't matter if it was a custom build or a factory build. If someone wants to get a complete upper and build the lower and they're competent with hand tools, why not build the 1st? I agree that if someone feels comfortable building, they should. Building an upper? If you've got the tools or access to them and feel comfortable, I say go for it.

Fully agree that it helps if you need to troubleshoot as you've got an idea what parts are actually in it and how it goes together.

OP, if you've worked on other guns and got them running there really isn't much of a gamble in building especially if you're just building the lower and popping on a completed upper. My first lower went together in under an hour because I was messing around while doing it. As long as you don't lose a spring or detent, it goes together fairly easily. There are plenty of build guides out there. I used the AR15.com step by step sheet and had a Youtube video ready to go but I didn't need it.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Build your own...with what you want on it instead of buying one then having to add (Costs $$) or subtract (money spent wasted). Here is my DPMS SS Fluted 16" Bull Barrel i built in 2004/5. Its all DPMS except for the RRA upper receiver. The guy holding the rifle is a model. ;)

MyAR15.jpg

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    For both of mine I bought a complete upper and built the lower. Building the lower is fun and not that hard. All you need is a punch, pair of pliers and a hammer. The arfcom guide is one of the better I've come across: :: Guides

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Build or buy?

That question comes up all the time. Most guys jump in and say BUILD, it's easy, you save money, you get what you want, you learn the workings of the rifle, ect.

I cringe many times reading these posts. Not knocking on anyone, this is just a general observation. Not just this forum, but every forum I go to, mine included.

Many people set a "budget" of say $700. Then begin by buying "cheap" parts, so that they can end up with a "tricked out" rifle. You've seen them.

If you have a budget of $700 tops, BUY a S&W Sport. Skip all the extra stuff you don't need to start with. Buy PMags and ammo. Go shoot the snot out of that Sport.

Then save up and add all the goodies you want.

:twocents:

Product: Model M&P15 Sport™

Newpaper Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Scottsburg IN
    My $700 budget is just my rifle in shooting form. I can do the fore grips and laser sights as add on in the future. I understand that a new rifle is close to $900 so $700 would be a cheap build.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    After lots of reading and talking to people I decided to build my first AR. Well, I built the lower and bought a complete upper. The satisfaction from assembling a pile of parts I had sitting in the safe was great. The satisfaction when the gun made the first "bang" at the range was priceless. Then when it went bang 149 more times without a single failure, I had a smile the entire drive home, the rest of the day and the whole day the next day.

Although I am mechanically inclined, I had never done anything like the build. It was a first for me and I am really glad I did it. Now when it comes time for upgrades or troubleshooting ill be ready and not intimidated in the least. I figure I saved ~$100 over a factory built rifle, but what I learned about the gun made it way more than that in my eyes.

I watched this 2 part YouTube video on how to install a lower parts kit and then did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I then printed this set of instructions out, followed them and had a perfectly functioning rifle.

:: Guides

Tools I used included:

Masking tape
    Small hammer
    Needle nose pliers
    Punch set - just a regular old punch set
    Block of wood
    Extra set of hands a couple times to help hold the lower in place.

So basically, if you are mechanically inclined and think you want to build, give it a whirl. It's not difficult. You have a resource of a ton of people willing to help and/or lend a hand or answer questions on here. Decide what you want, don't compromise, and wait for sales and you will have your rifle the way you want it and for close to your budget. Palmetto state armory and joeboboutfitters.com are both excellent sources for quality stuff at great prices.

That's just my 2 pennies.

Newpaper Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Scottsburg IN
    If I go with the Build it route I would like to build from a kit. I have seen kits in the $450-$500 range. Is there a company out there that I should look to for a full kit (-stripped lower and mags) ??? Or any I should stay away from???

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Conventional wisdom says buy the first, build the rest.

This was my initial response, but now that I think about it, I think we're dating ourselves. I always thought the buy was the means to familiarize oneself with the firearm before attempting to jack with parts. Kinda like having a puzzle to put together: buying it gave you the picture on the box that the puzzle would show when it was completed. These days you can find that picture through the multitude of online guides, videos, and forums archives without needing one right in front of you.

I still lean towards the "buy first, build after" recommendation (old habits die hard?), but I don't think it's as critical as it once was.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I too want to know the inner workings so I can make my own repairs. But its a big gamble one I really can't afford to take.

That is why a beg your wise advice.

You will need some spec. tooling for this kind of work. You will need some basic AR knowledge for this kind of work.

Buy a decent, running and reliable AR and get the tools and knowledge as you become acquainted with this platform. If you are familiar with the workings they are not all that hard to deal with. JMHO

Top Bottom