• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are Blythe's prices a turn off for you?

• Total voters

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Hi guys,

From my experience, Blythe's at Valparaiso has the highest prices on a gun of any place I look. The last time I tried to trade a gun in there I was also offered a rather low price. I was trying to buy a Kimber Desert Warrior from them and had a LNIB M&P 40 Vtac. I finally got them to offer me $400 for it when they had a new one sitting on the wall for $800.

They never negotiate at all (at least with me). I tried to buy a G19, that they wanted more money for than any other place I saw, before the panic. During negotiations I was offered a free range pass (which I declined) and a $15 discount if I paid cash. Well no kidding, you'll give me a 3% discount if I pay cash because you don't have to pay to run the card. Yeah you're really doing me a favor there.

$50 for a transfer on a production gun?! Yes I completely understand they would rather get your business on a new gun, but come on. Kempf's in Michigan City charges $30. The last time I was at Four Guns (very fair store) in Lafayette they were charging $15 for a transfer.

If you can't tell, I have some pent up dislike for Blythe's. I try and try to give them my business as they have a nice inventory and they are located close to me, but I refuse to overpay. Putting this poll out to see if any others have similar opinions.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Go elsewhere mate. Simple as that.

I've never done business with them so I didn't vote. I've seen the highs (Don's), the lows (Bradis) and everywhere in between. If I didn't like a price I'd call around and go elsewhere.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Go elsewhere mate. Simple as that.

I've never done business with them so I didn't vote. I've seen the highs (Don's), the lows (Bradis) and everywhere in between. If I didn't like a price I'd call around and go elsewhere.

You're right Adam. I am not being forced to shop there and I largely do not. I've never been to Don's but I hear pretty bad things about that.

Just gathering consumer opinions.

Lowrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Valpo
    I've shopped for guns, knives, and ammo at Blythes in Valpo. I've found when they have a gun on sale the prices typically beat everything else in area. Obviously some online prices are often same or better but I'd rather not have shipping and pay to local business who has product on hand. The fact they have ammo, quality knives, and large variety of guns as well as range factors into my opinion on prices. You also getting many people working there, usually 5 or more who all go out of there way to educate and take there time with you. So overall in my opinion the value is very good even though price on some items not on sale may not be great. I've never attempted a trade in so can't comment on that.

sig40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    I personally get great deals from Blythes i always get them to negotiate on price. and normally get some extras thrown in with the deal. I have nothing bad to say about them.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I purchased an ar there May 29, 2012 for $199 below tag price I was pleased. Now was it just priced higher so they could tell me a lower price to make me feel better? I don't know but I was happy with the price and that's what counts right? I then purchased a glock 17 the next day for an average price. I shop around for everything I buy and if I don't feel the price is right somewhere I simply go somewhere else. From experience I usually end up at blythes. And Mrs. Blythe taught me in elementary school. That may contribute to my business in their establishment

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I seen a rifle on the clearance rack for 149 3 weeks ago and went back in yesterday and it was at 399. I would say overinflated.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Don't know what to tell you, I get great deals at Blythes. And if I do pay say $30 for a gun (rarely) they make up for it in great customer service, free range passes etc. Blythes is a very friendly environment. One reason I may pay a little more (if ever) is I have the satisfaction of knowing if I had any problems whatsoever with my purchase it would be handled accordingly by some professional Blythes employees.. 99% of my firearm related items are bought at Blythes. So my answer is C. They have good prices, you're an idiot.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    You need to go in and talk to them, work into a relationship where they get to know you, and always do your homework and research prices before you buy, and when ready, negotiate sometimes they can deal other times they cant, Im always treated fair in the Griffith Blythes.

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI
    so your saying I shouldn't bother going in this week with cash trying to buy their LWRC m6a2 at the full pre-panic MSRP? (they were asking $2,799 IIRC)

I live near by, but have bought all 13 guns in the last 7 months at Cabelas.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Hi guys,

From my experience, Blythe's at Valparaiso has the highest prices on a gun of any place I look. The last time I tried to trade a gun in there I was also offered a rather low price. I was trying to buy a Kimber Desert Warrior from them and had a LNIB M&P 40 Vtac. I finally got them to offer me $400 for it when they had a new one sitting on the wall for $800.

