• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Has anybody out there had any experience with bobbing the hammer on a revolver?
    I have found many mixed reviews/opinions on this, but few actual experiences. Some say it is no problem, others say by lightening the hammer you greatly increase the chance of a misfire.
    Personally, I think that if a pistol can't muster enough gumption to fire a primer after it has been bobbed then it wasn't much of a handgun to begin with..... but I have never tried it before...... and the last thing I would want to do is ruin the reliability of a great revolver.
    Sooooo.... help me out INGO.....:ingo: Has anyone had success or failure bobbing the hammer on a revolver?

Thanks!

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Depends on the revolver. I did this to a Model 60 and had zero problems. Reason I did so was to de-snag the weapon. All I removed was the hammer spur then I rounded and smoothed the remainder.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Depends on the revolver. I did this to a Model 60 and had zero problems. Reason I did so was to de-snag the weapon. All I removed was the hammer spur then I rounded and smoothed the remainder.
    That's my reason too, sp101 IWB. Snags and digs into my "dunlop".
    The only thing I can tell you , with any certainty, is don't try it on a single action revolver.
    LOL.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    ccoptions.jpg
    I bobbed this one years ago. No problems so far. You can see I left a bit of metal on the hammer for weight.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is it a smith and wesson K frame? I have a friend with a factory bobbed K frame that would love to trade to a regular hammer. If you want, I can get contact information. Let me know.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    HAH! Ya, I definitely won't be reducing a single action revolver to a zero action. I really LOL'd after that one.

It's good to hear that there haven't been any issues. The reason I asked is because I'm scouting out a new CC revolver and concealed/internal hammer was definitely on the list of wants, but I can only seem to find deals on revolvers with exposed hammers. I'm inherently cheap and I like a good project, so I am toying with the idea of picking up quality revolver at a good price and smoothing out what I have to to make it a slick ccw.
    I'm always up for saving :twocents:, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Unless it is a pocket carry revolver I see no point in bobbing the hammer, all you are doing is removing your ability to make single action shots and gaining nothing in return.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Unless it is a pocket carry revolver I see no point in bobbing the hammer, all you are doing is removing your ability to make single action shots and gaining nothing in return.
    Why do you say that? Have you ever carried a revolver IWB? For extended periods? Seated? There is a LOT of comfort to gain and I think that is a pretty big thing for a dedicated CCer.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Depends on the revolver.

Are there any revolvers that you WOULDN'T bob the hammer on? I have found a few good deals on Taurus 85s..... any luck with those?

IMHO...I think that the guys that have trouble, try to bob the hammer and lighten the trigger pull on their newly DAO revolver. I don't have any intention of lightening the trigger pull on a CCW.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I think I would rather have a factory hammerless that have it bobbed. I wonder about the value of it after being bobbed.
    Shouldn't matter much as the hammer can be replaced pretty cheap, besides "custom" always carries a higher price. However this IS why I want to send mine to gemini customs, plus I want my sides slabbed to remove some weight and the billboards along with sights and porting.
    Gemini Customs LLC - Ruger & Services

Top Bottom