The pic from the IDS article:

55ea73d5-adc3-48a3-bdee-7daed8b72444.sized-1000x1000.jpg

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    My cousin lives in bloomington. Shes is a waitress and complains about how cheap all the college kids are about tipping. I said maybe yer setting the bar low working at dennys on midnights dude. She didnt like that comment, but when they let her go, lol, she ended up getting a job at red lobster where everyone tips right apparently. I mentioned to her about the police buyin an armored tank like truck for alotta money and she had no clue as to why they would need it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah.....because it’s Bloomington. I’ve been there frequently. It’s not Iraq.....to say the least. Cops must be afraid one of the pot smoking hippies will throw a bong at them.

”but Terrorism”.....yeah.....not a valid argument unless there’s actual threats..... Otherwise, that’s how a town of 500 people ends up with a bear cat to protect their pumpkin festival.

And “it’s replacing one that’s broke and we had one before” is not justification either. Actually, they should be looking at the data and showing what EXACTLY it was used for and what it provided for officers. It being called out on runs X times a month tells us nothing. If that’s all they can say, that tells me they’re forcing it to go on runs just to justify their toy.

My cousin lives in bloomington. Shes is a waitress and complains about how cheap all the college kids are about tipping. I said maybe yer setting the bar low working at dennys on midnights dude. She didnt like that comment, but when they let her go, lol, she ended up getting a job at red lobster where everyone tips right apparently. I mentioned to her about the police buyin an armored tank like truck for alotta money and she had no clue as to why they would need it.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Also, I’m glad I don’t live in Bloomington. Their administration has consistently moved forward with policy and done things like this prior to informing the public. This is just another example of having a **** load of their constituents complaining about something that’s already happened. Then the administration basically just says “well, we already did it, so get over it.” The city of Bloomington needs to vote these bums out of office.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I doubt anyone on this board can answer this.

Again, these are questions that only BPD can answer and I'm not aware of any of them on this board.

Well, that's kind of the point, really. No one can show me empirically why it is needed. All I get are emotional arguments. But if you ask the hard questions, then you become the crybaby who doesn't care about cops. No, that isn't the point. If it were about officer safety, we would just lock them all in a bunker. Or every little podunk town like mine would have a Bearcat for every officer. And if citizens who question the expenditure of public resources are automatically cop haters, then we would probably be against Indianapolis having equipment like this. Or against body armor, or sidearms.

So if we can just calm our little hyperbolic heads for a second, maybe we would realize that no one who is defending this expense can actually show why it is needed. It might actually be unnecessary. Then again, the data might show a legitimate need. But you can't even get to the logical part of that discussion without stepping over the mountain of dead cops and children thrown in your way.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well, that's kind of the point, really. No one can show me empirically why it is needed. All I get are emotional arguments. But if you ask the hard questions, then you become the crybaby who doesn't care about cops. No, that isn't the point. If it were about officer safety, we would just lock them all in a bunker. Or every little podunk town like mine would have a Bearcat for every officer. And if citizens who question the expenditure of public resources are automatically cop haters, then we would probably be against Indianapolis having equipment like this. Or against body armor, or sidearms.

So if we can just calm our little hyperbolic heads for a second, maybe we would realize that no one who is defending this expense can actually show why it is needed. It might actually be unnecessary. Then again, the data might show a legitimate need. But you can't even get to the logical part of that discussion without stepping over the mountain of dead cops and children thrown in your way.

Woobie,

I think you may have sidestepped Denny’s post...Unless you talk to the Bloomington Police Chief you will not get an answer you like.
    No one here can answer your question.

I agree that the wasteful spending is out of control in all governments, local, state, national. CM was chastised about being snarky on another thread saying some of the money sent overseas should be spent here on mental health issues. I could name dozens of places we could cut spending as I’m sure you could, but getting our elected officials to be fiscally responsible with taxpayer money hasn’t happened in half a century, I just wish we could make it happen now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Denny's. Huh. I could go for a Denny's about now. 12:30. Haven't had lunch yet. Eh.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Woobie,

I think you may have sidestepped Denny’s post...Unless you talk to the Bloomington Police Chief you will not get an answer you like.
    No one here can answer your question.

I agree that the wasteful spending is out of control in all governments, local, state, national. CM was chastised about being snarky on another thread saying some of the money sent overseas should be spent here on mental health issues. I could name dozens of places we could cut spending as I’m sure you could, but getting our elected officials to be fiscally responsible with taxpayer money hasn’t happened in half a century, I just wish we could make it happen now.

I don't think that was a sidestep. I know what he meant, but in doing so he was honest enough to say the justification is unknown to anyone here. We have several people here who could justify that purchase by IMPD, but you can't assume that fits Bloomington. I think public servants owe a better answer than " the old one broke down" or "we might need it." My desire is to cut pork in all its forms. My frustration here is twofold: a societal and governmental condition which had created most of the need for this expense, and this attitude that tells everyone who demands accountability to basically shut up.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't think that was a sidestep. I know what he meant, but in doing so he was honest enough to say the justification is unknown to anyone here. We have several people here who could justify that purchase by IMPD, but you can't assume that fits Bloomington. I think public servants owe a better answer than " the old one broke down" or "we might need it." My desire is to cut pork in all its forms. My frustration here is twofold: a societal and governmental condition which had created most of the need for this expense, and this attitude that tells everyone who demands accountability to basically shut up.

Believe me when I tell you I hate all forms of pork barrel spending as well. Bill Clinton actually asked for line item veto when he was President, and I believe all presidents should have that option. How can anyone hold the POTUS responsible for spending when all the crap gets tacked on the budget as it makes it’s way thru congress.
    To keep more on point, I do not know if Bloomington needs this piece of equipment, so I can’t comment.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I think it's rather humorous that the unicorns, fairies and leprechauns are getting their panties wadded when faced with the reality that Bloomington ISN'T the Shangri La they think it is!:laugh:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I didn't read all the prior posts but in this day and age why would you want your police force "out gunned". If their vehicle is too old and not adequate then give them the tools they need for God's sake.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    I am all for police protecting themselves. My father was a police officer and I wanted him to come home at night or day depending upon what shift he held. That being said, there is no honest reason to have this vehicle in Bloomington Indiana.
    I lived there for 3 years. A hot bed of liberalism but overall, not a gang infested region. Last time I saw police, they are pretty well armored in their Kevlar helmets and body armor. Give them shields if need be but there is no viable reason for this vehicle.

Top Bottom