They never negotiate at all (at least with me). I tried to buy a G19, that they wanted more money for than any other place I saw, before the panic. During negotiations I was offered a free range pass (which I declined) and a $15 discount if I paid cash. Well no kidding, you'll give me a 3% discount if I pay cash because you don't have to pay to run the card. Yeah you're really doing me a favor there.

$50 for a transfer on a production gun?! Yes I completely understand they would rather get your business on a new gun, but come on. Kempf's in Michigan City charges $30. The last time I was at Four Guns (very fair store) in Lafayette they were charging $15 for a transfer.

If you can't tell, I have some pent up dislike for Blythe's. I try and try to give them my business as they have a nice inventory and they are located close to me, but I refuse to overpay. Putting this poll out to see if any others have similar opinions.

Comparing your used gun to their new gun isn't fair. Offering you $400 and marking it for $600 isn't really unreasonable, they do have bills to pay, they can't give you $600 for it and then sell it for $600, that would work too well.

And since when is any company under any obligation to haggle on prices? I used to work at a pet store and would HATE when customers (99% of whom I'd never seen before) would come in trying to get a "deal." Do you do that kind of crap at Walmart? I doubt it. Let them see you in there once a week for a few months, browsing, buying small things, whatever, before you start asking about discounts.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I have a few family members who bought guns from them. One was a decent price, the other was about 15% more than other gun shops near me in Indy. I do like the valpo shop, but won't buy anything there. Also I saw the sr1911 for 780 while other shops (bradis, itp) sell them for 650. Shoot I got mine at the 1500 for 659.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Comparing your used gun to their new gun isn't fair. Offering you $400 and marking it for $600 isn't really unreasonable, they do have bills to pay, they can't give you $600 for it and then sell it for $600, that would work too well.

And since when is any company under any obligation to haggle on prices? I used to work at a pet store and would HATE when customers (99% of whom I'd never seen before) would come in trying to get a "deal." Do you do that kind of crap at Walmart? I doubt it. Let them see you in there once a week for a few months, browsing, buying small things, whatever, before you start asking about discounts.

I have been there a solid 15 times in the last year so it is not like Im that fresh of a face. It is also completely true that no business is required to haggle. I dont expect a steal, but I would appreciate a fair price. Hey they seem to be doing well so I must be wrong.

How about their $50 transfer fee for new guns? How do you guys feel about that? As you might guess I think its ridiculous.

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I have done business there for years and have always been treated more than fair. They have always given me great deals, maybe its just because I do a lot of shopping there. But the last pistol I bought there they beat anyone by over 120 bucks.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Blythes VALPO has always had better prices & friendlier service than the Blythes store in GRIFFITH.

I would say their prices are the same. Customer service OTOH, Griffith pissed me off last time. Completely lied to my face about an AR part I bought. But, it doesn't mean they wouldn't get my money again. Griffith is so close but I love Valpo and their Team. They have always treated me Fair and spent the time with me to find the right thing I'm looking for. I have bought ALL of my guns from them and most of the parts I need, otherwise I tend to buy online cause well, it's hard to beat Amazon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would say their prices are the same. Customer service OTOH, Griffith pissed me off last time. Completely lied to my face about an AR part I bought. But, it doesn't mean they wouldn't get my money again. Griffith is so close but I love Valpo and their Team. They have always treated me Fair and spent the time with me to find the right thing I'm looking for. I have bought ALL of my guns from them and most of the parts I need, otherwise I tend to buy online cause well, it's hard to beat Amazon.

Guess we will agree to disagree on the prices. The two stores have different owners (brothers?) and different pricing policies. Griffith has a fat **** who will lie to your face. He lied to me in front of Roger and that was the last time I bought a gun at that shop. I can't stand liars.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    I coulnt agree more with the OP, what bothers me is how they take advantage of their customers when panic sets in, while a big box store remains constant. I dont expect them to compete with online, but they gouge.

Top Bottom