• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    unless you make a one way pass and take it off at the other end.
    ...bingo... all due respect, sir. the patchworm is a one-way pull-thru, similar to the bore snake.

To be sure, cleaning routines are highly subjective, and my opinions are just opinions, no more, no less.

In that vein, and all due respect....
    The CLP and the cotton in the Bore Snake hold the crap and debris in suspension, so they are NOT re-deposited in the barrel. One pass is enough.
    My hat is off to you sir. In 40 years of shooting, I can't recall one time that I've ever cleaned a bore in one pass of anything. You've got me there. :patriot:

Last edited:

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Bore snakes are a great way to clean between total takedown cleanings. I prefer to use mine when I'm not having to use copper solvent. I little #9 on and immediatley following the brush and your good to go. For copper fouling I prefer to use the conventional method of patches until no green is detected on the patch, tht way you're sure the bore is totally clean.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I use boresnakes often, and very rarely clean them out.... i am of the belief that the action needs wiped down after every range session and reoiled, and i will completely clean it when it gets really dirty... my barrels on the other hand stay pretty filthy.... a patch or two down to remove visible powder fouling and thats it.... a brush then patch's after every thousand rounds or so, and a copper solvent ONLY when accuracy starts to degrade... its my experience that chrome lined barrels like less copper fouling than do plain steel barrels, however i have found that a dirty steel barrel has provided me with the best accuracy.... to each their own as jay has said, but i wouldnt consider it UNDER cleaning to use a bore snake exclusively, however just having a boresnake should not prevent you from owning a good coated one piece rod, a brush, a jag, and a host of solvents.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I use a good cleaner, and some rem oil. Run it through the barrel 1-2 times, and then wash the snakes with warm water. They do an exelent job, and last forever.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ^^^^Do you ever clean the boresnake?

Or when do you need a new one?

I put it in the bath room sink with hot water and dish soap. Squeeze it until the water stops turning black, rinse the same with cold water, squeeze out the water and hang it over a nail in the utility room until dry.

I use it until it starts getting black 5 or 6 inches down and that's a long time. If I use one to polish a new barrel I'll clean it after that before using it again.

To use I spray a little bore cleaner on a few inches at the begining and a little oil on a few inches in the middle and pull it through the bore from breech to muzzle until I look down it and it looks new. Normally not more than a couple or three times.

I took the bristles out of my one I use on 22 caliber.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have a bore snake in my range bag, but it's for emergencies only. I use a Patchworm 90% of the time, and a coated rod with a boreguide for the rare stubborn issue. I view cleaning firearms like taking a shower. Each of us has his/her own method, and that's as it should be.

Bore snakes........ I don't really like 'em because once you make the first pass, the first couple of inches will carry any debris back through the bore on the second pass. Then the first three or four inches will carry debris down the bore on the third pass..... and like that.... Patchworms use the same principle, but you throw away the patch after each pass, instead of re-introducing potentially damaging debris with each pass.

Not gonna suggest how you should take a shower, and I'm not gonna tell anyone how to clean their firearm. This is just my take on one aspect of how I look at cleaning my firearms.

I've got a patch worm too and I can't disagree with a word you've said but I still have to admit I use my bore snake more than the patchworm and the boresnake is the "it" for shotguns. I never use anything else any more on any shotgun.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I run a bore snake through my shotgun after each use. However, once a month whether the gun has been fired or not I think they should be broken down and completly cleaned. I'm not big on the whole "oh just oil em up good before you put em up, theyll be good to go" as some people I know do. Lots of oil will cause it to get dirtier quicker imo.(especially when used frequently) Catches more small dust/debris,but to each their own :dunno:

I think the bore snakes are great to have around and use. quick and convenient, but theyre not a substitute for a full cleaning by any means. Doesnt hurt to coat em with anything before passing em through the barrel either as already said.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom