Blood type and Allergy patches on gear...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So I've been reading several different forums and there seems to be some differences in opinion as to the usefulness of blood type and allergy patches.

Some say most first responders have field test kits to determine blood type if you are in bad enough shape to actually need blood. Also reading that from a medical allergy perspective that unless you have a very severe reaction to something, chances are that it won't kill you any more dead than you might already be given a significant trauma situation.

What's the general consensus around INGO? Are blood type and allergy patches literally more "morale" style patches than anything? I remember when I put together my first chest rig, I basically copied what all the cool kids seemed to be doing at the time which was to have it displayed.

I'm putting together a battle belt and trying to decide if I really need to put it on the first aid kit or if it is literally only for show.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to be a registered EMT, but that was almost 20 years ago now. We certainly didn't have any field test kit. They may now, though. I can ask next time I'm at the ER on a run. (on edit: we couldn't give blood anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. You were getting Ringer's Lactate if you were hypovolemic, and that doesn't care what your blood type is)

That said, I can't think of any downsides and only upsides to having it. The Army put it on my dog tags. They must have thought it was important. Blood type for if they can save you, religious preference for if they can't...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I used to be a registered EMT, but that was almost 20 years ago now. We certainly didn't have any field test kit. They may now, though. I can ask next time I'm at the ER on a run. (on edit: we couldn't give blood anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. You were getting Ringer's Lactate if you were hypovolemic, and that doesn't care what your blood type is)

That said, I can't think of any downsides and only upsides to having it. The Army put it on my dog tags. They must have thought it was important. Blood type for if they can save you, religious preference for if they can't...

That is a good way of looking at it. For a couple $$$, seems like it can't hurt.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Different application, same discussion point....

I have a dog tag (cut at a self serve machine at a pet store) that I zip tied on my motorcycle suit that has allergy, blood type and emergency contact info on it. I figure it can't hurt if I am unconscious and in rough shape after an incident.

As said above, there's no down side really. Better to have and not need.... blah,blah.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Different application, same discussion point....

I have a dog tag (cut at a self serve machine at a pet store) that I zip tied on my motorcycle suit that has allergy, blood type and emergency contact info on it. I figure it can't hurt if I am unconscious and in rough shape after an incident.

As said above, there's no down side really. Better to have and not need.... blah,blah.

Along those lines, I used to wear a RoadID. It had all my important information on it, just in case I was hit by a car while working out.

I see no qualms with putting one on your gear.... I would use one if I actually remembered my blood type

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Probably isn't a bad idea... A lot of marines get meat tags. Which is name and blood type, all of that junk tattooed on their sides and other places on their body incase they get limbs blown off and then they know what belongs to who or incase nothing is left etc.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Along those lines, I used to wear a RoadID. It had all my important information on it, just in case I was hit by a car while working out.

I see no qualms with putting one on your gear.... I would use one if I actually remembered my blood type

One way to find out is to donate blood. That was how I learned what mine was. They typically do some very quick tests on the blood to make sure you are able to donate, and they used to give you a little card that had some relevant information on it, including your type.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    One way to find out is to donate blood. That was how I learned what mine was. They typically do some very quick tests on the blood to make sure you are able to donate, and they used to give you a little card that had some relevant information on it, including your type.

Good point. Maybe the next time the Blood bus comes to our office, I will actually donate. I have been hesitant since the last time (over 16 years ago) weighing only 120 at the time and with no food in me, passed out twice.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Here in the states there is no reason to. The quickest way to get fired in the hosp is give the wrong blood. We wore patches in the sandbox with our names and blood type but that was a different scenario. Here in the states nobody carries blood in the field. Even with all the helicopters in IN, only IU carries blood on the aircraft. Even then you will get universal donor until you get to the hosp.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Here in the states there is no reason to. The quickest way to get fired in the hosp is give the wrong blood. We wore patches in the sandbox with our names and blood type but that was a different scenario. Here in the states nobody carries blood in the field. Even with all the helicopters in IN, only IU carries blood on the aircraft. Even then you will get universal donor until you get to the hosp.

Thanks! That's nice to know.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Generally to "look cool" on the range.

:whistle:

Obviously!

Battle belt / War Belt / 1st line belt is the term that has been coined, but for most people it is what they use when they go to the range, shoot competitions like 3-gun, take a training class, etc. Some folks use them as duty gear (LEO/MIL) and other people have them as part of their SHTF scenario plans. I'm sure a few also put them together because its what all the cool kids have, and they like to dress up in the latest gear so they look like a SPECOPerator.

The plan for min is a holster for my pistol, and a couple of mag pouches, a dump pouch (to put mags and other things in if I was at the range and didn't want them laying on the ground), and then will have a first aid kit on it. The idea is you can put the belt on over your existing pants belt, thereby not having to thread your regular belt through magazine carriers, a holster, belt loops, etc. Really just a matter of convenience (and looking cool of course!!) for me as I can take it off at the end of the range session for the drive home if I so chose.

Here is a HUGE thread on ARFCOM with all sorts of variations of "battle belts." War Belt/1st Line Picture Thread - AR15.COM

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Don't they give O type to anyone in the ER anyway?

a group O individual can receive blood only from a group O individual, but can donate blood to individuals of any ABO blood group (i.e., A, B, O or AB). If a patient in a hospital situation were to need a blood transfusion in an emergency, and if the time taken to process the recipient's blood would cause a detrimental delay, O negative blood can be issued. Because it is compatible with anyone, O negative blood is often overused and consequently is always in short supply

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So now we not only have mall ninja's we have the range spec ops ninja.

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooK.

Yep, that's me!

No doubt, there are a lot of guys out there that wear all the gear so they can look all "tacticool Tier 1 operator specops." Hell, there are a lot of guys that dress up in full kit to play airsoft. There are a lot of other guys that see the practical benefit of a separate gun belt for the gun and ammunition. Because there is real estate, its a handy place to have a first aid kit, in case you have a really bad day at the range. If its not your cup of tea, that's ok.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yep, that's me!

No doubt, there are a lot of guys out there that wear all the gear so they can look all "tacticool Tier 1 operator specops." Hell, there are a lot of guys that dress up in full kit to play airsoft. There are a lot of other guys that see the practical benefit of a separate gun belt for the gun and ammunition. Because there is real estate, its a handy place to have a first aid kit, in case you have a really bad day at the range. If its not your cup of tea, that's ok.

You can where whatever you want wherever you want just because you like it.That's a good enough reason to do it. :yesway:

Just remember to wear pants in public, it's about it.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    It's likely that if you are incapacitated while wearing your tactical gear the the EMT will probably remove it and leave it at the site so they can get to your wounds. A medical bracelet is probably your best bet for stateside situations, they'll probably be more familiar with that then the random patches on your gear. Unless your neighborhood has a high IED threat, then you'll need tattoos...lots of tattoos;-)

Top Bottom