Bringing my Grandpa's guns from Ohio to Indiana. . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Just bring them home with you and enjoy them, if anyone ask's tell them they are yours and you where keeping them and granddads for safe keeping. You don't need to do to your local FFL to transfer guns from one state to another when you move so its no big deal. You are worrying about nothing. :patriot:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Why are we suggesting that the OP should do something that could get him a vacation in Club Fed?

from the ATF website

Q: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction? When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents.

<snip>

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Why are we suggesting that the OP should do something that could get him a vacation in Club Fed?
    from the ATF website

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

I think we all know that, knowing the actual situation.

But our point is if you change the story to "they left Indiana with me, I shot them at Grandmas, I'm bringing them back" that resolves your little issue.

Who is going to dispute it? Grandma? Those firearms are likely not registered. Even if they were at one time, Grandpa gave them to him before he died.

See how easy that was?

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow, looks like I opened a bit of a can of worms. :popcorn:

To those wondering what I may (or may not) be bringing home with me after Christmas, I really don't know. I didn't really become interested in guns 'till just before my Grandpa passed away. We never got to talk much on the subject, and he was pretty sick by that point, and not moving around very well or easily, so we never opened up the safe to have a look-see. I do know that at one point he had quite a few rifles and shot guns, and he was a Smith and Wesson collector. . . he had quite a few revolvers, many of which I don't think he ever shot, or didn't shoot much if he did. I also know that he had sold off a lot of what he had, so it's anybody's guess as to what's left until I visit next.

I'll talk it over with my Grandma, and take a closer look at the links and info some of you have shared and decide weather or not I'm going to bring anything home with me.

Thank you all very much for the advice.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have no idea if a situation like this has been covered before. . . I can't even really think of how to effectively search for a similar thread. . .

My Grandfather passed away about 2 years ago, and I was wondering what I would need to do to legally bring a couple of his guns home with me. He lived in Ohio, and I'm a 10 year resident of Indiana.
    If you search your memory I bet it will be able to recall that Grandpa gave you those guns 11 years ago, when you lived in Ohio.

Michiganmilitia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Not to be a debbie downer or say that I agree at all with the blanket law that applies, but you might want to do some more research/thinking.

I ran into this same scenario a while back. I did a lot of research on this hoping I wouldn't have to go through the pain of transfering my G-Pa's guns to me. I called the ATF. They said you had to do a transfer through a FFL. It IS illegal to transfer a firearm from state to state unless your grandfather specifically specified each firearm that was supposed to go to you in his will. (Sorry to hear about your loss). There is no gifting provision or anything like that. I talked to an FFL here and he said doing a transfer also protects YOU incase somebody breaks into your residence and decides to steal them and commit a crime with them. You can then get into a lot of trouble if they start doing some digging around and find out they aren't yours and saw they were purchased in another state at one point. Gun companies keep records of which serial number they ship to which state. Or if for some reason you are out hunting with them and mistakenly do something that the DNR doesn't like or miss some little random rule they have, they will take your guns for a time as part of the "crime."

I too think it makes some sense for the commercial trafficking b/w states. I think it is extremely stupid for a single person wanting to carry on a family firearm. Unconstitutional IMHO. I did it and I sleep better at night knowing that there is no way I could ever get in trouble down the road because of it. Hope this helps...always play the safe side when it comes to guns, take the high road...remember...the media loves to blow things out of proportion and will make something a bigger deal than what it is for the $$$

Last edited:

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Well, let's see, the shotgun I bought with cash at a fleamarket in Florida and threw in a case in my trunk and drove to Indiana. It was a legal sale in Florida, crossed how many state lines? Need an FFL for each state crossed? It was my gun in my possession legally in Florida, so I just brought home my gun. He is just bringing home his guns. OP, you asked a random open ended question, I only gave you my opinion and as you should know, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink more than others! You pick your destiny.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Its a gift, or inheritance, not a transaction.

Gift or transaction makes no difference, only by inheritance via will or by intestate succession can he avoid the need to go through an FFL. Neither of those things happened; Grandma is now the legal owner of the guns. He needs an FFL in Indiana to do the transfer.

I don't like the law any more than you do.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If Grandma gives them to you and they are long guns, just bring them home. I don't think they even need to be specially cased, actions open, or anything like that, but don't quote me on that part.

Correct on the Indiana side of things. I dont know my Ohio gun laws, so I still wouldnt be transporting them loaded or in the passenger compartment of the vehicle, not that there would be any need to anyways.

