• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    While I was squirrel hunting down in Yellowwood last year I spotted a bunch of cat tracks (main pad, four toes, no claw marks) something like this:

cougpr.gif

Size was about the same as my palm.

Asked a CO about it on another forum and he said probably Bobcat but, if so, that's one big bobcat.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While I was squirrel hunting down in Yellowwood last year I spotted a bunch of cat tracks (main pad, four toes, no claw marks) something like this:

cougpr.gif

Size was about the same as my palm.

Asked a CO about it on another forum and he said probably Bobcat but, if so, that's one big bobcat.

Bobcats have big feet for their size. I can't tell without a scale bar, but I've seen cougar tracks the size of my spread hand.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Bobcats have big feet for their size. I can't tell without a scale bar, but I've seen cougar tracks the size of my spread hand.

I did some checking and there are a bunch of pics of bobcat and cougar tracks on the web taken with rulers or tape measures alongside. Bobcats seem to run about 2 inches. Cougars, 4 or more. My palm is about 3 1/2 inches across (just measured it) putting these tracks on the small side for cougar.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i saw a bobcat down in morgan monroe a couple years ago. i was following tracks in the snow and walked up on it. he looked little and young but it was awesome.

i read a news story on another forum of a bobcat attacking a 40lb sheep i think it was and carrying it and jumping over a 8 ft fence w/ the sheep in its mouth. amazingly agile and strong for their size.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    It is not unommon to see them several times a week at Crane. They are far smaller than the escaped black leopard that I and others have seen.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    It is not unommon to see them several times a week at Crane. They are far smaller than the escaped black leopard that I and others have seen.

i'm 4 miles from the Bloomington gate.....haven't seen any big black kitty's on the north side....back in the 80's i seen some big cat tracks and black hair crap by the viaduct train tressel northeast of Bloomfield...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I live about 1000 yards from the hydros on the Ohio river, I've seen one twice while on my way to work in the early A.M. The cool thing about it is I see Turkey, deer, coons, possums, geese, you name it, right here by the house, but around the timesI have seen the cat, aside from maybe a deer, all of the other wildlife is nowhere to be found.

Hatchrooster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lumpkin,Co
    I know I don't live in Ind so I hope ya'll don't mind me posting this on this thread.Don't see very many down my way.I seen one several years ago and have'nt seen one sense.

Fireman85

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    i have been told that there are bobcats on the military side of atterberry in johnson county. Though in over ten years of being on the military hunt I have never seen one.

Deer_Slayer_90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never seen one here personally but my family have had some encounters, my grandfather treed one while coon hunting here in shelby county along big blue about 25 or 30 years ago, and my other grandparents had one runnin their woods just outside cambridge city about 5 years ago. Believe it or not my dad actually saw a (black panther) also along blue river, it was about 40 years ago and and they were coon hunting and the dogs (about 5 in all) were tracking it, and it turned and came back around in front of the truck and when my dad, waiting in the front seat for my grampa, flipped on the headlights, it stopped for a second and and continued to walk...crawl away. I believe it was a pet that escaped that the owner never reported, people around here have had many exotic pets; skunks, coons, foxes, wolves, mountain lion, and a couple of bears, so its not too far fetched.

Top Bottom