• ...and so much more!
  • browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Steelman,
    Rhino was unable to attend.
    In his honor we harassed his friend Kirk with "limey" jokes.
    Just to be fair we also harrassed our resident italian american musician.

Its not the petard that gets hoisted.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

Thanks to all who came out to play.
    We had a good day.
    I hope the new shooters had fun and will come out to play again.

Pinheads was interesting with two 22 rifles present.
    One high tech black rifle looking piece and an old school pump action going face to face.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Steelman,
    Rhino was unable to attend.
    In his honor we harassed his friend Kirk with "limey" jokes.
    Just to be fair we also harrassed our resident italian american musician.

Its not the petard that gets hoisted.
    Petard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to all who came out to play.
    We had a good day.
    I hope the new shooters had fun and will come out to play again.

Pinheads was interesting with two 22 rifles present.
    One high tech black rifle looking piece and an old school pump action going face to face.

Well i intend to make it out SOMETIME when work schedule allows.

So much for my attempt at subtle innuendos. :):

Haven't met Kirk, but look forward to doing so.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, BD2 ... does Mrs. D still bring her incredibly good baked goods to share? It's worth going just for that!

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Rhino,

Mrs D has a job now and not so much time to bake.
    I imagine it gets expensive too.
    While all of those items were delicious,
    I especially enjoyed the Chocolate Chip cookies.

Bowling Pins would be happy to purchase the ingredients
    if she were inclined (begged) to bake some more.

Last month was the picnic. We had a major feast after the match.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I missed it all! I MISSED IT ALL!!!

It's too bad Mrs. D works on Sundays. We never get to see her at RileyCC on 3rd Sunday anymore, but Mr. D is still a regular!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What a wonderful time.:)

We had a "blast". Shooting guns and living in America, does not get any better than that. Thanks to all MCF&G members for making us feel welcomed and all their hospitality. Great to meet such wonderful new friends.

Sorry we had to miss lunch, but my friend had to get to Beech Grove firearms to pick up a pistol. She was very excited about the shoot and talked about it at our late lunch at a sushi joint.

We'll be back. Maybe rhino will grace us with his presence next time?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    My son and I dropped by and watched from a distance for a few minutes. That looks like lots of fun. As soon as my carry license comes through, I'll want to give it a whirl. Well, maybe I'll wait long enough to learn to shoot the thing straight, first.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    rmcrob,

If you are new to handgun shooting, I would suggest that you do wait a while before jumping into to competetive shooting. Consider taking a basic firearms safety class and a fundamentals of pistol shooting class. Take a while to get used to your pistol and know where the bullet hits the target relative to the sight picture. Get comfortable making magazine changes (this can be done witrh a empty magazines in the comfort of your own home - close the blinds first). Then come out ot play.

If you are not new to handgun shooting, scratch that, come on out to play. At your first match be focused on safe firearms handling and getting familiar with the format. Go slow. Speed will come in time.

I must warn you that bowling pin shooting is addictive.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am new to handguns. I have quite a bit of rifle experience, but it has probably expired by now. I can't remember if I have ever fired a handgun.

I wanted a handgun for protection, thinking I would just keep it at home. Then I started reading and got kind of excited about the whole world of handguns. I applied for my carry license in August. I keep reading more and more stuff and getting more and more jazzed about it.

Then along comes this board. (I know, the board was here before, but I just found it.) And I found out that there are cool opportunities right here in our area.

I wouldn't come out for bowling pins until I'm ready, if for no other reason than that I am averse to total embarrassment. My earlier comment was more of a joke. But it does look like loads of fun and I am anxious to get to the point where I can compete. I'm an old man, but I'm not done yet.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    rmcrob,

If you watched long enough, you might of seen several of us embarass ourselves. But it does not stop us.

A few years ago I ocassionally won a bracket, but now I do not even come close. Part of that is lack of practice, and some is faulty fundamentals. Also, many of our shooters have greatly improved.

We all had to start out sometime. We understand that it takes a while to get the hang of this game. Once you are comfortable do come out to play (safe).

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wouldn't come out for bowling pins until I'm ready, if for no other reason than that I am averse to total embarrassment.

We all get our ass handed to us every now and then. I have had days that I was on fire and days that I felt I would have done a better job just throwing the gun at the pins. Most days are somewhere in between.

As with all gun matches, safety is number one. So get used to keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times and get very familiar with how your gun operates. Also, grow a thick skin. We all get corrected at some point (I know I have). Keep in mind that the RO isn't trying to be mean by pointing out your mistakes, just trying to keep people safe.

Working at a gun range, I have seen all kinds of safety violations (and have quickly tried to fix them) and one I see a lot among newer shooter is the "turning the gun 90 degrees when trying to clear the gun" mistake. That is they turn the gun so the barrel is parallel to the body (pointing to the left or right side) when racking the slide for almost any reason. You do get more leverage by putting the gun in that position, but you also wind up pointing a gun at the person(s) next to you on the firing line. If you want to use that method, turn your body 90 degress and then do it so the muzzle stays pointing down range.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    don't let the "old man" thing get in the way. I've got silver hair, tri-focals and hearing aids but I'm still shooting at bowling pins and Friday Nite Steel whenever I can. One of our regulars is in his 70's but is still very competitive at pins and at the Glock matches too. Us old guys got to stick togeather.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's time to retell the "The Day I Got Waxed by an 80 Year Old with a Ruger Vaquero."

A few years ago I was shooting pins at MCF&G. I happened to get matched with a guy was (I was told) over 80 years old. He came to the line with a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt.

So, being the kind-hearted soul that I am, I decided to "take it easy" on him. So while I was casually making noise and missing my pins, I noticed with my peripheral vision that the guy had one pin left on his table and he was reloading.

Now, it take a long time to reload a single action six-gun, but I panicked anyway. I reloaded my 1911 and started trying to hit the pins as fast as I could, and naturally I kept missing.

Then his last pin hit the ground. I still had pins on the table.

Yeah, not only did he beat me, but he had time to reload his Vaquero with all six rounds before he did it.

:D

Top Bottom