• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    bloomington/ clearcreek area of south walnut, house was broken into today 10/22/09. nothing was taken. it happen sometime between noon and 5 pm. i just wanted to let anyone know that might live in the area (or have love ones in this area) and would happen to read this. please be on the look out for starnge vech. or people.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    no i don't believe so? i firgured they have cased the area pretty well and knew when folks would be coming and going. i hope they don't come back. if they do i have a couple small web cams set up at both my doors. lol

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Yep, those type of folk happen to be around this area of town. That's why I'm always watchful and armed.

The only part of South Walnut I would question the type of people would be the two "motels" the one near the car dealerships and the one as you head towards Fairfax. The rest of the area seems pretty OK to me.

@ OP Thanks for the information, I will let the people I know in the area know about this. Do you have an approximate address? What cross street was it near?

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Keep a look out for a long hair, about 4inches past shoulders homeless looking guy.(last seen in dirty jeans, and a long sleeve blue and black flanel, has salt and pepper hair......more salt than pepper) He was found climbing out of a celler once, sleeping in the same celler once, and seen kicking on a frontdoor, then i caught him climbing through my friends window this was at 17th and jefferson? (hell im not sure....i never drive when at IU) Needless to say, when the LEO came (4th time for this guy in 2 weeks) A taxi was called for him after 8 statements were givin by 6 sober people and 2 intoxicated people. I guess he lives 30mins east of bloomington where ever that is.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    no i don't believe so? i firgured they have cased the area pretty well and knew when folks would be coming and going. i hope they don't come back. if they do i have a couple small web cams set up at both my doors. lol

Thats the bad part of living in a college town/being in school. it easy to case. After a week or 2 one can tell when the house is empty due to classes.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only part of South Walnut I would question the type of people would be the two "motels" the one near the car dealerships and the one as you head towards Fairfax. The rest of the area seems pretty OK to me.

Sure, except for the rape, armed robbery and home invasions...

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Sure, except for the rape, armed robbery and home invasions...

Uh ok, that doesn't help me much, can you be a little more specific? I'm curious because I my HOME and workplace are all within a mile radius of South Walnut.

I can think of the Rape that occurred on the rails-to-trails and the armed robbery at the Cash Advance place and the OP's report.

Are there any I am missing?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Some break-ins don't make the news, but they do happen and I know of one in my neighborhood adjacent to R2T. I used to live on Burberry Ln next to Winslow Courts and the Subway next door was robbed several times (armed robbery). Nothing like going out to walk the dog and having 20 cops and K9 combing the area looking for an armed assailant. Not to mention the murder a few years back...

I'm not trying to scare you and don't want to overstate things, but it certainly isn't the crime-free utopia.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Some break-ins don't make the news, but they do happen and I know of one in my neighborhood adjacent to R2T. I used to live on Burberry Ln next to Winslow Courts and the Subway next door was robbed several times (armed robbery). Nothing like going out to walk the dog and having 20 cops and K9 combing the area looking for an armed assailant. Not to mention the murder a few years back...

I'm not trying to scare you and don't want to overstate things, but it certainly isn't the crime-free utopia.

The winslow courts apartments are obviously a known crap-hole. Before Bloomington went digital I had my scanner on all the time so I've heard plenty of things that go on that aren't listed in the news. You just made it seem like it's getting a lot worse than it used to be. I would agree they are becoming more frequent, the house at the end of our road had their car broken into and an attempt to get into their home.

Again, I only asked because I was curious as to what YOU have heard about that may not have made the news and/or word of mouth.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    My neighbors and I believe this stems from a phone
    company updating their lines to fiber optics and the
    crew they contracted have a few bad apples in it.
    Because we have notice strange vech. In our neighborhood
    we have all gottin use to seeing them and never dream this in a million
    hrs. I'm not saying anything bad about this company, just
    we have all seen out of state truck and with happening it
    make us wonder. By the way my location is between the
    motels on south walnut.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Bloomington/ Monroe county offers alot of amenities not available in all communities this size, but that said there is a trade off. Students and academics in general tend to be predicable in schedual "soft" targets who tend to have stuff worth stealing. The wolves drawn to prey on those targets also prey on any other target they can pattern. I harken back to a long ago"less pc"time when a wise man spoke of "the water hole theory" not only do lions hunt at the water hole where prey gather also the scavengers gather there looking for opportunity. We in Bloomington draw homeless from great distances with our services/hand outs, we provide plenty of opportunity to offend and we under punish the offenders.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Off topic, but on topic... I've had my butt handed to me on a silver platter while walking in a alley in Bloomington. I lived their for three years and never thought it could happen. One alley east of 7th and Walnut, I think. Directly behind Lockerby Condo/Apartments. Three guys jumped my buddy and I from behind. The suprise attack took us down. When I knew I was up I had run over 50 yards to get away. My younger bro and his marine friend walked up as the guys walked away, ended up calling them out on it and they came back. Ended up 4 on 3 this time and they got what they deserved. I think everyone walked away injured and pissed, but luckly it never made it passed fists.

I never reported it, but after talking about it with local folks and students I guess a few people have been jumped in that exact same block.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

And, just a few months ago, in broad daylight that guy broke into the woman's home, robbed and raped her in that area too.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    FYI for the Bloomington crew:

I just spoke with a very good friend that lives in Bloomington. He came home a few days ago to find the back door to his house kicked in. They had to put up some effort becuase the door has a 2x4 accross it with cheap brackets. Shocking to me they took the time to go through a mildly reinforced door. Nothing messed up or trashed, but he could tell someone had gone through stuff in his master bedroom.

His house is on 45 west of Wal Mart between the BP and the turn for the park. He always has at least one vehicle parked in his drive also.

He is a lifetime permit owner, but still has never owned a firearm. I'm guessing this will give him motivation.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    It is a sad state of affairs. I think much of Bloomington is clueless about the criminal activities that go on around them. I think more and more sensible people are putting the permits to use than ever before as so they should.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    FYI for the Bloomington crew:

I just spoke with a very good friend that lives in Bloomington. He came home a few days ago to find the back door to his house kicked in. They had to put up some effort becuase the door has a 2x4 accross it with cheap brackets. Shocking to me they took the time to go through a mildly reinforced door. Nothing messed up or trashed, but he could tell someone had gone through stuff in his master bedroom.

His house is on 45 west of Wal Mart between the BP and the turn for the park. He always has at least one vehicle parked in his drive also.

He is a lifetime permit owner, but still has never owned a firearm. I'm guessing this will give him motivation.

thats weird as it's a fairly sparse area housing wise, but it is closer to me so:draw: time to get ready.

Top Bottom