Blood type and Allergy patches on gear...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a hunch this is why members are voted in at the ranges I belong to.

Battle Belt?? Join the military and don't play around.

Have you ever been to a training class where you are required to carry 4 rifle mags and 2-3 handgun mags? Its either a chest rig or belt. A belt that is comfortable and made to handle that weight makes the day that much better.....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I'm ineligible to join up now based on age. One of my regrets in life is that I didn't serve my country when I was willing and able to do so. I can't change that now, but I can continue to support those that have answered the call by expressing my gratitude to them for their service.

If you think that I'm trying to be a poser, or "play army" than you are sadly mistaken. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you have grossly misconstrued the entire purpose of me posting this thread. Would you have jumped to some of the same conclusions if I had used the term "gun belt" instead of the commonly used phrase "battle belt?"

As others in this thread have posted, this is a very practical piece of gear for folks that shoot on a regular basis, and are doing more than just putting a few rounds through pie plates in the back yard (which is lots of fun by the way). Accidents can and do happen at any shooting range, be it a formal sportsman's club, or the back 40 at the farm. Having some basic first aid capabilities on hand, either on your person, or in a nearby range bag could make the difference in going home or going to the morgue.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It's likely that if you are incapacitated while wearing your tactical gear the the EMT will probably remove it and leave it at the site so they can get to your wounds. A medical bracelet is probably your best bet for stateside situations, they'll probably be more familiar with that then the random patches on your gear. Unless your neighborhood has a high IED threat, then you'll need tattoos...lots of tattoos;-)

God willing I'm not too concerned about IED's in my neighborhood. Much greater risk of dismemberment from farm machinery and power tools for me!

Thanks for the constructive feedback on modern EMT techniques. Sounds like unless there is a major medical condition that an EMT needs to be aware of (diabetic, severe drug allergies, etc.) that blood type and allergy patches are more or less "morale" patches for the typical civilian shooting at a range or in competitive events.

As a side bar, I do travel internationally a lot for work, and have often wondered what level of care to expect if I was injured while in the middle of no where in South Central India, Southern Mongolia, or high in the mountains of Chile. Since I don't have any major medical conditions I assume that I don't need to have any special information with me other than my immunization record.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I'm ineligible to join up now based on age. One of my regrets in life is that I didn't serve my country when I was willing and able to do so. I can't change that now, but I can continue to support those that have answered the call by expressing my gratitude to them for their service.

If you think that I'm trying to be a poser, or "play army" than you are sadly mistaken. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you have grossly misconstrued the entire purpose of me posting this thread. Would you have jumped to some of the same conclusions if I had used the term "gun belt" instead of the commonly used phrase "battle belt?"

As others in this thread have posted, this is a very practical piece of gear for folks that shoot on a regular basis, and are doing more than just putting a few rounds through pie plates in the back yard (which is lots of fun by the way). Accidents can and do happen at any shooting range, be it a formal sportsman's club, or the back 40 at the farm. Having some basic first aid capabilities on hand, either on your person, or in a nearby range bag could make the difference in going home or going to the morgue.

Spent 8 years in the U.S. Army, back in the 60's, different time, different life. Was one of the lucky ones, depending on how one looks at it, spent my hitch in The Pentagon.

The ranges I attend and that I'm a member of and/or on the BOD have first aid boxes available in case of a mishap.

Only ones I see at any of the ranges I attend are either the Cowboy Shooters or the Muzzleloaders at times.

Once in a great while there is a fellow who does try to "play army", normally his stay is very short lived.

Sorry I took it the wrong way, actually never heard of the so called "Battle Belt". I imagined someone dressed in combat boots, wearing BDU's, yelling HHHOOOOORAAAAA.

Anyway, do as you see fit, and enjoy yourself.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Here in the states there is no reason to. The quickest way to get fired in the hosp is give the wrong blood. We wore patches in the sandbox with our names and blood type but that was a different scenario. Here in the states nobody carries blood in the field. Even with all the helicopters in IN, only IU carries blood on the aircraft. Even then you will get universal donor until you get to the hosp.

