• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You will need some spec. tooling for this kind of work. You will need some basic AR knowledge for this kind of work.

Buy a decent, running and reliable AR and get the tools and knowledge as you become acquainted with this platform. If you are familiar with the workings they are not all that hard to deal with. JMHO
    I disagree....its not rocket science. There really isnt much to an AR15. Special tools would include a barrel wrench, receiver block for the vise(if you feel you need it) and roll pin punches(nothing like a standard punch). There is so much free info on youtube alone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I disagree....its not rocket science. There really isnt much to an AR15. Special tools would include a barrel wrench, receiver block for the vise(if you feel you need it) and roll pin punches(nothing like a standard punch). There is so much free info on youtube alone.

I have all those tools and more. They are still tools. No, it is not rocket science as even a dummy such as myself can do all the work having built a few. There are numerous folks out there with all the knowledge and willing to share.
    If you want to jump right in, have at it.

Enjoy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Build or buy?

That question comes up all the time. Most guys jump in and say BUILD, it's easy, you save money, you get what you want, you learn the workings of the rifle, ect.

I cringe many times reading these posts. Not knocking on anyone, this is just a general observation. Not just this forum, but every forum I go to, mine included.

Many people set a "budget" of say $700. Then begin by buying "cheap" parts, so that they can end up with a "tricked out" rifle. You've seen them.

If you have a budget of $700 tops, BUY a S&W Sport. Skip all the extra stuff you don't need to start with. Buy PMags and ammo. Go shoot the snot out of that Sport.

Then save up and add all the goodies you want.

:twocents:

Product: Model M&P15 Sport™

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YUP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What I said. Save every nickel and put together something that is not up to an out of the box S&W sport. Really. You do get what you pay for.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm about to complete my first upper build from parts (not a kit). My recommendation would be watch the videos & read the guides a couple of times before you get started. I consider myself above average capable in mfg/fab but I didn't do my homework and hit a couple of snags along the way.. No, not rocket science but not Mr. Potato Head either...

DSCN2591.jpg

Newpaper Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Scottsburg IN
    Well everyone has been very helpful I think you've help me decide. I will either build one or buy one from the classifieds as soon as my post count is where it needs to be.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Meet me somewhere in between Scottsburg and Terre Haute (Another members house maybe?) and i will bring my ar15 "specialized" tools and I will sit and watch and even offer praise while you turn your parts kit into a fully functional AR15. (Ill stop you before you make a mistake) We shall make youtube videos of the thing going bang for all the naysayers. :rockwoot: It truly is THAT easy!

henschman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I think the best way to go for someone in the OP's position is to get a stripped lower and put it together with a lower parts kit, and then buy a complete upper to pin on it. This will save you money over buying a complete rifle. Also, it requires minimal tools that most people have already (except for the stock wrench, which is only $25 or so). I wouldn't even call this "building" an AR... to me, building an AR is putting one together entirely from parts, with a stripped upper and all. That might be a bit more than an AR noob would want to get into, and probably wouldn't save you much if any, due to the added cost of tools that you probably don't have.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I looked real hard at this question last year, and it looks like the manufacturers are gaming on builders rather than buyers; It costs more in parts to build an AR than it does to buy it--and you get a warranty when you buy it whole. And its not like parts have better availability than the finished rifles. I looked at stripped lowers plus complete parts kits, stripped uppers, whatever. It didnt look like I'd save money either way. Ultimately I went the stripped lower, with LPK and a full upper route because I wanted the NM trigger group that wasn't really an option any other way.

The question then becomes one of customization. If you want a relatively vanilla, or something you can buy off the shelf, then buying it off the shelf makes better sense. Some manufacturers offer better customization options than others. Model1sales.com (for example) offers many options for guns, uppers, uppers less BCG, etc and have decent prices. Other manufacturers not so much. I am under the impression, however, that ALL manufacturers are backlogged, so it will be a couple months until you get it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I bought my first AR, but sold it within a year to build one the way I wanted it.

