• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I did most of my machining at work...but now I have my own milling machine and will be getting a lathe pretty soon. Now all I need is some new ideas. Yep, I got bored with the Mosins too, so I figured I would change them. This is 5 of 10 I have done....from wild to mild.

picture.php

Where did all your long ones go?:n00b:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Nice work!!!

I do plan on cutting the barrel down to 16.5 inches. But where does the barrel actually start? At the back of the chamber or the tip of the chamber?

Close the bolt and measure the barrel length with a wooden dowel rod. Before you cut the barrel you need to plan ahead...you will be cutting the front sight off and then you will need to cut the stock. Are you going to drill and tap for another sight or are you going to put on a scope mount? which also involves drilling and tapping. Also you will need to alter the bolt handle. Kinda like a snowball effect.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Close the bolt and measure the barrel length with a wooden dowel rod. Before you cut the barrel you need to plan ahead...you will be cutting the front sight off and then you will need to cut the stock. Are you going to drill and tap for another sight or are you going to put on a scope mount? which also involves drilling and tapping. Also you will need to alter the bolt handle. Kinda like a snowball effect.

Thanks! Ill use the dowel rod method.

As far as the sights go... im going to put a rail system up front where the iron sight is and use it for a red dot. Would that work well?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Thanks! Ill use the dowel rod method.

As far as the sights go... im going to put a rail system up front where the iron sight is and use it for a red dot. Would that work well?

I heard that they move and can't hold zero. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell more as I have never tried one of those mounts personally.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I heard that they move and can't hold zero. Maybe someone else can chime in and tell more as I have never tried one of those mounts personally.

Well i didnt buy it... I have an all steel picitanny rail from an old project. I was gonna use a tig welder and put it right on there. Then clean it up nice

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well i didnt buy it... I have an all steel picitanny rail from an old project. I was gonna use a tig welder and put it right on there. Then clean it up nice

Yeah...that would probably work ok. Also if you go on midwayusa they have a video on recrowning you barrel with a file and stuff.
    I cut and recrowned one of mine like that and it turned out great.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    paint or stain? that's up to you. If you have any questions about the Mosin stuff feel free to e-mail me.

Last edited:

DerFreischutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lafayette/Fort Wayne
    There are some really cool ideas on this thread. That 10rd magazine is impressive. Also, I'd love to shoot one of those center-balanced rifles, if not make the investment. Another direction you could go would be to make it into a scout rifle. I'm sure people have got a Mosin-Nagant at or close to Jeff Cooper's specifications, but there's surely room for creative modifications toward this end as well as optional features mentioned in the linked Wikipedia article.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    There are some really cool ideas on this thread. That 10rd magazine is impressive. Also, I'd love to shoot one of those center-balanced rifles, if not make the investment. Another direction you could go would be to make it into a scout rifle. I'm sure people have got a Mosin-Nagant at or close to Jeff Cooper's specifications, but there's surely room for creative modifications toward this end as well as optional features mentioned in the linked Wikipedia article.

Im kinda turning it into a scout rifle. Here is what ive decided....

Cutting the barrel down to 16.5" and recrown it.
    Cutting the stock down to right in front of the rear sight.
    Putting my piccitany rail on it with a red dot
    Painting the stock black and the metal FDE or OD

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "And how do i go about doing that? "

You could start with the INGO classifieds in the long guns section. Your ad would say something like; "WTT Mosin for an AK". Or something like that
    I said you gotta heat the Barrel up and then use a tubing bender I guess. Ask A German Veteran if any are still around. ;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Apparently even though you can search and find it easily, it's not well-known that if you actually REMOVE the rear site base itself, it sits on a 3/8" dovetail, you can either use .22 rings with a red-dot, or I have seen a weaver rail that clamps to a 3/8" dovetail, and it's a LOT more solid that using the rain that just pins into the base, that's the direction I'm going with mine.

BTW, if you use a Long Eye Relief scout-style scope with .22 rings on this doevtail, your scope is far enough forward you won't need a new bolt handle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWDJiJLlPg&feature=player_embedded#at=42

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Apparently even though you can search and find it easily, it's not well-known that if you actually REMOVE the rear site base itself, it sits on a 3/8" dovetail, you can either use .22 rings with a red-dot, or I have seen a weaver rail that clamps to a 3/8" dovetail, and it's a LOT more solid that using the rain that just pins into the base, that's the direction I'm going with mine.

BTW, if you use a Long Eye Relief scout-style scope with .22 rings on this doevtail, your scope is far enough forward you won't need a new bolt handle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWDJiJLlPg&feature=player_embedded#at=42

I didnt even know you could do that! I think i actually have some stuff for a 3/8 dovetail.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I didnt even know you could do that! I think i actually have some stuff for a 3/8 dovetail.

Exactly, there's a lot of stuff on it out there, but no one seems to have found it, .22 rings are easy to find, it's sturdier, and rifle can still be returned to original.

Caveat: I've read some Mosins have the rear sight base silver soldered on, and can require heat (to almost red) to soften the solder and get the base off after both pins are removed...

There's a YouTube video somewhere that shows them heating it...
    Here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=Z-y8lNlnLMM

Shows the shortening and recrown of the barrel and removing the rear sight base. He's doing it to blend the dovetail, but the same procedure applies to use the dovetail... He's got a good series of videos, check them out and might come up with more ideas!

Top Bottom