• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was wondering if anyone use "blue guns" (or "red guns" or other brands) to practice gun retention and draws from a holster.
    I hear that its a big no-no for many people to use a empty firerarm to do that even if you checked it 50 times.
    I was looking to get one but its very expensive for a simple piece of molded plastic.

Any thoughts on that?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was wondering if anyone use "blue guns" (or "red guns" or other brands) to practice gun retention and draws from a holster.

Yes.

I was looking to get one but its very expensive for a simple piece of molded plastic. Any thoughts on that?

What's your carry gun? Blackhawk(!) makes gray and orange training replicas for Glock 17/22, Beretta 92, SIG P226 and S&W J-Frame that can be had for around $25.00 from LAPG. I have an orange G17 and have been really pleased with it (quality is good and dimensions are exact).

Alternatively, you could look into getting an inert "training barrel" (Blade-Tech) to use in your carry piece, or go with an Airsoft replica instead.

HTH!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have messed with them several times, haven't bought one, and discussed training course exercises with some of the Advertisers here using this method. Keep up the good work, only 11 more posts and you can put that gun back up for sale :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Alternatively, you could look into getting an inert "training barrel" (Blade-Tech) to use in your carry piece HTH!

Yes I thought about the inert barrel, it sounds better than a blue gun as you have the same weight and feel as the real gun.
    Plus you can work the slide, practice trigger pull and such.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I use a blue gun a lot, but not for drawing and the like. They are really good for scenario type training, disarms, demonstrations. As an example, I am going to a CQB instructor school for Suarez next week. We will be using blue guns for this, as there will be a lot of pointing at others, with the blue gun there are no doubts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unless you have unusual circumstances, I don't think they have much utility for practicing your draws. There are a variety of ways to utilize your gun while practicing draws and presentations that won't result in undue risk to yourself or anyone else.

For retention training and practice, however, I think inert training replicas are mandatory. I would not use anything other than an inert piece of plastic for that application.

I hear that its a big no-no for many people to use a empty firerarm to do that even if you checked it 50 times.
    I was looking to get one but its very expensive for a simple piece of molded plastic.

Any thoughts on that?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I use a blue gun a lot, but not for drawing and the like. They are really good for scenario type training, disarms, demonstrations. As an example, I am going to a CQB instructor school for Suarez next week. We will be using blue guns for this, as there will be a lot of pointing at others, with the blue gun there are no doubts.
    :+1:

Agree! Blue guns are great training tools. I encourage people to develop a "safety reflex"--an obsession with basic gun safety ingrained to the point that it is repulsive to sweep or point a gun at another or to violate any other basic safety rule.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This may be a dumb question, but are blue guns also the same weight as their real counterparts or are blue guns only the same dimensions?

Not all blue guns.
    They have some "heavy" models who are the same weight as the real gun.
    They are a bit more expensive than the mormal models.

Blue guns also make inert magazines with the weight of a loaded magazine if you want to practice with your carry piece empty and still have the same weight as when its loaded.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I prefer to use a training barrel when I'm practicing alone so that I have the same feel [my M&P grip insert is stippled] as well as the ability to manipulate the slide and trigger.

For any kind of combatives, retention drills or disarm drills, I would definitely recommend a blue gun, just because they're durable and safe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I use blue guns if I am practicing any action that involves pointing the weapon at someone or something other than a target. If I am practicing drawing my weapon from its holster, I am at my practice range drawing on a target.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    If the blue gun is >$50, you might look into airsoft as an alternative. Spray paint it orange and it will still fit in your holster and such. Weight is the only iffy thing. We used red guns during the firearms retention/defensive tactics portion. I think every OC or CC member on this forum should go through some kind of training regarding that. You would HATE to get shot with your own firearm, after being disarmed.
    With airsoft, you could at least have a subtle reminder (being shot with a 0.6 plastic bb) that you would develop some sort of Freudian response.:twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This may be a dumb question, but are blue guns also the same weight as their real counterparts or are blue guns only the same dimensions?

As mentioned, it varies.

The closest in terms of appearance and weight are the actual Blue Guns made by Rings. They don't seem to be as heavy as the real thing, but they are definitely more substantial than some of the others. By comparison, the Blackhawk inert training replicas are significantly lighter in weight. Rings also has the most detailed molding to the point where you can read the roll marks on the slide and the stamping of the brand name on the sights of their Springfield 1911 copies.

For retention and similar training, the weight doesn't matter that much in my opinion. I'm more interested in safety and durability.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have never used a blue gun. But I do use a Bennie Cooley Safety Magazines. They are blue plastic weighted just like a loaded magazine, it locks into the gun just like a real magazine but will not lock the slide back.

I don't know how the blue guns compare in weight to a real loaded gun. But these are great for safely doing magazine drills and other training with a real gun.

CRTC, Inc. - Products - Safety Magazines

Top Bottom