• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    National Geographic does have topo maps for IN/MI/OH all in one package. You might find some there. But it costs $$$

Edit: oops, sorry, does not have 1:50k scale.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Except for the southern 1/3 of the state (Indiana), there is no reason a road map will not work. The terrain is so flat, as long as you know where roads and rivers are, and know you direction of travel, you should be okay. Once you start going up/down, really need topos to help you pick the best route(s).

IF you don't know how to use a map & compass, start today.....
    I remember this one time I drove 600 miles to go to a friends wedding in the middle of no where flatville indiana (and take the pictures). There was a blizzard the day before. The directions were suspect. I had never been to that cornfield but I felt there was a contradiction between the directions and the landmarks.

I made the right decision. After sitting at the church waiting for the Father of the bride to arrive, there came a point where I drove back out into the wilderness, parked and waved down any car with people in suits or more then 2 passengers. "The church is back that way."

The guy with Georgia plates (me) was the only one not lost.

No reason to sacrafice info when you can have it all. Delormee Gazetteers for any state you drive in. I have a large collection and study them all the time.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Zoub -- Good point.... And yes, the Delormee Gazetters are great; a good compromise between scale, info, some topo features, and size. -- Greg/Grizhicks

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I hadn't heard of Delorme, looks like a good base to start with. The map software is a bit on the high end though *cringe*

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    TaunTaun -- I was talking about their paper state atlas (which I think Zoub was also). These are atlases (sp) that cover an entire state and generally run about $20. I have the one for Indiana; they are not the same scale as the 7-1/2 minute topo, but have all the highways and most (if not all) of the county roads. These are something to keep in you car/truck; in a SHTF and walking, just tear out the pages you need. -- Greg/Grizhicks

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    TaunTaun -- I was talking about their paper state atlas (which I think Zoub was also). These are atlases (sp) that cover an entire state and generally run about $20. I have the one for Indiana; they are not the same scale as the 7-1/2 minute topo, but have all the highways and most (if not all) of the county roads. These are something to keep in you car/truck; in a SHTF and walking, just tear out the pages you need. -- Greg/Grizhicks
    Sacrilege! But yes I am talking about the books.

The detail is such it goes down to showing even long lanes on farms. So you get topo, landmarks, roads and GPS all in one. For most people one of those is more than they will ever need or be able to fully use.

These days about the only stores that have them on the shelves are Gander Mtn or Walmart.

Walmart.com: Indiana Atlas & Gazetteer, Delorme Mapping Company: Travel & Nature

PS that price is LOWER than any I have ever paid for one. I wonder if they are dumping old versions? Non issue, they will be fine. EDIT Yup, they seem to all be 2001 editions. That is a bit old but still not bad for a backup version. I would be inclined to buy newer versions. The one closest to me as I type is a 2010 WI.

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Except for the southern 1/3 of the state (Indiana), there is no reason a road map will not work. The terrain is so flat, as long as you know where roads and rivers are, and know you direction of travel, you should be okay. Once you start going up/down, really need topos to help you pick the best route(s).

IF you don't know how to use a map & compass, start today.....

In my region (North Central), it's mainly farmland. These huge parcels are matrixed (if that's a word) with irrigation/drainage ditches. Most are marked on topo maps. Some of them are wide enough that they aren't easily crossed. That alone, IMO, makes topos a necessity.

+1 to Griz on the map and compass. Gotta do it.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    If nothing else, the Navy helped tought me that technology fails. And that, you ALWAYS have a backup to your primary system. Even then, have another way to do it manually.

Thanks for the fix!

That is what I learned in flight school as well. I learned to fly in the days before GPS and electronic flight calculators. Still have my old circular slide rule and sectional charts and remember how to use them.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Nothing beats paper. Have one of these chucked into your BOB for the area/areas that you expect you'll need.

Gazetteer and Atlas

alabama%20gazetteer%20detail.gif

Example

Top Bottom