That said when I built my first AR from parts, upper included, I was still learning as i went. Having and shooting an AR does little to teach you how to drive in the roll pins or torque and line up the gas tube passage on the barrel. Building one is the best way to learn along with a lot of reading. I made fewer mistakes on the second build than the first. I still own my first build and it still shoots great. I am currently waiting on a BCG on backorder for the second as everyone seems to be out.

If you can find someone with a little experience to walk you through it the first time it will go smoother. You will want all the tools needed to build one if you own one as changing configurations is almost inevitable! Or maybe thats just me. :D

Disclaimer: A little mechanical aptitude will go a long way in building your AR.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    While trying to get a friend into the AR game, I consulted with a very wise ingoer, who suggested to me that the answer lies in the individual's motivations. Are you interested in the process, or just the end result?

If you build, and buy a piece here and there, it's a lot more difficult for your wife to keep track of how much you've spent.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I looked real hard at this question last year, and it looks like the manufacturers are gaming on builders rather than buyers; It costs more in parts to build an AR than it does to buy it--and you get a warranty when you buy it whole. And its not like parts have better availability than the finished rifles. I looked at stripped lowers plus complete parts kits, stripped uppers, whatever. It didnt look like I'd save money either way. Ultimately I went the stripped lower, with LPK and a full upper route because I wanted the NM trigger group that wasn't really an option any other way.

The question then becomes one of customization. If you want a relatively vanilla, or something you can buy off the shelf, then buying it off the shelf makes better sense. Some manufacturers offer better customization options than others. Model1sales.com (for example) offers many options for guns, uppers, uppers less BCG, etc and have decent prices. Other manufacturers not so much. I am under the impression, however, that ALL manufacturers are backlogged, so it will be a couple months until you get it.

A couple of years ago, I would have disagreed with you. But the price of factory built rifles has really dropped. With options like the Colt 6920, Sig M400, S&W M&P, etc.... hanging in below $1000, I really don't see much advantage to building one. That said, I still tend to build them because I accumulate parts over time, and end up turning them into complete firearms. Thus was the case for my most recent RRA 9MM SBR. The main reason I would give building a slight advantage is if you are the type that likes the latest and greatest gear. I hand selected every part of my Spikes 10.5" SBR, and it turned out much better than what I could have found on a stores shelf.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    A couple of years ago, I would have disagreed with you. But the price of factory built rifles has really dropped. With options like the Colt 6920, Sig M400, S&W M&P, etc.... hanging in below $1000, I really don't see much advantage to building one. That said, I still tend to build them because I accumulate parts over time, and end up turning them into complete firearms. Thus was the case for my most recent RRA 9MM SBR. The main reason I would give building a slight advantage is if you are the type that likes the latest and greatest gear. I hand selected every part of my Spikes 10.5" SBR, and it turned out much better than what I could have found on a stores shelf.
    Uhh well you can build your own (depending on options and configuration) for well less than 7-800. I would say a 2-300 savings is still a decent advantage that can be spent on ammo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I just built up my lower and put the rifle together today sitting at my desk in my home office while my wife sat behind me at her desk playing Solitaire.

Easy, peasy to build. I learned a lot and am very familiar with the gun because of this.

I do have a question I would appreciate some feedback on.

Should I take some 0000 steel wool and lightly "polish" the inside of the upper, the charging handle, and whatever else? Or just lube it and shoot it and let that smooth things out? I am running a NiB BCG.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

I just built up my lower and put the rifle together today sitting at my desk in my home office while my wife sat behind me at her desk playing Solitaire.

Easy, peasy to build. I learned a lot and am very familiar with the gun because of this.

Should I take some 0000 steel wool and lightly "polish" the inside of the upper, the charging handle, and whatever else? Or just lube it and shoot it and let that smooth things out? I am running a NiB BCG.
    Dont polish anything. Lube and shoot. It will burnish itself in.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

That's a good point on building an AR, it gets you in touch with all the little parts and you know how it all works! :yesway:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks Reman and Fordtough! All I need is some magazines and it's ready to test! No optics yet, but it has iron sights.

Top Bottom