Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Oh oaths do indeed mean things. So does the chain of command or the supremacy of a higher court. Her Christian faith and the Law of God supersede the laws of the United States, and the rulings of God's court outweigh that of the Supreme Court. Whatever can be said about her, she is not morally wrong to disobey the requirement.

To put it another way,

"Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you, rather than to God, you judge."

The law of God is not the law of the United States. Try explaining to a judge why you did something illegal because God said it was okay.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    So...how long until a gay couple tries to do the same thing at a church? I would bet within 6 months there will be another high profile case like this where a suit will be filed because a church refuses to perform a ceremony.

Also, I haven't read all of the info on this case yet. Was the gay couple in question resident to this county, or non residents that knew it would cause a stink by going to her? From far away this sure stinks like it was all a set up to force a court to make a decision, thus further legislating from the bench.

They could try but it would fall into the trash heap faster than Trent Richardson.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So...how long until a gay couple tries to do the same thing at a church? I would bet within 6 months there will be another high profile case like this where a suit will be filed because a church refuses to perform a ceremony.

Also, I haven't read all of the info on this case yet. Was the gay couple in question resident to this county, or non residents that knew it would cause a stink by going to her? From far away this sure stinks like it was all a set up to force a court to make a decision, thus further legislating from the bench.

Churches have been and are covered by existing law and the SCOTUS decision. They may pick and choose whom they will or will not marry.

The people in the case against this clerk are residents of the county and they are four couples. Two gay and two straight, (people keep overlooking the straight couples and they look foolish when they do). The clerk went out of her way to make life miserable by denying them their Rights and refusing to do her job. She continually disobeyed the courts and now she is paying for her dereliction of duty and contempt of the court. No-one denied her the Right to practice her religion (as the courts went out of their way to state), but she does not have the Right to a government job.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Yep. And because there are people like this douchebag who use their deity as an excuse to commit crimes. It's an easy sidewise scramble from that clerk to this guy.

Bible-quoting child sex abuse defendant faces new charges

This is horse manure. This is no better than claiming that allowing gay marriage will lead us to allowing pedophilia. Sideways scramble? Please.

The clerk went out of her way to make life miserable by denying them their Rights and refusing to do her job.

Make life miserable? Oh, the drama. So they gotta drive to the next county. This is Kentucky, a lot of these folks have to drive to the next county just to find the nearest Walmart.

I'm not saying it's right, but geeze. Let's have some perspective.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    If it weren't so serious, it would be humorous that all the gay rights cheerleaders now have to defend the very things they have always said would never happen. So who's really the douche?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is horse manure. This is no better than claiming that allowing gay marriage will lead us to allowing pedophilia. Sideways scramble? Please.

Make life miserable? Oh, the drama. So they gotta drive to the next county. This is Kentucky, a lot of these folks have to drive to the next county just to find the nearest Walmart.

I'm not saying it's right, but geeze. Let's have some perspective.

If you don't like it then leave the country. That's essentially what this harridan told them. Screw that. They are taxpaying citizens of that county and, as such, should be accorded ALL the services their tax dollars pay for. She refused to do that, for both straight and gay citizens and now she's paying the price for her stupidity. Hopefully she becomes rational at some point and resigns her position like a person of integrity would. She has no Right to deny services she took an oath to provide.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think I'm going to run for County Clerk. If I win I'm only going to issue marriage licenses to those people that the dark lord Cthulhu approves of.

That County Clerk reminds me of a cartoon I once saw in a "Mens Magazine". It showed a drugist lecturing his check-out girl, telling her that she had to sell the condoms even if she didn't think the guy deserved to get laid.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you don't like it then leave the country. That's essentially what this harridan told them. Screw that. They are taxpaying citizens of that county and, as such, should be accorded ALL the services their tax dollars pay for. She refused to do that, for both straight and gay citizens and now she's paying the price for her stupidity. Hopefully she becomes rational at some point and resigns her position like a person of integrity would. She has no Right to deny services she took an oath to provide.

I'm aware of what she did. But let's not pretend that having to make a quick country commute in order to get your marriage license signed is making any body's life miserable.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    What I believe is interesting in this is that the Judge has told the rest of the office, "The judge also told all five of the clerk's deputies, including her son, Nathan Davis, that they are free to issue licenses to all applicants while Davis is held in contempt, but would also face fines or jail if they refuse to comply. He told them to meet with lawyers and consider their fates before returning to his courtroom later Thursday to reveal their decisions."
    So it seems that we shall see if her office staff has the same convictions as she does. Of course, if they defy her wishes and she gets out of jail what kind of retribution will they face, legal or not? It has become abundantly clear that she has no compunction about obeying the law.

