Brought home an M&P 9 Full Size... no safeties :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Been looking for a while for one. They've been hard to find. LGS were sold out. Pre 'panic' prices were between $479 - $550 + tax. I posted in the WTB section of classifieds and a very kind member sent me a PM asking if I wanted to purchase his. We agreed on $500 FTF in Logansport.

I was sent a few pics it looks perfectly new. I was told that it has about 50 rounds through it. It appears that way to me :rockwoot: Got the gun, 2 (17) round mags, case, lock, and all papers with it.

I got off work around 2pm Saturday. Came home and changed clothes. Got my wife and kids together and we hit the road from Mishawaka to Logansport. Took about an hour and a half to make the trip. Had dinner with one of my wife's friends while we were down there. The drive back really stunk. My headlights are atrocious and the weather was getting worse. We were home by 9pm with my new baby :)

I can't carry it yet though, I need a holster (and trijicon HD sights, and a tactical light, APEX parts... and and and) :D

Holster recommendations anyone ??

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    congrats! the m&p9 was the first gun i bought, i love it. great design, excellent ergonomics, the witness window is great, and i like that i dont have to pull the trigger to field strip.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    congrats! the m&p9 was the first gun i bought, i love it. great design, excellent ergonomics, the witness window is great, and i like that i dont have to pull the trigger to field strip.

How is this possible ? the video I saw on youtube showe the guy pulling the trigger as he was pulling the slide off the frame.

also...

I carry a P11 in a fobus paddle holster. The P11 is light enough that I don't worry much about a lack of retention.

For the M&P, I would like something with more positive retention, but not a SERPA. Any suggestions ? (I typically prefer OC as long as it doesn't become a debate) :laugh:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Woah there, no safeties? How is it that you haven't shot yourself yet?!?!?!? I like bladetech holsters for OWB. A simple Don Hume for IWB. Consider a TLR-2 light/laser combo.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Woah there, no safeties? How is it that you haven't shot yourself yet?!?!?!? I like bladetech holsters for OWB. A simple Don Hume for IWB. Consider a TLR-2 light/laser combo.

I haven't put any ammo in it yet :D

All seriousness though.. none of my PISTOLS have safeties. MY safety is between my ears ;)

Thanks for the holster recommendations too :yesway: Gonna check them out.

Does either holster recommendation include provisions for the light ?

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How is this possible ? the video I saw on youtube showe the guy pulling the trigger as he was pulling the slide off the frame.

also...

I carry a P11 in a fobus paddle holster. The P11 is light enough that I don't worry much about a lack of retention.

For the M&P, I would like something with more positive retention, but not a SERPA. Any suggestions ? (I typically prefer OC as long as it doesn't become a debate) :laugh:

The sear disengagement lever makes it so you don't have to pull the trigger like on a Glock.

For a holster, I use the Comp-Tac MTAC (IWB for CC) for my M&P9c...love it! Great retention, easy draw, and flexible setup.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I haven't put any ammo in it yet :D

All seriousness though.. none of my PISTOLS have safeties. MY safety is between my ears ;)

Thanks for the holster recommendations too :yesway: Gonna check them out.

Does either holster recommendation include provisions for the light ?

Good question. I believe that Bladetek does now offer a model that includes space for the light. I want one badly but have so many other things above it on my list. Right now, I carry a flashlight in my pocket when I'm out and afix the tlr at home.

The Bladetech holsters have retention screws which can be adjusted to give the perfect amount of surface tension. ie you can lighten it up a bit for comps and screw it down if you are going to want a tighter grip.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    Congrats on the M&P, OP. I brought one home last week (no safety) but haven't taken it out yet. The trigger is slightly gritty, but i really like the way it feels in my hand. I hope it serves you well :)

Good luck finding additional magazines!

jaybob275

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I believe the panic will be over by the summer. I'm starting to get some stock back this week. I'm even getting stuff outta rock river. Good luck y'all

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Congrats! I love the ergonomics and feel in hand of my m&p C.. Cannot wait to upgrade the trigger to an Apex! Just wish I could nail down its accuracy issues.. Before I send it back to S&W

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Walked away from one 3 weeks ago. Gritty trigger. Just can't drop the cash on a trigger that seems dirty.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I never use the special tool to break it down. I'm not sure who thought that was actually going to be used. Like you're going to pull that thing out and actually use it. It's just a marketing decision near as I can tell. Lets them say it is safer while still giving them the ability to do it the normal way. But then my Sig doesn't have a special tool nor the need to pull the trigger to field strip it—I like that about it.

Good buy, OP. Train with it well, and it will serve you well!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I never use the special tool to break it down. I'm not sure who thought that was actually going to be used. Like you're going to pull that thing out and actually use it. It's just a marketing decision near as I can tell. Lets them say it is safer while still giving them the ability to do it the normal way. But then my Sig doesn't have a special tool nor the need to pull the trigger to field strip it—I like that about it.

Good buy, OP. Train with it well, and it will serve you well!

Definitely need to get to the range with it. The range where I shoot frequently has on like it that I've shot quite a bit so its not new to me.

Also couldn't understand the point of trying to use that took to field strip it. Marketing gimmick I'm sure.

Top Bottom