• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It also depends on the gun your are cleaning. I waited a while (550 bulk pack) on my 10-22 and the bore snake got it awesomely clean.

It probably depends on your solvent as well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Brush and rod is always a better cleaning, especially if you've got build up in the rifling grooves of your lands and grooves. Scrub it, wet patch, dry patch....pull new patches through til they come out clean.

Boresnakes are made of colored nylon...nylon traps the crud and you'll pull it right back through on your next pass. Not to mention since they are colored, how can you tell if it's coming out clean or not?

Best option for a quick range time clean if you're not needing to scrub things out is a PatchWorm, in my experience.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just bought and tried out a Boresnake about a week ago. The gun (K31 Swiss) had been cleaned well prior to firing about 20 - 30 rounds to sight in the scope. I ran the new Boresnake through the gun using a solvent on the part before the brush and CLP beyond the brush. Ran it through 3 or 4 times, as you can't tell from the color if it really cleaned it. Then checked the results by running a rod through with brush and solvent then patch - was somewhat surprised that the patch really came out clean. The Boresnake did do the job, Think it will be an addition to our existing cleaning methods rather than a total solution. Don't know how it will work after it is used a while nor when it will require washing yet.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Jet girl is right. Deep cleaning you cannt beat the brush. I don't like the bore snake for the same reason. I know when I pull my patches what's going on inside te barrel

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Seems a lot of hype on the boresnake lately. I can see that it is quicker, but I didn't think it was a better clean. I am content to stick with the brush and patch.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    On the topic of scrub, wet patch, dry patch ect... I was always taught WET patch first by my grandpa, dad and military BEFORE even thinking of a brush. If you just run a brush through right off the bat and there is something hard jn the barrel or action you will drag that hard particle through your barrel possibly damaging the barrel. If yoj wet patch first you will get some of the stuff out of the barrel and then be able to inspect it better to be sure there is nothing that will damage the barrel.
    Also the boresnake will do just fine if you practice proper maintenance techniques and dont let your firearms sit after firing. I know some people say they go several days, weeks or even months between cleanings but that is just being lazy and stupid. If you invest money in firearms you should clean them after every trip to the range or to the field. I even clean my carry weapon once a week if it is not fired just due to the crud that can be picked up during normal wear.
    There is no reason NOT to use a rod, brush and jag system along with an old tootbrush or other nylon bristled brush and plenty of solvent and oil. But I have went with just a boresnake, nylon brush, solvent and oil on many firearms with no problems. The boresnake does seem to work best for me if it is something like a ruger 10/22 where you have to insert the rod through the muzzle end the attach the brush and pull it through, or on my takedown 10/22 where the barrel comes off OR on my many 870s again where the barrel comes off.
    Before my bore snakes I used the OTIS system and always thought it would be great to have an all jn one system.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wonder why the High Class Target Shooters and bench rest shooters ignore the bore snake. Must be something there to learn by the rest.

The bore snake is fine for getting most carbon and loose debris out of your bore. Serious bench shooters will use a brush, jags and patches to make sure all deposits are removed from the barrel, including copper fouling. You can get all the carbon out and have the patches come out clean, but if you let your solvent sit in the bore for a while (15 minutes or so) and then run a patch through with a jag, you will probably find the patch coming out greenish blue. That is disolved copper deposits. It takes me at least an hour to completely clean my bench guns and get all the copper fouling out, even after only firing 25 or 30 rounds. Lead fouling can be even more difficult to remove.

I have bore snakes in all calibers and they are fine for quick passes through the bore, but you still need to use a brush and jags if you want a completely clean barrel. Also invest in a good bore guide and always clean from the chamber towards the muzzle, pushing all the crud out the end of the barrel.

BTW, the bore snakes can be placed inside an old sock and tossed in the washing machine along with a load of laundry. If you use Hoppes #9 on your bore snake, you will have the best smelling laundry at the range.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    BTW, the bore snakes can be placed inside an old sock and tossed in the washing machine along with a load of laundry. If you use Hoppes #9 on your bore snake, you will have the best smelling laundry at the range.

I do not wish to wash my cloths along with lead salt contaminated articles. Others may feel different about themselves and their families health.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Brush and rod is always a better cleaning, especially if you've got build up in the rifling grooves of your lands and grooves. Scrub it, wet patch, dry patch....pull new patches through til they come out clean.

Boresnakes are made of colored nylon...nylon traps the crud and you'll pull it right back through on your next pass. Not to mention since they are colored, how can you tell if it's coming out clean or not?

Best option for a quick range time clean if you're not needing to scrub things out is a PatchWorm, in my experience.

I have read reviews that the plastic end comes off the cord rather easily. Have you used a PatchWorm for very long?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Clean your barrel from the breach end to the muzzle end. If you reverse that, then you will bring crud into the chamber. Use the tool that works best. Otis has a cleaning tool that looks great. I need to get one.

Always clean in the direction the bullet travels.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do not wish to wash my cloths along with lead salt contaminated articles. Others may feel different about themselves and their families health.

So, do you throw away all your clothing after a day at the range? Your clothing probably contains more contamination than the bore snake.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    So, do you throw away all your clothing after a day at the range? Your clothing probably contains more contamination than the bore snake.

You are joking, right.

None of my clothing is dragged thru the barrel of any of my firearms where the lead salts are concentrated.

Your clothing probably contains more contamination than the bore snake.

Key word there is "probably", neither you nor I know that for sure. However it is a known fact that the bore snake is contaminated.

Do as you wish, as I said, Others may feel different about themselves and their families health.:dunno:

Top Bottom