I also like this from the Judge, "I myself have genuinely held religious beliefs," the judge said, but "I took an oath."
    "Mrs. Davis took an oath," he added. "Oaths mean things."

I think it is interesting politically how he didn't allow himself to be outflanked by her supporters. Had he fined her this may have meant nothing as the people backing her could just send in money so she wasn't pressured. By jailing her this cuts off any amelioration she could receive from supporters. Judges can be pretty smart at times.

Regards,

Doug

PS - The link, duh: News from The Associated Press

Interesting. I wonder when a federal judge will jail President Obama for failing to abide by the legal provisions of ObamaCare, or the Mayors and Police Chiefs of "Sanctuary Cities" for refusing to abide by immigration laws. "Law" is just only when it applies to everyone.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Oh now I haven't heard that since the 60s. America, love it or leave it. Seriously?

Now, if all the people that was directed at in the 60s had done as you now suggest, we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in now. And Canada or Cuba would be immersed in #PC transgender BLM ness, and we wouldn't have to fight to get a president to follow the Constitution.

Interesting. I wonder when a federal judge will jail President Obama for failing to abide by the legal provisions of ObamaCare, or the Mayors and Police Chiefs of "Sanctuary Cities" for refusing to abide by immigration laws. "Law" is just only when it applies to everyone.

Ooh ooh, call on me teacher!!! Um, maybe never?

Maybe BHO should follow Mrjarrell's advice... hmm.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I mean, you are proving my point how either party doesn't care about the conduct of its members.

Oh, please! Republicans forced Richard Nixon to resign, they forced two Republican Congressmen from Florida to resign over sexual misconduct, they forced Trent Lott to resign when he was accused of corruption (charges which later were dismissed.) Every time there is a hint of scandal surrounding a Republican, the Democrats start screaming and demanding resignations - and the Republicans usually give in. I haven't seen any Democrats demanding Hillary Clinton give up her Presidential aspiration for "the good of the Party."

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Churches have been and are covered by existing law and the SCOTUS decision. They may pick and choose whom they will or will not marry.

The people in the case against this clerk are residents of the county and they are four couples. Two gay and two straight, (people keep overlooking the straight couples and they look foolish when they do). The clerk went out of her way to make life miserable by denying them their Rights and refusing to do her job. She continually disobeyed the courts and now she is paying for her dereliction of duty and contempt of the court. No-one denied her the Right to practice her religion (as the courts went out of their way to state), but she does not have the Right to a government job.

My pointt is that currently the state recognizes marriages conducted by many churches. Currently the SCOTUS decision exempts churches, and some churches continue to not conduct homosexual ceremonies. I can see a point in time where a case could come up against those churches. The resultant legal battle could result in a decisionwhere such churches are required to conduct homosexual unions or be stripped of the ability to conduct an official legally recognized heterosexual marriage.

I can see some folks pushing the issue to force the courts to weigh in.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

^^^^ This. Why does this "elected official" get a pass from upholding immigration law and that county clerk gets jail?

Oh, wait! Because she is not an elite government insider like BHO or Hillary Clinton.

Equal under the law my ass. Maybe BHO will pardon this clerk, he can do that?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I see what you are getting at...but the Supremes didn't write any laws, they classified laws prohibiting same-sex marriage as unconstitutional...there is a difference.

"The will of the people" doesn't apply when it is being used as a bludgeon against a minority, which in this case it was.

If same-sex marriage harms anyone (and I argue that it does not), it only harms those who consent to engage in the act. Those people who chose to engage in that act should be free to do so...unless it creates an undue burden (ie: measurable harm) for the rest of society.

Think about it: A law against gay marriage doesn't protect anyone...Nobody wakes up in a hospital gay married. Nobody gets gay married to death...you can't get force-gay married. These laws only limit freedom...other people's freedom.

What you think is "icky" or your holy book says is "unclean" matters only to you...these are not basis for limiting other's freedoms.

At the end of the day, this is about control...and the loss thereof. Right?

I'd argue that same sex marriage DOES harm our society - is harming our society, and that the People of Kentucky have the right to make decisions about their society in this matter - NOT the federal courts.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm aware of what she did. But let's not pretend that having to make a quick country commute in order to get your marriage license signed is making any body's life miserable.

Does the same apply to gun owners who want a permit in their state or county or should they move somewhere else? Her actions were deliberate in their causing distress to the people who are now suing her. She deserves whatever she has brought upon herself for forsaking her oath and trying to impose her superstitions on others.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Oaths were made to be broken.

army-oath.jpg

[video=youtube;aNi5256dhvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi5256dhvM&bpctr=1441310020[/video]
    So which oaths of office should be broken?

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

I was thinking this same thing. I will also add Colorado ignoring the federal marijuana law.

Top Bottom