• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    My wife has been on my case about me not letting our son drive our vehicles since he got his licence in november. I told her that i know how i was at that age and didn't want him tearing up our rides when he has a truck of his own. Well, last week we got him a new truck, and i got ahead of myself and sold his old truck before we could get plates for his new one. On sunday, we picked his girlfriend up and she stayed most of the day at our house. Around 9 or so, we told him it was time for her to go home, and he wanted to take my wife's 08 grand cherokee to run her home. Being the sneaky guy that i am :shady: , i put my GPS in the back and told him to take her home and come right back. She lives about 10 miles from us, so i said be back no later than 10. I then went in and told my wife what i did, and we'd see who was right. :D Around 10:15, he came pulling in, and went to his room. I went out to the garage, grabbed the gps, and what would you know....Max speed 107 MPH!! :eek:. At this point, i just went in, sat the gps on her lap, and said this is why he doesn't drive my truck. I went to the couch, sat down and waited for the fireworks to begin. :popcorn: We had a little chat about how all it would take was a deer, raccoon, ect. to run out and he'd be done for. I've been on a vol. fire dept for 10 years, and have seen it first hand. So she informed him he is no longer allowed to look, let alone drive one of our vehicles untill he learns to obey the speed limits. Oh, and he is riding the bus for the next few weeks. It feels good to be right for once. :cheers:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My wife has been on my case about me not letting our son drive our vehicles since he got his licence in november. I told her that i know how i was at that age and didn't want him tearing up our rides when he has a truck of his own. Well, last week we got him a new truck, and i got ahead of myself and sold his old truck before we could get plates for his new one. On sunday, we picked his girlfriend up and she stayed most of the day at our house. Around 9 or so, we told him it was time for her to go home, and he wanted to take my wife's 08 grand cherokee to run her home. Being the sneaky guy that i am :shady: , i put my GPS in the back and told him to take her home and come right back. She lives about 10 miles from us, so i said be back no later than 10. I then went in and told my wife what i did, and we'd see who was right. :D Around 10:15, he came pulling in, and went to his room. I went out to the garage, grabbed the gps, and what would you know....Max speed 107 MPH!! :eek:. At this point, i just went in, sat the gps on her lap, and said this is why he doesn't drive my truck. I went to the couch, sat down and waited for the fireworks to begin. :popcorn: We had a little chat about how all it would take was a deer, raccoon, ect. to run out and he'd be done for. I've been on a vol. fire dept for 10 years, and have seen it first hand. So she informed him he is no longer allowed to look, let alone drive one of our vehicles untill he learns to obey the speed limits. Oh, and he is riding the bus for the next few weeks. It feels good to be right for once. :cheers:

107?!?!?!?!?!?!? What's the max speed between your house and your son's gf?

Good on you for being a responsible and intuitive parent...It sounds like your son is too immature to be behind the wheel; it's probably best you keep him from driving for ahile.

BTW, you told him to be home by 10:00...Isn't that the curfew for a new driver anyway?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wow, he wanted to get home quick! I didn't know a Cherokee would go 107 w/o blowing up. j/k... Hopefully he learned something.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    107?!?!?!?!?!?!? What's the max speed between your house and your son's gf?

Good on you for being a responsible and intuitive parent...It sounds like your son is too immature to be behind the wheel; it's probably best you keep him from driving for ahile.

BTW, you told him to be home by 10:00...Isn't that the curfew for a new driver anyway?

It's all open country roads between our house and hers, one is about 3 miles long, and straight as an arrow.

As far as curfew goes, i think your right. School night's are 10pm if i remember right. He said he was going fast because he didn't realize what time it was when he was leaving her house and didn't want to get in trouble for being late.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I'd also sell that new truck...but that's just me.

:laugh: Way back in the "old days" my brother did the same stupid thing, but without GPS, it was a neighbor who saw him speeding and driving recklessly. Dad took his car and stored it at my Aunt's house for a month. Told him he sold it! Dad told him if he wanted to speed, he could speed on a 10 speed bike!

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I'd also sell that new truck...but that's just me.

