• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Never bought anything but visited a couple times over the years..prices were wayy high back then..probably more in line now with the rising cost of everything...and yes his "helper' is a registered sex offender...I too saw his lovely mug on the registry site. Buying Marsh and turning it into an indoor range is a GREAT Idea...but I have serious doubts that the city/county "government" would ever let that happen....IMHO....but man what an idea...any you guys/girls wanna partner up? ...lol

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Wasn't there a teaser thread awhile back about a new shop in Bloomington? Did I miss the particulars? Or were they never posted?:dunno:

I didn't realize Stewarts moved south of town either. I thought they just went away. My Dad bought my first gun there,a Savage .410/.22 over under.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Never bought anything but visited a couple times over the years..prices were wayy high back then..probably more in line now with the rising cost of everything...and yes his "helper' is a registered sex offender...I too saw his lovely mug on the registry site. Buying Marsh and turning it into an indoor range is a GREAT Idea...but I have serious doubts that the city/county "government" would ever let that happen....IMHO....but man what an idea...any you guys/girls wanna partner up? ...lol
    I don't even know where to begin. I would imagine there would be some serious legal battles to attempt to open an indoor range/shop there.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Wasn't there a teaser thread awhile back about a new shop in Bloomington? Did I miss the particulars? Or were they never posted?:dunno:

I didn't realize Stewarts moved south of town either. I thought they just went away. My Dad bought my first gun there,a Savage .410/.22 over under.

ol' lady stewart still alive?...worked on there HVAC stuff years ago....i guess nshe liked me she would give me good deals on guns....i bought and trade about 20 guns with her.....i didn't know they moved either just thought she gave it up......well have go by there when i'm up that way...

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I don't even know where to begin. I would imagine there would be some serious legal battles to attempt to open an indoor range/shop there.

I've also thought that one of the big industrial buildings on N. Curry Pike would be an awesome place for an indoor gun range. I know at least a few of those are vacant...

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Yeah Stewarts on the south end of the square is gone...what was left of there inventory was bought out by a preacher named Abernathy....who opened a shop at Becks Crossing ...it only lasted maybe a year or so...he moved out of state and it closed up...didnt have much anyway, it was all picked over and the Stewarts kept all the "good" stuff before they sold out. Their daughter has a little store down there at becks crossing now sells "relics/civil war" stuff, same kinda junk they used to peddle..and I have to agree with IU Grad Student 17 miles is too far out, especially that way...for a club. I think an ideal place would be in Lawrence or Morgan co, just across the county line off hwy 37...away from the "libtards" rule...but still an easy drive on a 4 lane highway. Too bad our wonderful IU closed down Sycamore Vally which had been there for YEARS..in an attempt to add 9 holes to the golf course,, which never happened....just my 2cents

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Martinsville is full, and Sycamore is well...I ain't going there either...

Both are about the same distance away from Bloomington.

However, we could build it to OUR liking.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You know what place I would like to check out is the old ski place across from where the Little Nashville Opry stood. That place looks ideal for a Sportsman's Club.

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    With all due respect 360, that's not much of an answer. Do you have a specific beef with the club or the officers?

I'm a club member, but not an active one. I've never been to a club meeting! I basically joined when IU threw them out of their facility, just for moral support as much as anything, and to show some solidarity with them against the on-campus liberals. I have continued my membership because I feel they fill a political, as well as a practical void in this area of the state.

I don't have an axe to grind here, but I know several of the guys in the club, and I get the newsletters. They seem to me to be a pretty straight-up bunch. I've never heard anybody with a specific complaint speak out. I'd like to hear what you have to say specifically, rather than broad generalities!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    With all due respect 360, that's not much of an answer. Do you have a specific beef with the club or the officers?

I'm a club member, but not an active one. I've never been to a club meeting! I basically joined when IU threw them out of their facility, just for moral support as much as anything, and to show some solidarity with them against the on-campus liberals. I have continued my membership because I feel they fill a political, as well as a practical void in this area of the state.

I don't have an axe to grind here, but I know several of the guys in the club, and I get the newsletters. They seem to me to be a pretty straight-up bunch. I've never heard anybody with a specific complaint speak out. I'd like to hear what you have to say specifically, rather than broad generalities!
    I know I used the socratic method to answer your question, but I didn't want to open a can of worms here about it.

I used to go to the range when it was on 10th Street. I knew several members there, and it was a good time. Then, they decided to move it out to Freedom, create a bunch of "club rules" and proceed to make it difficult, if not impossible for the general public to use their facilities. The membership dues are astronomical, and the requisites are a tad bit on the ridiculous side. They are very unfriendly to the casual shooter, or the shooter who would like to spend one weekend day a month keeping their skills sharp.

It is a private club, and one that seems to have gone way of the high falutin' type that reside in Monroe County.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    no BS that is my father in laws property:laugh: he is a crazy SOB. there are plenty of fish ponds out there. and it takes around 20 minutes to get there through some crazy backcountry roads.

Lol, what are the odds?

I think 360 has a good point about having a range in Monroe County that is indoor and open to the public. I still think that in order to be economically viable it is going to need to be within a few minutes of town. 15-20 miles away is no good.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lol, what are the odds?

I think 360 has a good point about having a range in Monroe County that is indoor and open to the public. I still think that in order to be economically viable it is going to need to be within a few minutes of town. 15-20 miles away is no good.
    I don't think the city would ever allow the zoning for it. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is anything they can do about building a range on land zoned as agricultural? I heard that somewhere.

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    Thanks for the info 360. I appreciate your perspective!

I have a brother-in-law who owns a business within the Bloomington city limits. The amount of hassle the City puts him through is unreal! If you remodel an old business building, the city tells you how many trees / bushes you have to put out, and where! They have ridiculous regulations on signage, parking lots etc. Just like the central planning of the Soviets in the 70s! I can just imagine what they would do if the knew you were bringing in a shooting range!

Top Bottom