• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great parenting! He must think about what he would tell her parents if anything happened. He's responsible for her as long as she is with him and that's a lot of weight, but that's part of having a girlfriend.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    My girl just turned 17 two weeks ago and doesn't even have her learner's permit yet. Up until a couple weeks ago, she's had no desire to do so, and even now she's not 100% convinced that she wants to.
    She keeps saying she's afraid she'll do something wrong and kill someone (cars are deadly).
    I jokingly told Jay that I was going to make him drive up and teach her, since he taught her how to shoot deadly guns.
    He took me up on it, and she's all for it, too... but not enough "for it" to get the permit yet. Ha.
    We'll see...
    I bet he doesn't let her go 107mph with his truck...

I'm going to be honest, I only got my drivers license a few weeks ago and I'm 22. I had zero desire and want to drive a car at that age (still don't want to either unless I need to) and never understood why all the other people at school wanted to waste their time and parents money on gas just to get to and from school when there's a perfectly good bus that goes too the school.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I guess you really never know what your kids do when they are out of your sight. We can only hope that at least some of the lessons we try to instill in our kids, come home to them in a fashion that makes an impression without killing them. One things for sure... If they do get away with some stuff, your chances of finding out sometime before your deathbed are slim and none.:):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    He plays tennis, wrestle's and baseball for his school, and plays on a 18 and under travel baseball team. He doesn't have time to get a real part time job. I told him as long as he maintains a "B" average and stays in sports, i will help on the vehicle,gas, ect...

And his new truck really isn't new. He went from a 94 f150 4x2 to a 97 S10 4x4. (our road gets NASTY in the winter)
    I understand that, I played sports in high school too and never had a job except in the summer. That is where I earned all the money to buy my first car... worked my butt off to do it too.

:twocents: Give 'em just enough to get a good start and leave the rest up to them.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Good for you and good thinking regarding the GPS. Speed kills and I for one would know after rolling my Chevy 7 times down a hill after I first got my license and that was only going about 80. I imagine, going any faster than that I wouldn't be sitting here right now.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    My girl just turned 17 two weeks ago and doesn't even have her learner's permit yet. Up until a couple weeks ago, she's had no desire to do so, and even now she's not 100% convinced that she wants to.
    She keeps saying she's afraid she'll do something wrong and kill someone (cars are deadly).
    I jokingly told Jay that I was going to make him drive up and teach her, since he taught her how to shoot deadly guns.
    He took me up on it, and she's all for it, too... but not enough "for it" to get the permit yet. Ha.
    We'll see...
    I bet he doesn't let her go 107mph with his truck...

Not a problem, I expect mini to drive just like she shoots..... very well !! :patriot:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I'm going to be honest, I only got my drivers license a few weeks ago and I'm 22. I had zero desire and want to drive a car at that age (still don't want to either unless I need to) and never understood why all the other people at school wanted to waste their time and parents money on gas just to get to and from school when there's a perfectly good bus that goes too the school.

:+1:I also don't have much of a desire to drive. I'm 17yrs old and on my second permit, and when it expires, i'll get a third. The main reason I won't go get my license is I don't have money for insurance. I checked with our insurance company and they said 550 dollars every six months. I don't have that kinda money, and even if I did, I would rather buy a new gun with it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I think that 99% of us on here can't honestly say that we didn't do something along those lines when we were that age.
    Oh...understood. I did it...you probably did it and so have most young boys. But I know what would have happened had the old man caught me. I'd have bee wearing out the leather on my shoes hiking down the road to where I needed to be.

Had I caught my son...he'd have been doing the same thing. I am not foolish enough to think he didn't do such things...but he was well aware of the consequences.

I drove 140mph in a Chevelle when I was younger. Sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. :nuts:
    On purpose???? :):

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hopefully you or your wife did not tell him how you knew how fast he was going!

I had a beater for my first car, it was then wrecked once or twice............. If you ask me no younger driver should have a new car or truck.... because chances are it will just get wrecked.

I did not have anything nice untill I was like 22.

When my son is older he will also have a beater...... my first beater did not like going above 80mph much........... my dad was and is wise in letting me have something slow back then.

Car Crashes Leading Cause of Teen Deaths in U.S. - Yahoo! News

Last edited:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Caught my 18yo daughter(step) picking up friends from school when supposed to be running errands and neighbors called about her speeding in my truck. Wife wanted to blow it off then the daughter backed into a parked car. Back to taking cabs to work for her. Thank god she moved out before my insurance rate jumped $1k per year over the accident.

