• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    So... what's the safer option?
    I guess they could have thrown officers at him until he ran out of bullets and then arrested him alive. I think that's the only option that would have made some happy with the outcome.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't care if there isn't a safer option. Hold the bunker with guns drawn. It's not like police have never encountered a bunkered shooter before. Again, our police are not a military force. They shouldn't even have access to some of the MRAPs, etc... that they have been getting their hands on. It's absolute ridiculousness. Again, this is not Afghanistan. Hell, next time, let's just drop a Tomahawk missile on the bunkered shooter. Stupidity is what this is. If the police force is not enough without military weaponry (tanks, bombs, missiles, etc...) they need to call in the national guard or some other ACTUAL military force. Cops, as much as some of them want to be, are NOT the military, and this is NOT ok. I'm 100% not OK with police having and utilizing weapons beyond what the public is allowed to own.
    So... what's the safer option?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I guess they could have thrown officers at him until he ran out of bullets and then arrested him alive. I think that's the only option that would have made some happy with the outcome.

That's impractical. Have you seen police officers? Some of them are quite large. VERY difficult to throw them very far, let alone over obstacles like cars or berms.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Dont think anyone is suggesting anything of the sort.

However, the precedence of a police force using bombs to kill dangerous suspects is something to be concerned about.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011

Why do you need him alive? what are you a peacenik?

Traditionally we teargas them until they burn to death.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. This opens up a VERY dangerous precedent. Police utilization of this type of weaponry is NOT a good thing.
    However, the precedence of a police force using bombs to kill dangerous suspects is something to be concerned about.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've got to join the "no bombs for the police" side. If **** is that bad, get the National Guard to come out. That's their real job, not going to fight in ****ing Iraq for the Feds.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Yea that's what is being argued...

I thought SWAT teams trained for exactly this, neutralizing an active shooter.
    I don't buy the 'any means necessary' I don't want our police armed like our military. A bomb may have worked in this very narrow scenario but I can just see local sheriffs reading this story, seeing the bit about the bomb carrying robot and thinking to themselves 'well that's a good idea'.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Agree. If the cops need military support, call the military. Bombs, missiles, tanks, etc... have no place in our police force. We are arguably moving towards a police state already. This is just exacerbating the problem.
    I've got to join the "no bombs for the police" side. If **** is that bad, get the National Guard to come out. That's their real job, not going to fight in ****ing Iraq for the Feds.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I can see the slippery slope, but it is so clear that there's little risk of actually falling down it.

This was a truly unique situation (hopefully). If Joebob Wifebeater is drunk and holed up in his double wide with his grandad's 12 gauge, I don't think the robobomber is going to be the go-to tactic.

If Joebob just shot a baker's dozen people and killed a few, admitted it, and threatened to do more, then... yeah, ok.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If they get enough petty drug busts, maybe they can get an MRAP to go along with their bombs. Or maybe we should continue giving military weaponry to sheriffs to protect their pumpkin festivals. Heck, the cops probably need the newest f-22.....because "any means necessary."
    Yea that's what is being argued... I thought SWAT teams trained for exactly this, neutralizing an active shooter. I don't buy the 'any means necessary' I don't want our police armed like our military. A bomb may have worked in this very narrow scenario but I can just see local sheriffs reading this story, seeing the bit about the bomb carrying robot and thinking to themselves 'well that's a good idea'.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Agree. If the cops need military support, call the military. Bombs, missiles, tanks, etc... have no place in our police force. We are arguably moving towards a police state already. This is just exacerbating the problem.
    I get the feeling if military assets had been called in we'd see even more gnashing of teeth on INGO than from the police using a bomb.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I get the feeling if military assets had been called in we'd see even more gnashing of teeth on INGO than from the police using a bomb.

I believe the point was that military weapons/tactics weren't necessary, if they were necessary then you need to call in the military to handle it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I am not OK with robotic bombs being used as a means of deadly force. Just the idea of an American police agency using a bomb to kill a suspect doesn't seem right. Don't get me wrong, I am OK with the suspect being neutralized and I am OK with the use of robotics to protect officers' lives, it is strictly the bomb element I have a problem with.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Let me twist it a bit. we are talking about a civilian (non-military) police force with bombs.

Shouldn't the general public have the same access to this kind of "self defense" also? do all of you feel comfortable sitting at McDonalds next to me with a grenade in my pocket?

Police don't get special rights. If deadly force is deadly force, I want my grenades. Give me bombs and I will withdraw my complaint.

Police don't have grenades. They used supplies available to EOD. And I'll say it again: boo ****ing hoo.

Top Bottom