• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    So, my wife basically forced me to go out last night. I had last week off work and I hardly left the house. Got a bunch of stuff done that I haven't had time to do.........anyway......my buddies band was playing at a local bar. I figured I'd go have a beer, check out a few songs, and head home. I wasn't in the mood for a party. My personal rule for carrying and alcohol is 2 drinks. If I am legal to drive, then i feel comfortable carrying. If I am having a "night out on the town," then the gun stays at home and I make other self-defense plans......So, in this case, I left my .45 at home and carried my LCP in a right-front pocket holster as a primary. In my left front pocket I had a 5" lockback blade that clips onto the inside of the pocket.

I don't frequent the bars in NWI, so I am not too familiar with rules and clientele of most of the bars. That being said, I made sure to look for "no weapons" signs or the like as I entered. I saw nothing. The bouncer checked my I.D. and I headed to the bar for a beer. I then stood right in front of my buddies band and watched them. I wasn't there for 5min when a muscleman bouncer came up and pulled me to the side. The exchange was as follows.....

Bouncer: "You need to put the knife in your car, or leave the premises."

Me: suprised.."Oh,okay...I'll go put it in the car. Do you guys have a sign or something that states your policies on weapons? I didn't see anything."

Bouncer: "You need to put the knife in the car or leave!"

Me: "I will sir, I just wanted to know if there was a sign that I missed. I'd like to read it."

Bouncer: <points to a sign on the wall>...to the best of my recollection, it reads..........No Hoods Up, No Chains, No Skull Caps......then at the bottom it says that the bar reserves the right to ask anyone to leave.

Me: "I'm not seeing where that sign says anything about knives."

Bouncer: "The bottom says I can kick anyone out that I want to.....go put the knife in the car."

Me: "No problem sir. I would like to make a suggestion that you could pass on to your manager. If you have a no-knife policy, it would probably be a good idea to put it on your sign."

Bouncer: "We don't put it on the sign because it will scare customers off when they see the word knife. They might think we have a knife problem."

Me: laugh..;"Cool man, I'll go put the knife in the car. I wasn't trying to be difficult. I'll be right back...thanks."

Bouncer: "No problem"

So....the knife went into the car and me and my LCP returned to the bar to finish our nights excursion. As I sat at the bar for the next hour, I watched everyone around me. I watched security patrol and look at pockets, tell people to remove there hats, etc. I made a note to myself to never go to that bar again...(although they did have Bell's 2-Hearted on tap which is my fav)...So what did I learn?....well, if you don't know a places policies, especially at a bar, conceal deeply. I only had the knife clip showing on my pocket. It could have been any number of things, but the bouncer knew. I still get the feeling that because of the lack of signage, that the place may have had the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Anyway, the bouncer was overall as cool as a bouncer can be about it, and he didn't notice the pistol in my pocket, which gave me further confidence that my LCP does not noticeably print:D

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Ive run into the same sorta situation at a bar in west lafayette. My knife wasn't seen, but my friends was. Bouncer told him to get rid of it or leave. We walked there so we couldn't put it in a car, so we just went around the corner and put our knives in our pockets without being clipped on. After that I just started keeping a S&W boot knife clipped to my waistband in-side the pants at 12:30. But that was the only bar Ive ever had trouble at.
    BTW...good drinking/carrying policy. I have the same.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a situation where you step outside, move the knife from you pocket to inside your waistband, wait a while, then go back inside. :D

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    At my age, I've had my fun at bars from customer to playing drums in bands.You couldn't pay me to go to ANY bar for ANY reason today. Just like I won't even drink one beer if I have to drive that day. Performing Act 4 from"OKLAHOMA!' to prove I'm sober to a cop doesn't look like any more fun than dealing with bouncer who makes up the rules as they want.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    This is a situation where you step outside, move the knife from you pocket to inside your waistband, wait a while, then go back inside. :D

Yeah...I thought about it. I told him that I would put it in the car and in the interest of honesty, I did. However, I learned my lesson for the future. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good point about honesty. That's why I won't commit to doing something I don't intend to do.

So ... in this case, for instance, one could say, "I'll be right back." You will be right back and you didn't agree to a damn thing. What the bouncer doesn't know is none of his business.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Good point about honesty. That's why I won't commit to doing something I don't intend to do.

So ... in this case, for instance, one could say, "I'll be right back." You will be right back and you didn't agree to a damn thing. What the bouncer doesn't know is none of his business.

Crafty little devil you are:D....Very true. I don't have much experience with this sort of encounter yet, so hopefully I will think of that if the situation arises again. I have learned a lesson to keep even knives completely concealed in unknown territory.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have learned a lesson to keep even knives completely concealed in unknown territory.

I have tried to change my wardrobe to always have a shirt, sweater, fleece, etc. that covers my jeans pockets. I don't need anyone seeing pocket carry gear, much less what's on the belt.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have tried to change my wardrobe to always have a shirt, sweater, fleece, etc. that covers my jeans pockets. I don't need anyone seeing pocket carry gear, much less what's on the belt.

I do the same thing.....I even had a hoodie on that pretty much covers my pockets. The fact that he noticed it was pretty impressive on his part.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

[MENTAL NOTE] Watch out for Rhino and literal, but evasive, answers. [/MENTAL NOTE] :):;)

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    what troubles me is they are ONLY concerned about the obvious!!! Until I started doing research and taking interest have I noticed how many people CC and OC, I was always raised if you have something to hide then your up to no good!!! Props on keeping your cool....

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    what troubles me is they are ONLY concerned about the obvious!!! Until I started doing research and taking interest have I noticed how many people CC and OC, I was always raised if you have something to hide then your up to no good!!! Props on keeping your cool....

True, but aside from metal detectors and random searches, they have no way of knowing I conceal. And they never will unless I enounter a life-threatening situation. Private business or security guards are not even legally allowed to search you without consent, unless it is at the entrance of the establishment and you have a choice of whether to consent or leave. NEVER let a security guard...even if he is an off duty cop, search your person or vehicle! On-duty LEO are the only ones with this authority.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I say nice way to handle the situation. Glad it worked out for you. This is a big reason I do not like to go out to bars, because I too will not carry if I have more than 2 drinks. I do not like to be unarmed so I just don't go out very much.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I say nice way to handle the situation. Glad it worked out for you. This is a big reason I do not like to go out to bars, because I too will not carry if I have more than 2 drinks. I do not like to be unarmed so I just don't go out very much.

Yeah...this bar was definitely not my style. I'd rather stay at home with friends and family:yesway:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I spent most of my adult life in Kansas. If everyone who carried a knife was asked to leave a bar there would not be anybody in there drinking any beer.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Thanks for the heads-up Groovatron. I haven't made my way to Growler's yet, but I probably will soon. My g/f went to see History's End this past weekend and a friend in the band is playing acoustic at Growler's every week. He told my g/f to come jam with him. Probably won't have as tight security for acoustic night, but I'll be sure to deep CC and maybe even take the pocket clip off one of my knives.

Top Bottom