• ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Are gay monkeys an abomination?

I just want to clarify this. Are you implying that you believe (or may be playing devils advocate) that what is natural is right?

Either way, I have a question. Are "moral" and "right" the same?

And only if we intend to maintain the monkeys discussion: where do we find information about "homosexual" monkeys (or penguins)?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a crisp, fresh off the press $20 bill for anyone who can come up with something, anything that I can claim causes me some sort of victimization which I can then use to rally support for my cause with the ultimate goal being that I can do whatever the hell I want because rules no longer apply to me.

I'm serious as can be. Get it right enough so that my quality of life skyrockets and there will most likely be continued income from my happiness.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Right, or wrong, or moral?

There is only one standard that any civilized people can use to determine these things, and that is harm.

Can it ever be just or moral to interfere with another person who is harming no one, especially when your sole motivation for doing so is to force that person to adhere to your ​religious beliefs?

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/11/scientists-may-have-finally-unlocked-puzzle-of-why-people-are-gay

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/04/gay-brothers/480117/

I read the article. I believe that if you were to read it as something you had to make a solid stand on that you would choose not to.

It is almost as if instead of accepting something that is already well proven there are many who would go to great lengths to attempt proving something else in a direction simply to allow people to do what they want without conscience or social/legal ramifications.

What's the real fear? A standard of excellence? An actual measuring stick that can't be met?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I read the article. I believe that if you were to read it as something you had to make a solid stand on that you would choose not to.

It is almost as if instead of accepting something that is already well proven there are many who would go to great lengths to attempt proving something else in a direction simply to allow people to do what they want without conscience or social/legal ramifications.

What's the real fear? A standard of excellence? An actual measuring stick that can't be met?

There is a measuring stick, and it can be met.

You may be doing something I don't like. You may be doing something that flies in the face of my most devoutly held religious beliefs. You may even be doing something I find revolting.

But unless you are doing something that causes me some kind of tangible harm I have no right to interfere with you.

As long as you do not harm me I will agree to not harm you. No civilized person needs a religion beyond this.

And if your religion mandates that you violate this standard then IT has no place among a civilized people.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Right, or wrong, or moral?

There is only one standard that any civilized people can use to determine these things, and that is harm.

Can it ever be just or moral to interfere with another person who is harming no one, especially when your sole motivation for doing so is to force that person to adhere to your ​religious beliefs?

What do you mean by "harm"? Let's first ensure it is defined. Then do you mean spiritual? Physical? Emotional? Mental?

I'd prefer to keep this a bit narrow for now but if you'd rather broaden our scope let's define "just"and "moral" as well. I'll leave the breadth up to you.

I am appreciative of your effort and courtesy here. Thank you.

Top Bottom