• would you say im ......

• Total voters

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    With the family in Pigeon Forge TN and decided to stop in B-dub's for some lunch. Entrance door had a small decal (at very bottom) that said all guns banned. Guess its a good thing I'm cc'ing. :laugh: :laugh:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    At a glance, seems like such a sign carries weight of law in Tennessee. If that's correct, you just confessed to a Class B misdemeanor, the way I read it in 20 seconds.

ETA: At a little longer glance, seems like there are requirements for the sign, maybe it didn't meet those?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Its not state law so all they can do is ask you to leave

Actually, in TN there are a couple of interesting twists. First, signs that confirm to state law ARE enforceable. Carrying in a posted location is against the law. Second, you can't carry in a bar. Third, you CAN carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (like BW3), but you cannot drink.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Tennessee Code: 39-17-1359

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shallbe considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) orboth of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including allentrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portionof the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:
    (i) The internationalcircle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or
    (ii) The posting signdescribed in this subdivision (b)(3). see below for b 3
    (c) (1) It is an offense topossess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted inaccordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of thissection is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundreddollars ($500).

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method ofposting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:
    AS AUTHORIZED BYT.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTEDBUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
    (B) As used in thissection, "language substantially similar to" means the sign containslanguage plainly stating that:
    (i) The property isposted under authority of Tennessee law;
    (ii) Weapons orfirearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion ofthe property or building that is posted; and
    (iii) Possessing aweapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Don't go anywhere your sidearm is not welcome. Do not give these people your money. If you were Jewish, and the sign said , "No Jews Allowed," would you conceal the fact that you are Jewish, or be so deeply offended by their policy, that you talk to a manager, and leave, and never return?

I consider my firearm as an extension of myself. If it is not welcome, then neither am I. I do not, will not, conceal, but it would be against every moral I hold dear to do so so that I can enter an anti gun establishment.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Don't go anywhere your sidearm is not welcome. Do not give these people your money. If you were Jewish, and the sign said , "No Jews Allowed," would you conceal the fact that you are Jewish, or be so deeply offended by their policy, that you talk to a manager, and leave, and never return?

I consider my firearm as an extension of myself. If it is not welcome, then neither am I. I do not, will not, conceal, but it would be against every moral I hold dear to do so so that I can enter an anti gun establishment.

I like your comparison. Gun bans are really oppressing/discriminating against people who want to be able to defend themselves plain and simple. To me, it is similar to racial oppression, or any other kind of oppression.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I like your comparison. Gun bans are really oppressing/discriminating against people who want to be able to defend themselves plain and simple. To me, it is similar to racial oppression, or any other kind of oppression.

Exactly. I saw a gun buster sign the other day, and I was about to go in and give them a piece of my mind, but, I went the other way. Some other time. I am planning on going to a bunch of "No Guns" businesses with some friends, and challenging the signage. May not make any progress, but we can sure try.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    .....Entrance door had a small decal (at very bottom) that said all guns banned......

Tennessee Code: 39-17-1359

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shallbe considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) orboth of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:
    (i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or
    (ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3). see below for b 3
    (c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:
    AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
    (B) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:
    (i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;
    (ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion ofthe property or building that is posted; and
    (iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

I doubt that I would have seen this sign. So much for properly notifying the public.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The display is required to be prominent. I believe that was all the context it required.

That's not what the Tennessee code you posted says, technically. It says it must be posted in a prominent LOCATION. The front door most certainly is.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Why do so many people believe it is okay to do this? Eventually, every business will have these signs, and we will have no options. You CCers that just go and not worry about it sicken me.

It is discriminatory and wrong. No better than a "No Blacks" sign. You cannot patronize a company that wishes you defenseless, and to strip your rights away.

Why is this okay with you people? There is a fight to be fought, and you don't care care. Our day is now, yours will come. What are you going to do when they put in metal detectors, or body scanners? I can't even think straight, this pisses me off.

You people that aren't worried about this are in the same pool as the RINOs. You are GOINOs. You don't care that a corporation doesn't give a **** about your rights. You laugh it off. Well what about when it gets to the point where you can't anymore? What then? It is disgusting. You are of no benefit to armed society.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Why do so many people believe it is okay to do this? Eventually, every business will have these signs, and we will have no options. You CCers that just go and not worry about it sicken me.

It is discriminatory and wrong. No better than a "No Blacks" sign. You cannot patronize a company that wishes you defenseless, and to strip your rights away.

Why is this okay with you people? There is a fight to be fought, and you don't care care. Our day is now, yours will come. What are you going to do when they put in metal detectors, or body scanners? I can't even think straight, this pisses me off.

You people that aren't worried about this are in the same pool as the RINOs. You are GOINOs. You don't care that a corporation doesn't give a **** about your rights. You laugh it off. Well what about when it gets to the point where you can't anymore? What then? It is disgusting. You are of no benefit to armed society.

There are many brands of decaf that are quite tasty.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    The sign did not contain this:

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method ofposting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following: AS AUTHORIZED BYT.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTEDBUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE. (B) As used in thissection, "language substantially similar to" means the sign containslanguage plainly stating that: (i) The property isposted under authority of Tennessee law; (ii) Weapons orfirearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion ofthe property or building that is posted; and (iii) Possessing aweapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

So if I'm reading the law correctly, all they could do is ask me to leave. In which case I would not return.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The sign did not contain this:

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method ofposting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following: AS AUTHORIZED BYT.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTEDBUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE. (B) As used in thissection, "language substantially similar to" means the sign containslanguage plainly stating that: (i) The property isposted under authority of Tennessee law; (ii) Weapons orfirearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion ofthe property or building that is posted; and (iii) Possessing aweapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

So if I'm reading the law correctly, all they could do is ask me to leave. In which case I would not return.

You missed a part:
    (i) The internationalcircle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    We can go back and forth with the open or concealed carry for months. I personally prefer concealed, but if your choice is to open carry then that is your choice. If you are doing so legally I am just glad you are carrying. I do agree with the folks that open carry in regards to this thread. I personally turn around and go to a place that my pistol is accepted. I think that by going in anyway is accepting their posted sign as ok. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom