• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I work damn hard for what I've got, and Ill be damned if a methhead is going to take anything.

I'm not trying to flame... But...

You honestly think it's morally justifiable to kill someone (you are, in essence, personally administering capital punishment) because they are taking your tv? Really?

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I would definately clear the house while my wife is covering my six. We can lock the babies room on the way around and get to him after we're done. NVG's in the lead and a finger switch on the tail end charlie's flashlight. If its a weekend alone, definately having a house clearing party...

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside

You honestly think it's morally justifiable to kill someone (you are, in essence, personally administering capital punishment) because they are taking your tv? Really?

Have you seen what other countries do to thieves? Would I kill them over a TV? No. But if they don't drop it I will start a struggle in which they most likely will not survive unless they leave. And that not really an option when you enter Vic's thunderdome!

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    securing my kids means i clear the house. master bedroom is down stairs kids rooms are up stairs.

i live in a small town with it's own police force but i really dont know how long it would take for them to get here. we had to call them once for a non emergency and it seemed to take quite a while considering the size of the town.

i have a st. bernard who's worthless as a watch dog. wife works mid nights so either way we either both head for up stairs to secure the kids or i do it alone.

jake

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah

YES YES YES YES YES YES oh did i mention YES

my wife and kids sleep here, you come in my house uninvited even for just my TV and i will do everything in my power to kill you. i'm an easy going guy but dont mess with my house and my stuff and put my wife and kids at risk, and while they may just be going for your TV who knows what else they might have on their mind or on their person.

criminals need to be dead period! the only way to reduce crime is to reduce the number of criminals! attrition works!

jake

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Call 911 then I would get out of the house ASAP. If not, then I'd probably secure in closest room and wait. There isn't anything in the house that can't be replaced.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Call 911 then I would get out of the house ASAP. If not, then I'd probably secure in closest room and wait. There isn't anything in the house that can't be replaced.

edited for content. my current living conditions leave me vulnerable in more ways than 1. my personal way to assure my safety would be to use the knowledge of the house to my advantage (whether it be the master switch that flips on every light in the house, including those outside; arm myself with one of the flavors of the week, etc) then clear the jail cells that are called rooms in the house, and after the fact contact the local police department and await their fantastic 10 minute plus show up.

that is my problem, i know how long it takes west lafayette police to show up and even longer for tippecanoe county. sorry to have offended anyone, as my previous post was hastily and thoughtlessly written. too all a good day.

Last edited:

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    In my situation, my wife and I have decided that I call 911 (I basically sleep with my phone), she sets up in her bedroom door and I clear the house.

Now, if they happen to come in through a bedroom, then screw 911, except to call for an ambulance.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    YES YES YES YES YES YES oh did i mention YES

my wife and kids sleep here, you come in my house uninvited even for just my TV and i will do everything in my power to kill you. i'm an easy going guy but dont mess with my house and my stuff and put my wife and kids at risk, and while they may just be going for your TV who knows what else they might have on their mind or on their person.

criminals need to be dead period! the only way to reduce crime is to reduce the number of criminals! attrition works!

jake

Alright. We disagree on principle, but fine. At least you dont dance around it with semantics.

I'll make sure to send my ghetto neighbors your way when they want to score some loot. See what happens. :D

the very cowardice encouraged by some people to get to a "safe room" or "closet" makes me SICK. as i said in an earlier sentence, it is YOUR ELEMENT, the odds are, this person or persons did not study the blueprint of your house and form a tactical entry point with a designated rendezvous point after extraction. grow a pair and do what it takes to protect your homestead.

You overestimate how easy room clearing is. This is a recent article that talks about how a set of instructors tell you to clear rooms. (spoiler: they tell you not to.) This holds true with all the professionals I've talked to as well.

Also, when you have a family, you realize that some things are more important than your pride and/or your "homestead". I protect my wife and her kids, and I protect her husband. I don't protect my tv.

Last edited:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Alright. We disagree on principle, but fine. At least you dont dance around it with semantics.

I'll make sure to send my ghetto neighbors your way when they want to score some loot. See what happens. :D

It's not that i sit around and hope someone breaks in, but how can you determine that they are just after your tv? they might change their mind once they see you or realize your there. it could easily change from about your tv to about you. and yep no semantics about it. you just dont enter into someones house and expect to live

You overestimate how easy room clearing is. This is a recent article that talks about how the instructors tell you to clear rooms. (spoiler: they tell you not to.)

