• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    You do not have to have a SSN on your drivers license.
    Now I am curious, Might have to make a trip to Bradis this week and see what they have to say.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    One other idea that may help resolve this type of probem in the future. Go ahead and get a license just to have it. Whether or not you actually choose to drive is still up to you. At least then you can ensure that this never happens again, no matter where you take your business.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    But can't you imagine all the hell raising if it were a business that had signs that said "NO GUNS ALLOWED"?

I do find it odd that INGO'ers look the other way when gun shops ask them to unload before entering. :dunno: Even INGO's favorite gun shop (and mine)...Bradis.

I never unload and have never been called on it even when I oc.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Now I am curious, Might have to make a trip to Bradis this week and see what they have to say.

If you give them some time, I'm guessing they will respond right here on INGO.

One other idea that may help resolve this type of probem in the future. Go ahead and get a license just to have it.

This is the second time I've seen this recommended to the OP, and I too think its a good idea.

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    well its pretty much like Bradis saying they wont sell to anyone who doesnt have a lifetime permit. Is it fair or right? Nope

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Well there are 2 ID's drivers license and State ID. there are 2 PP permits, Lifetime and State ID. Bradis is their infinite wisdom is saying they will not accept 1 type of ID (widely accepted state ID) and will only take the Drivers License.

Suppose Bradis decided to say they will only sell to people with the Lifetime permit and not the 4 year....

Its the same thing they are doing with the state ID

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The more I think about this whole thing, the more I am beginning to agree with the OP. A State issued Identification should suffice just as a drivers license does.

I want to hear from the Bradis folks.

Disclaimer up front-- all my experience with Bradis to date has been VERY positive. This is mostly a non-issue for me but I'm very interested to hear the rationale. MY SO doesn't drive-- just doesn't have the depth perception to handle a 4 wheeled vehicle. So he has a state issued ID. He does fine with a bicycle, and handles a firearm quite well, thank you. We did a Louis Awerbuck pistol class at Boone County (some time ago now!) and he did very well. He does Martial Arts and firearms are not his first choice for a weapon-- I'm the Gun Nut in the House. Any bad guy that breaks in here will likely get off Scott Free-- we'll be too busy arguing about which one of us gets to take 'em out, and what weapon we get to use! But I digress. . . :)

My point is that there is no good reason I can think of that his state issue ID SHOULDN'T be accepted. He's not likely to wander in there-- he's busy buying high end bicycle things. But I'm still very interested to hear the rationale-- if there is one. Just curious!

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Well there are 2 ID's drivers license and State ID. there are 2 PP permits, Lifetime and State ID. Bradis is their infinite wisdom is saying they will not accept 1 type of ID (widely accepted state ID) and will only take the Drivers License.

Suppose Bradis decided to say they will only sell to people with the Lifetime permit and not the 4 year....

Its the same thing they are doing with the state ID

Yes, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Bradis has every right to dictate which form of ID they will accept, and if, for whatever odd reason, they chose to say you have to have a Lifetime and not a 4-year then that's their choice. I don't think that the comparison hold water here.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Just to chime in. I too do NOT have a drivers license currently. However, mine is because I medically cannot. Because of this, Bradis DOES have a policy to allow state Id's if you provide documentation with your Id stating your disability. I did not like the rule at first either since I shopped their back in the day when I actually DID have a valid license and most of them know me now for years. However, they still did not accept my State issued ID without medical doc's backing it up. (They even put it on the form you fill out.) At the time I was told it was because they get a lot of bad traffic from the Chicago area with fake IN state ID's. Because of the large fines that can probably accompany selling to a fake ID I can understand their viewpoint on the situation as they are there to make money and not pay fines. Im sure if it hadn't already burned them in the past, they would gladly take your State ID. Sorry you had a bad experience, but as others said, some places just don't accept them and don't have to as long as they don't discriminate individually. As for a gun store. They are one of the best.

And as for the signs??? They are plastered everywhere. I don't know how you missed them. I see them on even the glass counters you look at to see the guns.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    As far as the State of Indiana is concerned the State ID is equivalent to a drivers license as a form of ID. I believe Bradis made a unnecessary decision to exclude state IDs but not for malicious reasons.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    State ID's appear to be more difficult to obtain from the BMV than they were in the past. But a nominal fee will still obtain you a fake...just as it will a fake driver's license.

Indiana State ID requirements:

To apply for a state ID card, just go to any license agency. Make sure to bring along proof of both your identity and your date of birth from the state's acceptable documentation list. You'll need to provide one document each from the primary, secondary, and proof of residency groups. Or, you can show two documents from the primary group and one from the proof of residency group. Only original documents or certified copies will be allowed. If your Social Security number is not already on the Bureau of Motor Vehicles' internal register, you will need to provide proof of that, too, from the acceptable documentation list. All documents must be in English, and in your name. (English translation is also acceptable.) A foreign driver's license is not an approved form of identification.
    If you use documents from the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration/Naturalization Service, or Citizenship and Immigration Service, they will need to be approved by the Central Verification Process before a state ID card will be issued.
    You may receive a temporary ID document until that verification process has been completed. The fees for this are the same as listed above; if your identification documents are approved, your state ID card will be mailed to you.
    If your identification isn't approved, you will receive a letter explaining the steps to appeal that decision; however, you will not be eligible to apply for a refund.

Edit: The requirements for documentation for the license or the ID are identical.

Last edited:
    Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom