• ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Hey all,

A friend of mine is looking at a bodyguard 380. And is looking to get some feedback before spending the money. Looking for the good, bad, and ugly from owners past and present or anyone with shooting experience. Thanks

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I can't belive I am going to say this but.....

Search.........this has been discussed repeatedly ad nauseum.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...irst_impressions_s_and_w_bodyguard_380_a.html

Just a new member, might not have known to search first, no big deal.

As for the BG, they are decent guns, if the person looking likes them and is OK with the price. My wife loves hers, and compared to my LCP, I kinda like the finish on the BG better, it seems to be more durable. As far as function and accuracy, the LCP, Kel tec, and S&W are on par with one another, but I give the Smith a slight edge in follow up shots, as it has a little more up front mass.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...irst_impressions_s_and_w_bodyguard_380_a.html

The Bodyguard is better than the LCP
    You should always CC and Never OC
    HiPoints are cheap because they're cheap
    AND Glocks Blow Up...
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

There we go... All the ad nauseum topics in one post...:rockwoot:

P.S. The first line that answered the Op's question probably shouldn't be purple because I actually believe that... And I've Owned Both... The rest were just for fun and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author of this post...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Just bought my wife the BG 380 and took it out a couple of days ago. I really liked it. The thing feels bigger in the hand than what it is. I was not a fan of the LCP, it just got lost in my palm and it felt, well, cheap to me.

The laser is a nice added feature, while not really all that practical, it made my wife feel more comfortable, and I enjoyed nailing the target where the light hit!

Now, the trigger pull takes some getting used to. My first few shots were so off it was crazy. That said, once you get used to it, it was about as accurate as a sub-compact can be.

Keep in mind we looked at about every sub-compact out there, and this one stood above the rest. Feels good in the hand, super small, and built very well. I actually carried it today, and almost forgot I even had it on me. LOL

Bottom line, I recommend it, and feel you can't go wrong with investing in this great little gun.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon

I didn't feel that this was rude..... As 45fan said, I'm a noob. I was not aware of a search function on the site. But like I said in the op, this was for a buddy. He is not a member of this group (although he should be as he is from ft wayne) and was going to pick one up yesterday, but was on the fence.

But, if this was meant to be rude, than scru you too....lol, jk:):

Thanks for all the input. This forum is great.:ingo:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I didn't feel that this was rude..... As 45fan said, I'm a noob. I was not aware of a search function on the site. But like I said in the op, this was for a buddy. He is not a member of this group (although he should be as he is from ft wayne) and was going to pick one up yesterday, but was on the fence.

But, if this was meant to be rude, than scru you too....lol, jk:):

Thanks for all the input. This forum is great.:ingo:
    I truly did not intend to be rude. Thanks for not taking it that way.

As for the OP, I have the BG380 and it is my new pocket favorite. It is MUCH better than the P3AT and LCP, in my opinion.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I bought a BG for my wife when they first came out. No problems here. Ive only had a couple failures to feed due to being dirty at the end of a shooting session (aprox 250rds) I love this gun the laser is dead on and has good sights for a smalll pistol. it eats hollow points and fmj no problem. Only thing i did was fixed the laser with the q-tip trick and it has worked perfect since. Mags are hard to find thats the only downside to this gun. But you can ordered them from the factory takes 4 weeks or so. :patriot:

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Could you elaborate on this comment please? Is there a problem with the laser that needs fixing or is this some hint to make it better?

I believe that Glock212327 is referring to one of the DIY fixes for people that believe the button(s) on their BG380 for the laser requires too high of an effort. Just Google "ultimate bodyguard 380 laser button fix" and you should find the thread. I think it is on the S&W forum.

I have a S&W BG 380 and I find that the effort for the laser is good for me. I like the gun. It shoots well, the sights are decent, it fits great in my hand, and the trigger pull is not as bad (i.e., l-o-n-g) as some of the other little 380's out there.

It is a good pocket gun. My only issue, I hardly carry it. I find myself selecting a larger handgun, which is ironic, since I purchased the BG for the summer months.

Hope this was helpful!

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I just now looked this gun up, (I know, I suck, but I started the thread for a friend) and it looks pretty sweet. A little expensive for my budget ($0, according to the wife), but maybe somewhere down the road, it may be an option.

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    Below is my post from another thread comparing the BG and the LCP.. Perhaps it's more appropriate here? :dunno:
    Sorry for the repeat post if that's a no-no in this forum!

I have a BG.
    I dont count on using the laser in the daylight. Although the gun has sights (unlike the LCP), the sights are all-steel with no distinguishing color, dots, or anything to help you quickly sight down the slide to get your vertical trajectory in line. Aftermarket sights are ONE answer to that problem (see previous posts in this thread). I chose another (cheaper) route and just went to a craft store, bought bright white enamel paint and a micro-tip applicator, and painted the front and rear. The factory grooves in the sights held the paint really well and helped in keeping the job looking professional (no curves due to unsteady hands). It made a huge difference in getting on target faster.

As far as the laser goes, it's there and I like it, but doesn't instantly come on like I would like it to... no pressure switch, etc. You have to consciously reach for the button, find it and push it. That's not something that you need to concentrate on in a heated situation when fractions of seconds count. That would be my first suggestion for improvement should S&W come calling looking for my opinion... add a pressure switch in the grip.

Performance has been consistent... has gone 'bang' every pull. But when trying to fire off multiple rounds quickly, the long & somewhat stiff trigger pull makes it difficult to keep them grouped. I get good groups at about 20 feet for a pistol of that size when taking a little more time.

Just my :twocents: on the BG

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    My dad just bought one. At the range I was shooting his Glock and decided to give it a try. The long trigger pull took some getting used as I had trouble figuring where it would break and grouped off paper for my first clip. But, once I got used to it I put up some nice groupings. Nice little pistol but for CCW practice with it ALOT.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My trigger finger finds the button for the laser naturally, but that's just me. Mine won't go into battery with the Fiocchi ammo I have, but it hasn't choked on anything else.

Top Bottom