Also, when you have a family, you realize that some things are more important than your pride and/or your "homestead". I protect my wife and her kids, and I protect her husband. I don't protect my tv.

this is exactly why i will do my best to kill and intruder. there is no threat to my wife and kids if the intruder is dead. and as i stated above just the very layout of the house means to secure the kids i have to "clear" it.

jake

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    this is exactly why i will do my best to kill and intruder. there is no threat to my wife and kids if the intruder is dead. and as i stated above just the very layout of the house means to secure the kids i have to "clear" it.

jake

Have you considered bailing and asking the neighbors to call 911?

I guess i'm lucky in that all of my "loot" is between my loved ones and the entrance points of the home. I don't have to travel anywhere; Just hunker down and fill anything that comes through the bedroom door with buckshot.

Good luck with your clearing. I would recommend training, even personalized "me and a few friends with airsoft guns" room clearing training. It is insanely difficult.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Have you considered bailing and asking the neighbors to call 911?

I guess i'm lucky in that all of my "loot" is between my loved ones and the entrance points of the home. I don't have to travel anywhere; Just hunker down and fill anything that comes through the bedroom door with buckshot.

Good luck with your clearing. I would recommend training, even personalized "me and a few friends with airsoft guns" room clearing training. It is insanely difficult.

i guess you didnt see where i am down stairs and i have to make it the stairs which isnt all that close to the bed room to get to my kids...... i dont have a choice i cant leave the kids up their by them selves the ages are 6,10,10, and 12. as soon as you have to leave the bedroom you dont have a choice in the matter unless your going to trust the intruder is just after your tv? maybe one could ask "hey umm yea i was wondering are you here for my tv or my kids..... i mean i dont want to put you on the spot or anything....."

jake

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I would clear any rooms (quickly) between me and the kids. Then hunker down with some heat.

and then what? wait for your stuff to be stolen? house destroyed?

call the police and you still need to let them in unless you want them to kick your door in? so guess what ur still clearing the house. a cop on the outside does you know good if the criminal is in ur house with you

not being argumentative genuinely curious

i agree with everyone hunkering in would be safest but not always practical. once you leave your bedroom your clearing by default.

if no kids i might consider it but prolly not just not my style

jake

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am divorced and my kids are grown and gone. I have no pets and little that anyone would want. I also no longer have the bravado of youthful ignorance. I have the wisdom of age and the knowledge that regardless of how much of a badass you think you are, there is always someone who can make you understand the fallacy of that line of thinking. Should Mister Badguy decide to come down the hallway that leads to my room I will ensure that he feels unwelcome

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another split floorplan here. Wife and I on one side, daughter on the other. I have to cross the path of both the front and back doors to get to her. Not an ideal arrangement at all, and we have discussed changing it (there is an open bedroom next to my girl's room).

For now, I would absolutely HAVE to clear a path to my daughter. I can hunker down once I'm there. My wife can hunker down in the master bedroom and call 911.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I am divorced and my kids are grown and gone. I have no pets and little that anyone would want. I also no longer have the bravado of youthful ignorance. I have the wisdom of age and the knowledge that regardless of how much of a badass you think you are, there is always someone who can make you understand the fallacy of that line of thinking. Should Mister Badguy decide to come down the hallway that leads to my room I will ensure that he feels unwelcome

Exactly right!

But remember, a gun makes you invincible and such thoughts are considered nothing more than a sign of weakness or cowardice. Those DVD's need to be PROTECTED and if you have to die saving them, then so be IT!!! ;)

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    while i agree to the material value of replacing things, my personal thoughts on dignity, peace of mind, possible family members, are what get brought up. as in some guy thought it was OK to find his way into my home and take liberties with my property? the very lack of moral standards is the deserving factor of an ass beating. mind you i said beating, not a killing. you are in YOUR element, use it. any officer that i know or associate with would most likely stand idly by as i had a couple minutes of alone time with the person.

i am also quite perturbed in peoples' mentioning of "my peace of mind is my side-arm, blah blah." my peace of mind is knowing i don't need a firearm on me at all times while in my house. visitors already have :n00b: look when they see me move a firearm to the room i move to because i have little peace of mind. my neighbor was just arrested for theft, luckily for myself, it was not my home.

the very cowardice encouraged by some people to get to a "safe room" or "closet" makes me SICK. as i said in an earlier sentence, it is YOUR ELEMENT, the odds are, this person or persons did not study the blueprint of your house and form a tactical entry point with a designated rendezvous point after extraction. grow a pair and do what it takes to protect your homestead.

are you saying that I make you SICK because I wouldn't clear my home by myself? are you also saying that I don't have a "pair" because of this?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

IF an intruder comes into my home knowing that I'm there...Well, It's obvious the intruder has no regard for human life.
    I don't look at the intruder as just a thief but as a possible murderer also. Home invasion shouldn't be taken lightly with your concerns being a TV or toaster.

Top Bottom