This seems to make sense. I can understand bllod type on GI dog tags and a medic/corpsman relying on that. But if I were an EMT or ER doc, I dont think I'd put a lot of reliance in the blood type on a home-generated tag or card.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    So now we not only have mall ninja's we have the range spec ops ninja.

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooK.

^ Thanks for reminding me why I'm so thankful for private land, where I can do whatever I please without the approval of a board. I think it's funny how some guys will judge the tactical crowd (I hate using "t" word) as "mall ninja's" and "want to be army men", yet won't think a thing of grown men parading around like cowboys or Daniel Boone :laugh:. To each his own, and I really try not to judge others for what they choose to spend their time and money on. IMO, whether your into AK's or black powder, both groups share a love for firearms, and shouldn't be at odds with one another.

Battle belt, war belt, molle belt, ...... or whatever you want to call, can be a super handy piece of gear. I keep a couple handgun and rifle mags loaded up on mine, dump pouch, holster, and trauma kit. When I'm ready to go shoot, I grab it and everything is there and ready to go. Snap it on when I want to shoot, and then snap it off when I'm done. I think having an emergency medical kit is a smart move, especially in my case where the nearest hospital is a looooong way away in the event of an accident. As far as the patches, it's probably more of a morale thing than useful, but I don't think it could hurt anything. I don't personally use them, but I have a very common blood type, no allergies, or medical conditions. If that weren't the case though, having them seems like a safe move, even though I think having something to stop blood loss in the first place is probably more important. Several of the guys I work with wear them on the velcro of their vest under their uniform shirt, and I admittedly have my blood type wrote on the calf of my uniform boots with a silver paint marker.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Here in the states there is no reason to. The quickest way to get fired in the hosp is give the wrong blood. We wore patches in the sandbox with our names and blood type but that was a different scenario. Here in the states nobody carries blood in the field. Even with all the helicopters in IN, only IU carries blood on the aircraft. Even then you will get universal donor until you get to the hosp.

I never had to go to the sandbox, so thank you, for your service.... during Annual Training, the people that had EVER been a HEAT Casualty, allergic to bee stings, and one other thing, their ear plug box was marked, with a colored tape, for whatever"their problem" was .....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Spent 8 years in the U.S. Army, back in the 60's, different time, different life. Was one of the lucky ones, depending on how one looks at it, spent my hitch in The Pentagon.

The ranges I attend and that I'm a member of and/or on the BOD have first aid boxes available in case of a mishap.

Only ones I see at any of the ranges I attend are either the Cowboy Shooters or the Muzzleloaders at times.

Once in a great while there is a fellow who does try to "play army", normally his stay is very short lived.

Sorry I took it the wrong way, actually never heard of the so called "Battle Belt". I imagined someone dressed in combat boots, wearing BDU's, yelling HHHOOOOORAAAAA.

Anyway, do as you see fit, and enjoy yourself.

Thank you for your service! :patriot:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If anyone is really worried about EMT response - wear dogtags. Bright red ones. EMTs are looking for that - not for patches on your clothing.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    the allergy patches make sense but blood type is pointless they aren't going to give you blood based on a velcro patch. we would all get the same stuff until it was determined anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    the allergy patches make sense but blood type is pointless they aren't going to give you blood based on a velcro patch. we would all get the same stuff until it was determined anyway.

yup.
    A little different trusting a dogtag in the military in a combat situation compared to a civilian. Chances are, they will not be flooded with people, have time to check, and the whole insurance thing. And you could have bought it cause it "looks neat".

firefighterm9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Milton
    I'm a current EMT-B and i have worked for a few services in the past 8 years and have never seen or heard of a quick blood test. Your blood has to go to a lab for the type to be found.

Top Bottom