Well, let's see, the shotgun I bought with cash at a fleamarket in Florida and threw in a case in my trunk and drove to Indiana. It was a legal sale in Florida, crossed how many state lines? Need an FFL for each state crossed? It was my gun in my possession legally in Florida, so I just brought home my gun. He is just bringing home his guns. OP, you asked a random open ended question, I only gave you my opinion and as you should know, opinions are like a$, everyone has one and some stink more than others! You pick your destiny.

Are you sure that was a legal sale? Just because it happened doesnt make it legal.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Well there has been Quite a few opinions and i totally ride the fence here on giving an opinion to somebody that my advice could give you a trip to a gated FEDERAL resort !

Now having said that ! if it where me i would bring them home with me ! making sure i had them all unloaded all in locked cases and not accesiable to me and absolutly no ammo ! being real careful with handguns not to be in the reach of anybody ! even if i had to make more than one trip !

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Go to your local gun shop and talk to the owner. Tell him you have X amount of guns you need to have sent to his shop so he can transfer to you. They might cut you a deal..

Go to grandma's and take her plus the guns to her local gun shop. Have that gun shop transfer to your gun shop.

when back in Indiana go and do the paperwork at your gun shop.

once the paperwork is complete go home and enjoy.

It may cost some cash with shipping/transfer but cheaper than getting busted....

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dang gone, I am no lawyer, don't even have one in the family! But, if it were me, I would put them in gun cases, empty of course, if possible, leave actions open inside the cases. Don't transport any ammo with the guns, make that a seperate trip. Drive the speed limit, come home, unwrap, let them warm up, wipe down with some Rem oil, put in your safe. Those would be my actions if they were my grandpa's and my grandma said I could have them.
    I have opened my mouth, I guess I'll see what kind of storm this creates.
    Oh, I forgot to add, double check your license plate and registration and make sure it is up to date, all lights work on your vehicle, and don't drive paranoid, just drive within the legal limits and go home. If in a pickup, would have them in a locked tool box or behind the seat. Not hiding per se, just keeping things kosher.

This was my thinking before I read it. Well said, Farmer jon!

Michiganmilitia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Correct on the Indiana side of things. I dont know my Ohio gun laws, so I still wouldnt be transporting them loaded or in the passenger compartment of the vehicle, not that there would be any need to anyways.

The annoying thing about this is both states can be fine with what you ar doing... But the federal government then has their say and they are not cool with it. It's a pain trying to keep track of local, state, DNR, and federal laws with guns. But that is what these forums are for. Helping you stay on the wide open side of the barbed wire. Decide if waiting a few days for them to ship, the money you will save in gas, and the couple bucks you have to pay a FFL is worth the risk. If you are interested in an FFL, I know a guy that was really helpful.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Salamander42,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know I would have preferred that my grandfather stayed around much longer than he did.

Technically, these are no longer your grandfathers firearms. Unless he willed them to someone specifically they are now your grandmothers firearms.

I don't think it would be illegal for you to give your grandmother and her firearms a lift over to your home. Then, you can return grandmother to Ohio minus her guns, which you will of course clean and care for in her interest.

Then, make certain that grandma leaves you the firearms you are caring for in her will.

Hows that sound?

Regards,

Doug

PS - No matter what method you use In all fairness to avoid a potential family feud make certain you get a general idea of the value of the firearms on the open market and see that all other potential inheritors receive generally the same value of stuff. FAMILIES HAVE BEEN TORN APART BY FAR LESS THAN THIS!!!

kan915

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Allen County
    sorry for your loss. my father passed 5 years ago, my mother gave me his guns, I packed em up in the bed of my truck and brought them home. I didnt get stopped though, figured if I did I would just deal with it as it came. I'm not saying you should do the same thing, he gave me a few guns now and then and I brought them home with me, I didnt see any difference. They were legally purchased, given to me, so I brought em home, didnt really think all that much about it, just did it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    sorry for your loss. my father passed 5 years ago, my mother gave me his guns, I packed em up in the bed of my truck and brought them home. I didnt get stopped though, figured if I did I would just deal with it as it came. I'm not saying you should do the same thing, he gave me a few guns now and then and I brought them home with me, I didnt see any difference. They were legally purchased, given to me, so I brought em home, didnt really think all that much about it, just did it.

At the time, what state were the guns in, and what state did you live in? This is the rub.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Let me ask the question a different way.

Let's say that Grandpa, just before he died, gave the OP the guns while the OP still lived in Ohio. Let's say the OP just left HIS guns at Grandmas because he didn't really have a safe place to store them after he moved to Indiana.

Can the OP bring HIS guns from Grandmas house to his house? Is that legal without involving a FFL?

Top Bottom