• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    BTW, the bore snakes can be placed inside an old sock and tossed in the washing machine along with a load of laundry.

I do not wish to wash my cloths along with lead salt contaminated articles.
    Yeah, I never washed it with anything else either. And it seems that the bristles would get all gnarlied up in a cotton sock...

I just filled a Mason jar with hot soapy water, dropped in the snake and shook the crap out of it (literally).
    Rinse it til it runs clear and toss it over a shower rod overnight.

I have read reviews that the plastic end comes off the cord rather easily. Have you used a PatchWorm for very long?
    Edit:
    OHhhh..."PatchWorm"..I thought you were asking about the end of a BoreSnake (until I re-read).
    Yeah, I've used the same PatchWorm for about 8 years now. I keep buying others as back ups in case it breaks some day, but somehow I end up giving them away all the time.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Boresnake

The boresnake is quick and easy, but you really need to do it the old fashioned way to get a truly clean barrel. The difference between the two methods may not matter in a newer gun with non-corrosive ammo, but on older guns and dirty ammo, I would not rely on the boresnake.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yeah, I never washed it with anything else either. And it seems that the bristles would get all gnarlied up in a cotton sock...

I just filled a Mason jar with hot soapy water, dropped in the snake and shook the crap out of it (literally).

Edit:
    OHhhh..."PatchWorm"..I thought you were asking about the end of a BoreSnake (until I re-read).
    Yeah, I've used the same PatchWorm for about 8 years now. I keep buying others as back ups in case it breaks some day, but somehow I end up giving them away all the time.

Thanks for the info, the PatchWorm seems like its worth checking out and possible addition to the BOB bag.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I use a boresnake and rods. At the range, I spray a bunch of gunzilla down the bore then prop the rifle up in a rifle rack, muzzle down, until the gunzilla is coming out the muzzle--which gives it a few minutes to soak in while the barrel is still warm.

Then I run the boresnake through twice (chamber to muzzle) before packing it up.

Unless I'm running corrosive ammo, I feel better about putting off the "thorough cleaning" with the rod, patch, & jag for a couple days (or weeks) :rolleyes:

I don't consider the boresnake a replacement for rodding the barrel, but doing this has made it much quicker to clean up at home, whenever I get around to it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Edit:

Not to just bring back to life an old thread but I tried the Patch Worm on JetGirl's recommendation. I had not tired this in the past because of the first hand reports of the plastic end coming off.

Well I tired it and it works great. I can only see the plastic end comming off in one of two situations:

1. You use the wrong size cleaning head.
    2. You are a knucklehead and use either too big a patch or too many patches at one time.

This get up is not designed to replace a bore brush. Its a quick clean type of deal. I see it most useful for running a wet patch right after shooting before you go home, while the gun is still warm. Making a real clean up much easier. Also if you carry daily then you know no matter which method you use to carry or which holster you get dust and debris in your bore from simple exposure to the elements. This is a great tool to do a quick swab out of your carry weapon. It's very compact and fits in a shirt pocket.

Highly recommend the Patch Worm for minor maintenance. Thanks JetGirl :yesway:
    I am going to get a few of these kits and stick in various places, Bob bag, range bag etc...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not to just bring back to life an old thread but I tried the Patch Worm on JetGirl's recommendation. I had not tired this in the past because of the first hand reports of the plastic end coming off.

Well I tired it and it works great. I can only see the plastic end comming off in one of two situations:

1. You use the wrong size cleaning head.
    2. You are a knucklehead and use either too big a patch or too many patches at one time.

This get up is not designed to replace a bore brush. Its a quick clean type of deal. I see it most useful for running a wet patch right after shooting before you go home, while the gun is still warm. Making a real clean up much easier. Also if you carry daily then you know no matter which method you use to carry or which holster you get dust and debris in your bore from simple exposure to the elements. This is a great tool to do a quick swab out of your carry weapon. It's very compact and fits in a shirt pocket.

Highly recommend the Patch Worm for minor maintenance. Thanks JetGirl :yesway:
    I am going to get a few of these kits and stick in various places, Bob bag, range bag etc...
    Sweet. :yesway:

Top Bottom