Brk: Massive explosion in China. Cause currently unclear.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    Calcium Carbide...

Used to make calcium carbide "bombs" when I was a kid (just to make noise and fireballs at night). Take a metal paint can and punch a small hole in the bottom. Put a teaspoon full of calcium carbide pieces in the can. Add a tablespoon of water. Hammer on lid quickly and hold finger over the hole on the bottom. When the fizzing sound subsides remove finger and hold lit match or lighter up to hole....BOOM!!!!! It is an epic explosion. Had the metal paint can handle flip up once and the lid ripped the handle off the metal pieces that held it to the can. The lid was almost cut in half..... Man were we stupid kids! Also very lucky. That Calcium Carbide is powerful stuff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Calcium Carbide...

Used to make calcium carbide "bombs" when I was a kid (just to make noise and fireballs at night). Take a metal paint can and punch a small hole in the bottom. Put a teaspoon full of calcium carbide pieces in the can. Add a tablespoon of water. Hammer on lid quickly and hold finger over the hole on the bottom. When the fizzing sound subsides remove finger and hold lit match or lighter up to hole....BOOM!!!!! It is an epic explosion. Had the metal paint can handle flip up once and the lid ripped the handle off the metal pieces that held it to the can. The lid was almost cut in half..... Man were we stupid kids! Also very lucky. That Calcium Carbide is powerful stuff.

I would never do such a thing myself, but I am aware of a young man who filled some garbage bags with a mix of acetylene and oxygen from a welding kit, put the bags in an old VW microbus, then sprayed a line of lighter fluid from the bags to a hiding place, and finally dropped a match on the line of lighter fluid. Had I been present, I might have been impressed by the results.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would never do such a thing myself, but I am aware of a young man who filled some garbage bags with a mix of acetylene and oxygen from a welding kit, put the bags in an old VW microbus, then sprayed a line of lighter fluid from the bags to a hiding place, and finally dropped a match on the line of lighter fluid. Had I been present, I might have been impressed by the results.

In case you didn't know it, you just moved up on the list of some alphabet agency.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I once took all the stuff out of a chemistry set, poured it into a glass bottle with a string hanging out of it, and lit the string on fire with the cig-lighter in my mom's car... then ran like a crazy person and threw it over a fence.

Obviously nothing happened, but I was anticipating an earth-shattering kaboom.

I was probably 8, maybe 9.

Also, obviously, I didn't really know much about chemistry at the time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At the risk of turning this conversation political, is there a role for government in regulating these kinds of things?

Serious question. A certain philosophy might say to hold the owners/decisionmakers in the private entities (perhaps including the port authorities) responsible, perhaps even personally, for the damage.

A different philosophy might say that this - keeping certain chemicals in the same vicinity, or requiring warnings of the presence of certain chemicals - is an area where .gov might properly insert itself.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I once took all the stuff out of a chemistry set, poured it into a glass bottle with a string hanging out of it, and lit the string on fire with the cig-lighter in my mom's car... then ran like a crazy person and threw it over a fence.

Obviously nothing happened, but I was anticipating an earth-shattering kaboom.

I was probably 8, maybe 9.

Also, obviously, I didn't really know much about chemistry at the time.

Wow. I'm more impressed that you remember when cars had cig-lighters.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My old HS Chemistry teachers used to demonstrate electrolysis to break down water into H2 and O2, then pipe both into an overturned bucket, and use a spark to change them back into water. Used a rather large bucket once. Quite the detonation. Scared most of the school. His response: Its just water!

Acetylene filled balloons and bottle rockets. Just sayin'.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    30s
    Geesh.
    latest

Top Bottom