Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    level.eleven said:

I've seen this all over, so I decided to do some fact checking.

Actual quote from the pastor on a podcast: "We are not going to bow. We are not going to bend, and if necessary we will burn."

He said nothing about self-immolation.

He was paraphrasing lyrics from a song about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego from the book of Daniel. King Nebuchadnezzar commanded them to fall to their knees and worship his idol, but they refused. He threatened to burn them alive in a huge furnace if they did not, but they still refused.

The pastor was using this imagery to explain that he would not acknowledge or condone gay marriage and would accept whatever consequences come from that. One would have to foolish, ignorant, or downright dishonest to interpret this as an intention to set himself on fire.

Consider your nonsense
    debunked.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've seen this all over, so I decided to do some fact checking.

Actual quote from the pastor on a podcast: "We are not going to bow. We are not going to bend, and if necessary we will burn."

He said nothing about self-immolation.

He was paraphrasing lyrics from a song about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego from the book of Daniel. King Nebuchadnezzar commanded them to fall to their knees and worship his idol, but they refused. He threatened to burn them alive in a huge furnace if they did not, but they still refused.

The pastor was using this imagery to explain that he would not acknowledge or condone gay marriage and would accept whatever consequences come from that. One would have to foolish, ignorant, or downright dishonest to interpret this as an intention to set himself on fire.

Consider your nonsense
    debunked.jpg

Oh, c'mon man. You expectin' intellectual honesty when it comes to progress?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Oh, c'mon man. You expectin' intellectual honesty when it comes to progress?

Honesty can be hard work. Much easier to repeat a meme or just throw out some snark. And honesty isn't even that effective. Just look at the political make-up of America.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's bad enough we give big-time stars so much credibility on their opinions. I'm not sure why I should care what a washed up, has-been, 3rd rate actor thinks.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    It's bad enough we give big-time stars so much credibility on their opinions. I'm not sure why I should care what a washed up, has-been, 3rd rate actor thinks.

but he's gay and has a twitter account. this is IMPORTANT

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Some thoughts on legalizing polygamous marriages:

1. Is everybody equal in such a marriage? Does it vary depending on the time they've been married?
    2. Can new people be added?
    3. How is it structured? Is it 3 women married to a man, do they form a ring, or a mesh?
    4. Related to the above, how does divorce work? Can it fail due to disagreement?
    5. Is there a size limit? What if a whole town decides to get married, imagine the work untangling that will be.
    6. What if one person is in the hospital and there are two others that can make a life or death decision, and disagree?
    7. There are practical social issues. Eg, rich man gets himself 20 wives. Enough of that will skew the ratio in the community, resulting in some really angry people.
    8. Who do the children belong to?
    9. The court system will probably need an upgrade. We're talking about dramatically increasing complexity and opportunity for conflict.

10. Multiple marriages, I have property, stocks, bonds, assets and want to pass it to my heirs but don't want them to pay Capital gains. So my wife and I marry our daughter/son-in-law, presto instant tax loophole.
    This whole gay marriage thing could be better than I thought.

1. Not our business
    2. Not our business
    3. Not our business
    4. Like a partnership, person who wants to leave buys out. And a person can be forced to leave by being bought out...
    5. No, and remember what the Dems said, it takes a village to raise a child.
    6. Living will, or consensus of all partners
    7. Too bad for the poor slobs without a nice bank account
    8. The collective
    9. No more that dealing with partnerships and other business forms, hardly complicated at all
    10. Yes, no more need for probate or rules of inheritance

When you add incest into the mix it gets more and more interesting... (yes, that's coming too)

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I'm pleased we have common ground and can respectfully exchange ideas. That is a valuable commodity. When you speak of the potential consequences I feel like you are using an argument not dissimilar to the ones used by anti-gun people. That is to say, if we allow x what is to stop people for doing y and z. I.e. If we allow national reciprocity, then irresponsible out of state gun owners will turn fender benders into shootouts...

We rightly point out that this isn't a real problem in states with already recognize interstate reciprocity.

We do have example of countries which have allowed gay marriage for some time and these fears of extremely alternative marriages haven't really manifested outside of a few very unusual and highly publicized cases. I'm not suggesting there wont be circumstances which require deliberation and even legal clarification. I just don't think we need to deny people a right because of what we imagine may happen in unrelated cases. The legal system is set up exactly for the purpose of sorting these messes out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Never said it should be. But with the addition of gay marriage being legal, it's the next best thing.

Well, I just see it as ironic because Thomas' marriage would have been illegal 50ish years ago.

1. Not our business
    2. Not our business
    3. Not our business
    4. Like a partnership, person who wants to leave buys out. And a person can be forced to leave by being bought out...
    8. The collective
    9. No more that dealing with partnerships and other business forms, hardly complicated at all

When you add incest into the mix it gets more and more interesting... (yes, that's coming too)

If the purpose of government sanctioned marriage is to make fair distribution of government benefits, tax breaks, and so on, I think as a tax paying citizen I should have a right to say no to that. You're not going to marry everyone you know just so you can create a government enforced benefits pyramid scheme. Okay, fine, if you want to be in a polygamist marriage, go ahead. But YOU pay for it.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    1. Not our business
    2. Not our business
    3. Not our business
    8. The collective

i was implying it as if the government were to sanction polygamous marriages. It becomes irrelevant if they decide to get out of it.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Seems like we are reaching the point where marriage and family have no real meaning.

You're a day late and a dollar short on this one. Ever see what percentage of marriages end in divorce? Anyone who has gotten a divorce is part of the problem of taking away the meaning of marriage and family.

Top Bottom