Gave her a 98 buick which she proceded to sell for 150 cuz she couldn't plate or insure it. Now wishes she had a car.:rolleyes:

Kid knows everything... Just ask her.:n00b:

Great going on proving your point. Too bad it changes nothing since kids will do whatever they choose and we end up funding it or hearing how great other parents like you are that buy them all the bells and whistles.;)

Hope the OP has better luck getting them to learn about life without having to get racked over every lesson.

Last edited:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I think that 99% of us on here can't honestly say that we didn't do something along those lines when we were that age.

I've already informed him that the next time, he'll be without a truck, and i'll have a new work truck that gets 10mpg more than the one i drive now. ;)

Been over 100 while driving one time. It was a rental though. Corollas can go 105 surprisingly! :D

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I had a 1978 Ford Thunderbird. Huge!! It did have a 302, but single barrel carb. It only registered 80 and I did every bit of that with it.
    My second car was a 1983 Mustang GT. While on the test drive my dad said, "I think this is too much car for you." I only kinda wrecked it once....

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Did he deny it?

Do you know that the 107mph is correct?

My GPS told me I hit 61mph the other day..... on my bicycle.

He swore up and down he wasn't going 107............but he admitted going "ninety something" :n00b:

I told him that i just didn't see much difference between 99 and 107! ;)

Kid knows everything... Just ask her.:n00b:

Great going on proving your point. Too bad it changes nothing since kids will do whatever they choose and we end up funding it or hearing how great other parents like you are that buy them all the bells and whistles.;)

Hope the OP has better luck getting them to learn about life without having to get racked over every lesson.

:faint: I know how that is......i also have a thirteen year old step daughter that is 1000 times worse at knowing everything than my stepson ever thought about being.

And yes, i get so tired of hearing how "bad" they have it just because we don't let them do whatever, whenever they want.

Oh yes, they have it so rough with their cell phones, ipods, tv's, new batting cage and pitching machine in the back yard, pool, boat and camper in the side yard, ect....

I don't know how i ever survived when i was young! :n00b:

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Here, show him these...

n161503108_30558514_2694.jpg

n161503108_30558512_2020.jpg

n161503108_30558511_1696.jpg

n161503108_30558510_1377.jpg

This was at roughly 105 Mph. A friend and I were 'cruising', and out of no where, this was happening. I ran under his car on the first flip. He flipped three more times before hitting a telephone pole about half way up, and then landing exactly how you see the car in the pictures.

Just don't tell him he lived, and only suffered a small scratch as he was climbing out the back... : x

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    On sunday, we picked his girlfriend up and she stayed most of the day at our house. Around 9 or so, we told him it was time for her to go home... She lives about 10 miles from us, so i said be back no later than 10. Around 10:15, he came pulling in, and went to his room.

Averaging 60 MPH, it would take 20 mins to take her home and get back. At 30 MPH, it would take 40 mins to take her home and get back. Sounds like he was gone for around 60 mins., give or take. Maybe if you give them a little more time to finish their business, he won't need to drive so fast to get her home, then make it back before curfew. If you really want to shock your wife, install a hidden camera next time. :laugh:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Averaging 60 MPH, it would take 20 mins to take her home and get back. At 30 MPH, it would take 40 mins to take her home and get back. Sounds like he was gone for around 60 mins., give or take. Maybe if you give them a little more time to finish their business, he won't need to drive so fast to get her home, then make it back before curfew. If you really want to shock your wife, install a hidden camera next time. :laugh:

Rep for the very good points.......... I was that age once........ you either speed to show of or speed to "speed extra alone time" with someone.

Maybe he wanted to take the jeep so that they could crawl into the back...... warmer then being in the bed of a truck......... Id go back and look for latex or something.........

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I would say that 99% of us DID DO THIS
    I know I did I know my buddies did
    Some of us have seemd to forget what it wa slike to be that age
    Yes I know things are different know Insurance, spped laws and everything else
    I'm not condoning it But I know kids will be kids
    The main difference today the price to pay is WAY MUCH HIGHER

I've already informed him that the next time, he'll be without a truck, and i'll have a new work truck that gets 10mpg more than the one i drive now. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Technically, since he went more than 88 mph in a Grand Cherokee, you shouldn't punish him for being fifteen minutes late, because I'm pretty sure he got to go back in time.

Top Bottom