I think that 99% of us on here can't honestly say that we didn't do something along those lines when we were that age.

I've already informed him that the next time, he'll be without a truck, and i'll have a new work truck that gets 10mpg more than the one i drive now. ;)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My girl just turned 17 two weeks ago and doesn't even have her learner's permit yet. Up until a couple weeks ago, she's had no desire to do so, and even now she's not 100% convinced that she wants to.
    She keeps saying she's afraid she'll do something wrong and kill someone (cars are deadly).
    I jokingly told Jay that I was going to make him drive up and teach her, since he taught her how to shoot deadly guns.
    He took me up on it, and she's all for it, too... but not enough "for it" to get the permit yet. Ha.
    We'll see...
    I bet he doesn't let her go 107mph with his truck...

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Atta boy. Bet son and mom learn something from this. Back in the days when I done things like that there wasnt as many cars on the road. And when I got caught lost my ride for about a month. It hurt my pride but it dont matter could hurt or killed somebody. Dont even want to about the things I saw as a EMT and firefighter. Things happen and you dont want to see these things happen to loved ones.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    107? Dang .... when I got my license I couldn't hit that speed if I tried (and believe me, I tried it on a couple occasions)

I got the old family car... 1983 Olds... with 240,000+ miles on it. She was a tired old thing, a big boat, and glided through the air like a brick wall would go through water...

On a 3 mile long stretch of straight flat country road I hammered it. It took me 1 1/2 miles to get it maxed out at a whopping 88 mph. :laugh::laugh:

I never did break the 100 mph barrier until I bought my own car (it shuts down at 110). That is the fastest I've ever driven. I'm not exactly proud of it but those were my young and dumb days.

I'm not trying to tell you how to be a parent here, but I honestly believe your first mistake was that you bought him a vehicle. I would give him $250 to help purchase a vehicle and he has 2 basic options with that $250. #1 He goes and buys a junker that won't go that fast, or #2 He saves up his money and buys something nice. Because he had to work hard for that money (I would hope he had to work for it) he will appreciate the vehicle more, take care of it, and not abuse it like that.

That is exactly the treatment my kids will get. I'll give them a little money to help them get a vehicle, if they want a nicer one they're going to have to come up with the money. That is how I started and I'm thankful for it. I started with the POS old family car that was on it's last leg and I saved up my money and paid cash for my car when I bought it.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I'm not trying to tell you how to be a parent here, but I honestly believe your first mistake was that you bought him a vehicle. I would give him $250 to help purchase a vehicle and he has 2 basic options with that $250. #1 He goes and buys a junker that won't go that fast, or #2 He saves up his money and buys something nice. Because he had to work hard for that money (I would hope he had to work for it) he will appreciate the vehicle more, take care of it, and not abuse it like that.

He plays tennis, wrestle's and baseball for his school, and plays on a 18 and under travel baseball team. He doesn't have time to get a real part time job. I told him as long as he maintains a "B" average and stays in sports, i will help on the vehicle,gas, ect...

And his new truck really isn't new. He went from a 94 f150 4x2 to a 97 S10 4x4. (our road gets NASTY in the winter)

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I drove 140mph in a Chevelle when I was younger. Sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. :nuts:

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    Have your insurance company send you a quote showing what your premium will be with a wrecklass driving charge on it . I have a son that will be 16 in august and already have a gps and am planning on doing the same thing.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My daughter wants to learn to drive a manual transmission, which I think is great, unfortunatly, the only car I have is my Triumph TR8 (in my avatar). It has a "slightly" modified 3.5 aluminum V8... I am afraid... very afraid...

I told her I would be glad to teach her, but if she thinks she is taking that sucker out on the streets by herself for a long time, she is nucking futs. I used to race it back in the 80's and know what it is capable of. Back then I didnt have the distractions of cell phones and still barely survived my 20's.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    You did what!!! What an invasion of privacy! How could you do such a horrible thing! Thats going to tramatize the boy for the rest of his life!

That is a great idea! A big +1 for being a good parent!:yesway:

Top Bottom